Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default Sin and Zanarkand SPOILERS

I've brought up similar topics before, but I have a different, related question: what does Zanarkand look like once Tidus leaves? Is Dream Zanarkand a persistent world? Or is it a kind of Groundhog Day?

The whole Jecht getting to Spira by falling through some temporal vortex out in the ocean while training is a bit bollocks imo but it's a satisfactory enough excuse for how he left, but the idea that Auron could just cruise through riding on Sin's back is a little bit bonkers.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You know how when your Valefor dies it just takes a while (a bunch of battles) and then it's magically and instantly back to full health?

Yeah, maybe that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You bring up a really good point that's always bothered me: Jecht appearing in Spira. It's total trout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    You bring up a really good point that's always bothered me: Jecht appearing in Spira. It's total trout.
    Maybe the fayth moved him there, like a summon.

As for the city, I think that it was as Karifean says, magically restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Dream Zanarkand is an Aeon. It is an actual place, located far out at sea. Hecht went out to sea, and eventually wound up on Spira.

There was no "temporal vortex", nothing mystical. He just sailed out to sea and wound up in a new location.

Sin, probably while Jecht still hand some control, carried Auron there (Auron was dead anyway, so Sin wouldn't exactly do anything to him). The same way, just moving across the water.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Skyblade has this 100% correct. There's actually a really telling line that's suppose to hint you in if you didn't put it together towards the end of FFX. Before you fight Sin's head above Bevelle, you talk with Yuna and she asks "what is Yu Yevon summoning inside of Sin?" and Tidus answers "The dream of the Fayth."

Here's an Ultimania Map that depicts Dream Zanarkand as in the middle of an Ocean:

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I just imagined that he went all Truman and kept sailing 'til he hit something.

I don't know if a Dream becoming corporeal after being dreamed/summoned can be called "not mystical".

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I don't know if a Dream becoming corporeal after being dreamed/summoned can be called "not mystical".
    I didn't say there was nothing mystical about Dream Zanarkand, I said there was nothing mystical about Jecht reaching Spira. He literally just got in a boat and drifted there.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I see. I thought the sentence with the temporal vortex was meant as overall connection for Spira and Zanarkand, not just in context with Jecht going through the vortex that does not exist. Many people think exactly that when the see the beginning and hear Rikku's story and then wonder about the whole story as it truly is.

Why is Jecht the only one who has ever done that? You'd think explorers would be doing it all the time.

Also, if Jecht was already just a dream of the Fayth then how could he become sin after the pilgrimage he went on?

Also, if Sin is there to protect Dream Zanarkand why the hell does he blow the crap out of it at the start of the game?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah, if the fayth were the only thing keeping Jecht alive, and their purpose was to defeat Sin, then surely stopping their dreaming at any point would've been fine.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Yeah, if the fayth were the only thing keeping Jecht alive, and their purpose was to defeat Sin, then surely stopping their dreaming at any point would've been fine.
    A fayth CAN'T choose to stop being summoned. They granted the summoner their power, and ever since then that summoner can call forth their aeon.

Bahamut's fayth asks Tidus to "let them rest, because they were tired of dreaming", remember? This very much implies they cannot simply do it themselves.

@Crop: We don't know if Jecht was the only one. The Order of Yevon has "Sin's Toxin" as a convenient excuse if anyone said they came from Zanarkand.

There's no problem with a dream of the fayth becoming a fayth themselves. Aeons are just as physically existent as anyone else, just as real as anyone else, the only (main) difference is that their existence fades when the summoning stops.

As for why Sin attacked Dream Zanarkand, the most common theory I've heard is that Jecht had enough control over Sin to make it go near it, which it generally isn't supposed to. That's when Sin's instinct to destroy machina cities came into play, and things went their course.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

it's dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    The whole Jecht getting to Spira by falling through some temporal vortex out in the ocean while training is a bit bollocks imo but it's a satisfactory enough excuse for how he left, but the idea that Auron could just cruise through riding on Sin's back is a little bit bonkers.
    DZ is a physical location in Spira.

The only person in the story who thinks anyone time traveled is Tidus.

Auron is dead, which means he's literally Hitler-Madoka-Jesus and do whatever he wants. As far as Jecht is concerned, he has limited willpower through his status as Sin, so his trips to and from DZ are limited by Yevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Why is Jecht the only one who has ever done that? You'd think explorers would be doing it all the time.

Also, if Jecht was already just a dream of the Fayth then how could he become sin after the pilgrimage he went on?

Also, if Sin is there to protect Dream Zanarkand why the hell does he blow the crap out of it at the start of the game?
    Accident. It's one of those once-in-a lifetime things. Yevon can hard-reset DZ, in the same way you would reformat a computer, which limits people in the regular Spira from finding out about it. Normally, people who drift out to sea would be killed or people would assume that the survivor is nuts; exceptions, Braska believing Jecht or Rikku letting Tidus live. Guess how those stories ended?

DZ and its population work exactly like Aeons. They're summoned, and if they're summoned, Yevon can possess them.

Jecht as Sin destroyed DZ, to fetch Tidus, as part of a plan between him and Auron, and then let Yevon hard-reset it. He has some autonomy, but not much.