Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Megathread: Everyone Get In It's Time to Boldly Go

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    The thing that makes DS9 so great is that it actually has an overarching long-term story. I mean, it's no Babylon 5 (everyone watch Bab 5 it makes Trek look awful and Trek is not awful) but it is a great show in part because of that.

Of course, Voyager has an overarching long-term story and is pretty poor so...
    Well when your overarching story is, "what say we fly home?" it's a bit difficult to make it good. Especially when the entire premise involves doing away with recurring enemies and cool alien races. Which is probably why they tried to shoe horn the Borg in so often.

Too bad that just made the Borg look like wimps when you have Voyager regularly encountering them and not being assimilated despite this being the race that destroyed a fleet, assimilated Picard, and traveled back in time to assimilate Earth, with the crew of the Enterprise only succeeding in beating them by the skin of their teeth each time.

And they also undercut the potential Voyager had by having them get into some battle with aliens every week only to be fully repaired the next. Paying lip service to the lack of resources and support, and their small number of crewmen here and there but never really having it matter. Focusing almost entirely on the main cast when they had a great platform to have recurring junior officers doing some interesting things, or even killing main cast members and having former recurring characters need to step up and grow. My point being, they had an interesting premise, but then basically ignored the potential it had in favour of using it to just introduce new alien races with a slightly different nose or forehead every week.

Anyway, going to have to disagree with TOS being the best personally. Don't get me wrong; it's great, has some great characters, and did some things that were utterly amazing, especially for the time. But TNG was better overall. In fact, the first two seasons of TNG are the worst seasons for that show, and they were the most like TOS. Read into that what you will.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    In fact, the first two seasons of TNG are the worst seasons for that show, and they were the most like TOS. Read into that what you will.
    This hurts my brain. TOS had a lot of timeless classics that are still good today provided you can look past the sixties special effects. The first two seasons of TNG had a couple of good episodes, two of which were about Data and one had the introduction of the Borg while the rest weren't very memorable.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, but TNG got astronomically better after those first two seasons, and they had a lot of episodes that I'd consider above most TOS episodes in terms of themes and subject matter.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

stuff about voyager
    It was doomed from the start, because the goal was unrealistic. 70 years to fly home at full speed, no stops? This is a TV show, right?

If you thought the Borg were mishandled, try the Kazon being the recurring enemy. It failed rather miserably, and they were like little children pouting. They didn't feel like a threat, and if Voyager hadn't flown through heavily defended territory, they would have been fine and avoided every Kazon encounter, including Basics, where they actually managed to get the ship.

Voyager got much better starting sometime in season 4, but we also got a lot more magical devices that would accidentally push Voyager home an extra 10 years every so often starting then. If you weren't assuming magic was going to get them home, the first three seasons of Voyager were great for you. The rest of us were not.

Yeah, but TNG got astronomically better after those first two seasons, and they had a lot of episodes that I'd consider above most TOS episodes in terms of themes and subject matter.
    That first season was trash.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you want to get straight down to it they could have avoided being stranded in the first place if Janeway followed the Prime Directive.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A whole lot of things would have been a whole lot better if Janeway had never risen above Ensign, which would still be a pretty generous rank for someone that incompetent and terrible.

Articles
    Blog Entries

A whole lot of things would have been a whole lot better if Janeway had never risen above Ensign, which would still be a pretty generous rank for someone that incompetent and terrible.
    She's gonna have a lot to answer for when she gets back to--

"Admiral Janeway"

THIS IS WHY WE ALMOST LOSS THE WAR TO THE DOMINION!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

TNG was best in the middle; seasons 3-6ish. 7 is an... interesting watch so far; I really get the feeling they were running out of ideas at this point.

I will never be able to say anything bad about TOS because I grew up on TOS and the TOS films and, as I am often fond of saying, I feel that they sort of raised me, in a way. The crew of the Enterprise will always feel like family to me.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    If you want to get straight down to it they could have avoided being stranded in the first place if Janeway followed the Prime Directive.
    Except for the part where she's able to de-balls the Borg in multiple timelines. Even though she got herself and her crew into so much trouble and has regularly shown disdain for the Prime Directive(s), she's handled her situation pretty well. Really, after introducing the Borg, we were bound to figure out how to match them in more cases than just telling them all to sleep.

... but if you guys want some really bad episodes, try watching Threshold. There is some absolutely terrible stuff in Voyager. I do mean terrible.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd rather never be reminded of Threshold again. Even though I've seen it maybe twice, and will none the less vividly recall it until I either die, or do enough cocaine to make me forget everything ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't remember Threshold at all.

Vivi despises and envies me now.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I don't remember Threshold at all.

Vivi despises and envies me now.
    RIGHT SO THERE'S THIS EPISODE WHERE THEY REACH WARP TEN LOL
    THE CHARACTER INTERACTION WAS GREAT AND POSED SOME SERIOUS PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTIONS LOL
    WE SOLVE THE ISSUE OF PROCREATION MULTIGENERATION OCCUPATION LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's that episode (third season?) where they find better dilithium which allows their warp drive to get past warp 9.97. They test it, and they reach warp ten, infinite velocity, by figuring out that the ship's nacelles are travelling faster than the ship carriage. Paris manages to undergo hyperspeed evolution as a result of the solo flight, turns into a lizard Pokemon, and kidnaps the captain (after dying) and they both procreate.

The episode ends with Tuvok shooting both of them in the face in some random swamp, and offscreen, the doctor reverses the process with an autism-destroying vaccine.

To begin to start explaining how many things went wrong here...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Now I remember.

That episode was hilarious.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

You know as much as I love Picard he really is such a stick in the mud when it comes to the Prime Directive.

"It's kind of like Star Trek: The Next Generation. While a good show in its own right, it will never be as recognized as the original."

~ Wayne Campbell

Your honors, I rest my case.