Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Megathread: Everyone Get In It's Time to Boldly Go

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    You know as much as I love Picard he really is such a stick in the mud when it comes to the Prime Directive.
    What, that little rule that they came up with so that civilizations can meet their destiny the way they should, with no interference from other worlds, y'know, that was named PRIME Directive?! :P

I think it's one of his best qualities because you know when he breaks the rules it's for a very very good reason.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

yeah but when they're willing to let an entire unique civilization die because of the prime directive that's when it gets really dumb.

That's when it becomes a philosophical debate which is what makes it so good.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting into a philosophical debate over whether or not to interfere and save pre-warp civilizations is still better than doing 90% of the trout Kirk did. The man once armed a pre-warp culture because the Klingons were arming their enemies (for reasons I don't remember but which almost certainly made zero sense). I mean, it made for an interesting metaphor that's still pretty relevant and was certainly relevant at the time. But could they at least have pretended that there were rules Kirk was supposed to follow?

And unless I'm just drawing a complete and utter blank, I can't think of any times off the top of my head where Picard was outright prepared to let a pre-warp civilization die because of the prime directive. There was once that he got pissed at Data for talking to a kid whose planet was dying when it was plainly a bad idea, but that's a different matter entirely.

But if we're being perfectly honest, having the Prime Directive was the smartest thing they added with TNG. Rules regarding non-interference with other countries and cultures are something we could use more of in the world. Not less.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    And unless I'm just drawing a complete and utter blank, I can't think of any times off the top of my head where Picard was outright prepared to let a pre-warp civilization die because of the prime directive.
    Homeward (episode) - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

Their planet was dying and Picard was all "sorry but tough luck"

Edit: Kirk had the misfortune of being at the hands of Roddenberry all the time which meant that everything he did was MANIFEST DESTINY IN SPACE. When he wasn't doing that he was a much better captain than he gets credit for.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah Picard's done this like three or four times, from outright letting a civilization die to "merely" letting it go through incredibly tumultuous and dangerous times that might mark the end of it or might not, but it won't be pretty either way.

The Prime Directive is a pretty great idea and an important principle, and I do really like that Picard adheres to it so scrupulously even when I personally think it's stupid because it makes the future seem really different and weird. It's also definitely something that should have some clauses about "If an entire biosphere is about to die then the Prime Directive is void holy Kahless save those people."

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, to clarify I'm not saying "The Prime Directive is stupid!" I think it's a good principle. But I'm saying "Uhh guys people are actually dying here sometimes"

But that's the question.. I hate to, but just like in Into Darkness - Kirk doesn't give a damn about it when a whole budding civilization is threatened, and even though he's baby Kirk from alternate timeline he'd still have done it in TOS without batting an eye.

It's something you have to interpret for yourself - Most people would say break it for the good of the people but as people we don't know what is good for the galaxy or beyond.. eh who knows

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay guys I'm gonna open up a new question:

Is Into Darkness really that bad?

I don't think it is. One of Trek's finest moments? No. Better than, say, Treks I and V? Yes. Yes by a longshot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't think Into Darkness was bad, and the only people I see saying it was tend to be hardcore fans who hate anything to do with the reboot or people being nitpicky. I thought it was great and a real step up from the first movie.

That said, saying it's better than Star Trek I and V really isn't saying much.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    It's something you have to interpret for yourself - Most people would say break it for the good of the people but as people we don't know what is good for the galaxy or beyond.. eh who knows
    Yeah but being able to help and choosing not to because of some nebulous possibility that it will turn out badly in the long run is just as presumptive as sticking your oar in everywhere regardless of whether it's needed. Like at that stage you get into such abstract thinking that there's no point to doing anything. Maybe in five thousand years helping Primitive Race X will have turned out to be a terrible idea, but that's for people in 7350 to worry about.

Oh, and I don't think Into Darkness is Trek's finest hour, but it's still a movie I enjoyed a whole lot.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I don't have much to add to this thread other than this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Yeah but being able to help and choosing not to because of some nebulous possibility that it will turn out badly in the long run is just as presumptive as sticking your oar in everywhere regardless of whether it's needed. Like at that stage you get into such abstract thinking that there's no point to doing anything. Maybe in five thousand years helping Primitive Race X will have turned out to be a terrible idea, but that's for people in 7350 to worry about.
    Very fair. As to your previous point yeah it makes people of the future seem pretty detached, but as a kid I also thought TNG made me feel like the future was a world without toilets or (much) blood or sweat etc. - definitely a big impact on me

I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness except (SPOILER)OG Spock and the KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN yell.

Though I knew the latter had to happen

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Personally I think it's better than Nemesis and Insurrection as well - but then it has been years (at least a decade in fact) since I have seen either of those so I'll come back with my final report after I rewatch those in the next couple of weeks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Personally I think it's better than Nemesis and Insurrection as well - but then it has been years (at least a decade in fact) since I have seen either of those so I'll come back with my final report after I rewatch those in the next couple of weeks.
    Yeah, but it generally doesn't take much to be better than films that flopped. Which is my point. Unless you're arguing this because people have been saying Into Darkness is worst than those films. They need a good firm smack across the head if that's the case.

You're a Data fan, aren't you? Don't watch Nemesis.