Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food dealbreakers

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am opposed to hunting endangered animals but support farming endangered animals. I would be quite unkind to someone if they ate stuff like that around me.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Guinea pigs because I like guinea pigs. Though I wouldn't care a great deal if someone else did.

Lobster tomalley, off the top of my head. Not sure what it is about the stuff, but I had a friend that used to devour it whenever we had lobster, and I always found it noticeably nauseating. I can probably think of other things like Rocky Mountain Oysters that I'd probably find unappealing as well, but nothing like that is eaten commonly around here, so I haven't been exposed to it.

Regarding the consumption of endangered species, I'm largely indifferent to it, especially if it is normal cultural cuisine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The smell of fish usually makes me sick. I don't think it's all fish, I'm fine with tuna, but the smell of most fish does make me feel sick. But I hate being rude so I'll just ignore it as best as I can and if people ask why I look a bit sick I just tell them I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

This isn't someone else, but I can't eat ribs. I mean, I like them but holding them feels too much like, well ribs, and I just lose my appetite. I'm very squeamish about stuff like that. But I don't mind other people eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    I am opposed to hunting endangered animals but support farming endangered animals. I would be quite unkind to someone if they ate stuff like that around me.
    I long for the day this happens so I can go into a Panda Express and get some actual Panda.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The irony is, if they actually established proper farms for the endangered species, it would also allow them to divert a small percentage of the animals bred off to conservation programs which would see their numbers grow in the wild too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Not necessarily a qualm about eating certain types of food (you would have to be eating something very strange like bugs or something to get me squeamish) but when I was a server for a restaurant, I was always infuriated by customers that wasted food. I got annoyed when kids barely ate their food and their parents were okay with and let me throw it away. I disliked old guys who would order a steak dinner, barely touched the salad, ignored the potatoes and just ate the damn steak and here I am throwing away all of this food. It bothered a lot of the servers so please for the love of all that is good, get a take out box and don't waste food.
    This. As a vegetarian, I have no problem with/do not judge any meat eaters. It tastes, smells, and looks great. My choice is my own, and I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about their eating habits because of how I choose to eat.

BUT, as a vegetarian and former dishwasher, it is infuriating to be continuously scraping off plates full of well-cooked, quality meat. This animal died for your sustenance. The least you can do is eat the smurfing thing.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    This isn't someone else, but I can't eat ribs. I mean, I like them but holding them feels too much like, well ribs, and I just lose my appetite. I'm very squeamish about stuff like that. But I don't mind other people eating them.
    You could eat what are called "country style" ribs I bet! They often don't have any bone in them at all. Delicious rib meat, no scary bones.

Signature by rubah. I think.

I tend to try anything once. If it repulses me that one time, I shanst not try it again. Pox... and I LOVE pineapple on pizza. *chuffs* My ex and I would trade some of the toppings of the King Arthur. She'd give me the little sausages because normally she'd just pick them off and leave them lying there. I would give her my olives because she was crazy about olives. None of that has anything to do with this.

I don't like pastrami or seasoned roast beef as sandwich meat. I think sardines taste like tuna, but I've never tried anchovies, but I have eaten eel on sushi. The rubbery stringiness of octopus put me off eating it. Hmm... I'm not really good at this.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    You could eat what are called "country style" ribs I bet! They often don't have any bone in them at all. Delicious rib meat, no scary bones.
    I like ribs, but I always find them not very filling because of the limited meat you get from them. That actually sounds delicious.

Shrimp for me used to be dealbreaker. It looks disgusting, with their eyes and pink veiny appearance. However, I eventually plucked up the courage to eat one and they actually tasted pretty nice. I still can't stand the look of them though.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Try to get them without their heads and tails. Makes them much easier to eat, and helps with the presentation if you're not a fan of their adorableness.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't have a problem with anything else a person is eating, unless they are willingly eating dog. I'd probably be pretty freaked out by that. Actually, okay I have problems with cheese, so it is difficult for me to watch someone eat a whole thing of lasagna knowing full well I want that in my belly and full well I cannot have it. DAMN YOU

I can't eat a lot of things without having stomach issues, but that doesn't mean it's a deal breaker for me (but it should be). I'd be averse to eating egg yolk, or yoke, whatever. I don't like scrambled eggs, sunnyside up, omelets, etc. I can only eat the white of the egg. If someone puts whip cream in my drink when I didn't ask for that to be whip cream, I will not drink it, not because I don't think it's delicious I just really don't want my stomach to hurt. Same thing goes with cheese, but I often specifically say no cheese as Americans love putting cheese on everything and sometimes even when I say no cheese they do it anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't think of any instances where I was repulsed by what other people were eating, but I don't normally pay that much attention to what other people are eating. There aren't that many bizarre things over here that would be considered taboo to eat.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Snails, and also the norwegian dishes lutefisk and smalahovud. The smell of lutefisk alone makes me nauseous.

I've eaten some sort of whale meat sometime when I was a kid. It wasn't all that special. I forgot what kind it was.

As for what i think is "fine" to eat from a moral or ethical standpoint, whatever isn't an endangered species, isn't killed just to eat a very small portion for so to throw away the rest, and isn't killed in an unnecessarily slow or painful way.

I also can't stand broccoli. I can eat it if it's mixed into something else and the broccoli taste is overpowered by other tastes, but otherwise, that's being left on my plate no matter where I eat.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I also can't stand broccoli. I can eat it if it's mixed into something else and the broccoli taste is overpowered by other tastes, but otherwise, that's being left on my plate no matter where I eat.
    I LOVE broccoli. Put some gravy on that, and place it as part of a classic roast dinner... my God.