View Poll Results: How do you feel about Random Encounters?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hate them, I'm happy more games are not using it anymore.

3 20.00%
  • I liked them, I mean sure they could be annoying at times but it's all a part of the charm!

4 26.67%
  • Never had a probalem with them, but not necessarily in love with them. If it works for the game...

4 26.67%
  • Meh, never cared one way or the other.

2 13.33%
  • Reaganomics!

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Encounters: Archaic nonsense or scrappy fun-time!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Random Encounters: Archaic nonsense or scrappy fun-time!

So we've all played RPGs, we've all most likely encountered random encounters one time or another, so how do you feel about them? Do you hate them? Happy they are being fazed out? Miss them? Never understood the hate? Indifferent? Talk about the pros and cons of one of the oldest RPG conventions.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think they have a place, but I do think that there are other options, like encountering enemies on the map and transitioning into a battle. Giving the player more choice in when they want to fight is excellent.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Kind of annoying, I guess it was a reasonable solution for the old school RPGs, but we dont need them anymore..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> Kind of annoying, I guess it was a reasonable solution for the old school RPGs, but we dont need them anymore..
    The gaming community believes otherwise, as the incredible success of Bravely Default might indicate.

That said, I think that being able to manipulate the encounter rate was a great addition to these. I like random encounters, but sometimes the encounter rate can be out of whack.

The only other system I've seen that's nearly as good for RPGs is Chrono Trigger's encounter system, which was also brilliant.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I doubt the gaming community makes purchasing decisions off of the presence of random encounters, to be honest.

Hell yeah I like Random encounters. Usually.

I'm glad there are more games that do other things to add variety.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I've never been a fan of random encounters. It's really irrational just how repetitive and disruptive I find them, considering I tend to happily seek out battles just as frequently as I would randomly encounter them in games that allow me to do so. Something about the act of deliberately entering a battle just feels nicer to me than having fifteen things jump out and slow me down when I'm trying to get from A to B.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

It's completely situational. If I'm almost dead and trying to get to town and trouts getting in my way, then yeah random encounters can go suck a knob. But on the other hand, if I'm grinding and all I have to do is run around in circles then yeah I love random encounters.

Also, random encounter+lack of save points+work in 15 min=a very bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    It's completely situational. If I'm almost dead and trying to get to town and trouts getting in my way, then yeah random encounters can go suck a knob.
    ...So basically you like Random Encounters when they make your game easier, but dislike them when they challange and give you a loss when you failed to properly prepare for the challange?

*runs away before the stabbing ensues*

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always used to like them, and I would have been a big defender of them from the days of FFVII - X. Now I feel like if random encounters are going to be in a game, there should be a way to manipulate encounter rates and such from the get go like Bravely Default. In most RPGs I've played, the enemies in random encounters are generally really easy for most of the game. It doesn't really add much challenge for me. They just exist to be able to grind.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    It's completely situational. If I'm almost dead and trying to get to town and trouts getting in my way, then yeah random encounters can go suck a knob.
    ...So basically you like Random Encounters when they make your game easier, but dislike them when they challange and give you a loss when you failed to properly prepare for the challange?

Don't get me wrong, I love a good challenge. If I'm trying to explore and end up tripping over the eldrich abomination of the week every two steps in a cave; that is not a good challenge. And that's just what happens, I enter a new area and go exploring for treasure and I encounter the Super Mega Ultra Death Marlboro Tonberry MkIII and after a tough fight I take two steps and fight the same damn thing again and again. And then I fight a fluffy bunny...that teamed up with the Super Mega Ultra Death Marlboro Tonberry MkIII and they fuse to make the Uber Super Mega Ultra Death Marlboro Tonberry MkIII and after those three fights I'm low on supplies, but luckily I'm only three smurfing feet from the exit. And then I take one step backwards and I'm ambushed by the Uber Super Mega Ultra Death Marlboro Tonberry MkIV Omega Weapon and it opens with the "No smurfing way you're surviving this laser" laser.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never liked them. I tolerate them and they don't keep me from playing the good RPGs that uses them, but I don't enjoy them. Ooh, what's th--? Random encounter. How about we go--? Random encounter. A treasure che--! Random encounter. Now I can open the treasure chest. *opens treasure chest*

Random encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

Cat and mouse......hide and seek makes it more fun!

I think encountering enemies on the field is just as annoying.....You try to run away and they're quick so you have to battle them anyways...or you waste time trying to get around them when you could have beat them in that time...

Plus, sometimes with random encounters there can be ways in game to change the amount of encounters you face (items equipment or w/e).

Also, for field encounters it depends on how they do it...sometimes you'll clear a room and all of a sudden monsters are back after returning to that room, but other times you have no enemies come back at all until you leave the dungeon completely (which can be annoying if you are raising levels...especially if you only need 1 exp to level up and then you need to leave the dungeon for 1 exp )

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    *opens treasure chest*

Random encounter.

That's not random...thief
    Last edited by Flaming Ice; 04-10-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    lol!

Seriously though, I can't remember which game it was but I can remember opening a treasure chest and having to a fight a monster that was inside it. Sneaky game is sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    lol!

Seriously though, I can't remember which game it was but I can remember opening a treasure chest and having to a fight a monster that was inside it. Sneaky game is sneaky.

3XOgres jump out of chest 3x smaller than them....magic~!

But some of the chests are the monsters too ~.~

I think quite a few of the FF games have that though.