Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: THIS IS THE OFFICIAL THREAD FOR SID MEIER'S ALPHA CENTAURI 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I'm still a little sad that they're making a new Alpha Centauri style game when they could be making a new Master of Orion style game. But I am curious how this will play out. I never did like all the gameplay changes Alpha Centauri made to the Civilization formula (a lot of them just seemed unnecessary and confusing), so I'll be curious how this version plays out.
    look how wrong you are how does it feel to be this wrong
    Say what you like. Master of Orion II is the best 4X game ever created, and easily the best sci-fi game in the genre as well.

As for SMAC... While the game did a lot right, especially with the handling of factions, overall, I prefer the mechanics of the Civilization games. If I had a choice of which to play, I'd go back to Civilization II Fantastic Worlds over SMAC. I just prefer the gameplay. Maybe it was because I'd played so many Civilization games before, but the changes to building and colony control just really felt off to me.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I am now declaring victory over Vivi22 in this discussion due to assist from Manus.

I am disappointed until someone says "Brain Worms"

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I am now declaring victory over Vivi22 in this discussion due to assist from Manus.
    Ah, declaring a false victory to salvage your ego. Very well.

But when the Hive takes your cities you will be nerve stapled like any other drone.

On a less 'I"m just saying trout to poke at Pike cause that is fun' note, I actually don't see a reason why this shoudln't turn out well.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Dude SMAC is insanely easy to get into. I was utterly uninterested in this genre of games when I was that age and only even bothered trying SMAC because it came bundled with the PC I got when I was 13 but god damn it was the best thing ever. Mastering SMAC is not a feat to be feared, it's the most glorious adventure one can undertake. DO IT NOW and get alien crossfire as well because mmm mmm space pirates hell yes
    I meant more that the last time I tried to join the cool kids I had trouble figuring out how to get it running on my laptop or whatever. It's been a while and now I have an excuse to be a lazy trout.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Ohhh I can't wait. After 800+ hours of Civ V I need a MOAR! Civ is about the only thing I've played that doesn't have DayZ in the name for the last few months.

I'll settle for "Nerve Staple the Gene Jacks" too.

Also all this talk about 4X games makes me want to try out Last Federation, a game available on GOG.com! Conveniently enough you can get Alpha Centauri, Masters of Orion, and the Age of Wonders series there! I'm plugging the hell outa this site when I should be plugging the hell out of Centaurilization here!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm reasonably sure I own like 90% of the GOG library at this point.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What's the easiest way for me to play the first SMAC at this point?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    What's the easiest way for me to play the first SMAC at this point?
    Buy it from GOG. It comes complete with all the adjustments needed to run well on current machines, and it isn't even that expensive ($6.00).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I just bought it from there, actually, following that link.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Oh, hey, that's an option then. Much easier than trying to figure it out myself.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.