View Poll Results: If Final Fantasy XI went free to play, would you play it?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! I dislike subs, this would be awesome.

7 17.95%
  • Yeah. I like sub games, but I don't think FFXI justifies it.

6 15.38%
  • I play FFXI already. I would carry on.

3 7.69%
  • I dunno... maybe.

9 23.08%
  • Nah. I just don't feel the desire.

13 33.33%
  • Hell no! Subscription is the only way to go! F2P would ruin FFXI.

1 2.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Final Fantasy XI went free to play, would you play it?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I've always been fascinated with the game and have tried playing it a few times but I just couldn't get into it, the interface was just impossible for me to navigate and the macro system confused me. I loved the idea of the game though. I heard so much about it from friends who played it for years and I just couldn't connect with it.

Mind, if it were free I'd definitely give it a try. I'm just enjoying FFXIV so much though that XI would be... a major downgrade in game quality now though...

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would try it, but MMOs do not grip me that well it seems.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Would definitely give it a try. I'm too broke at the moment to pay for a sub for FFXIV, which I would love to continue playing, let alone something new. Making it F2P would give me a chance to play a FF MMO (albeit not my preferred of the two) without the financial outlay.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

No. Bought it during a Steam sale and like Mr. Shauna I spent more time installing it, setting up accounts etc, than I actually did playing it. I still have so much to do in FFXIV that I wouldn't even consider XI unless I was seriously bored of XIV, even then I'd probably go back to WoW instead.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

I'd have to think about it.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

I would definitely give it a try. I remember anticipating the initial release and reading coverage in a few gaming magazines, but unfortunately I didn't own a computer at the time and ended up missing the boat.

I played and loved it for 8 or so years, but I have no desire to play it ever again especially if it went F2P.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> yes but I would need a free internet connection too .. Thanks god we still dont have to pay to breath air..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No, I would cancel my current subscription.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

I still pay, eleven years strong. As long as the core game doesn't change, I would continue to play it sporadically. If it becomes riddled with microtransactions, well... meh. Less likely to continue at that point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Balls yeah! My wife and I have been missing this game dearly after trying the trial version, but we just can't afford it in our situation.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I may pop in for old time's sake but I've had my time at FFXI and I've moved on. It was a great run while it lasted!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I had a free month. I played it twice. It... just did not grab me. If it were free, I wouldn't have to worry about "running out of time" to try and get into it, but then would I even boot it up again? I don't know. I'm leaning more towards not playing it at all, I'd think.
    Similar situation for me, I bought the ultimate pack (or whatever it's called) on sale a year or so ago with a free month, played it twice for a collective hour or so and then lost all interest.

Hell, yes. I don't feel like paying a monthly fee for a game I've already bought. I wish overall this game would have been a regular main installment and offline which would have given its fan-base more common ground to dicuss it's plot and characters. If you think of how much money you would spend on this game monthly over the years, that's way to much for one game. Cancel the monthly fee, and you've got me as a gamer for FFXI.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Even with the monthly fee, I still pay less for FFXI per hour played than I do for any other normal retail game. Wanting FF11 to be free is sort of like buying a car and expecting the roads you drive on to be maintained for free. I'm not sure exactly how things work where you live, but I am pretty sure that you pay for road maintenance either through taxes or perhaps toll roads, even if you did pay for your car already.

If you think about how much money you'd spend on the game over the years, you also have to think about how much you'd be playing it, and that you can also stop the subscription and restart it when you want. The months when I have been the most heavily invested in FFXI, I didn't have time to play a lot of any games, and therefore probably saved more money on other games not bought, than I spent on the monthly subscription.

If you want an offline Final Fantasy, you have 12 main games to choose from already. Being online is one of the things that changes the gaming experience the most from the other games in the series, remove that, and the game might as well not have been made.

Not to mention, the revenue from the game has been a very valuable asset to SE through the years where they didn't do as well in general. In fact, they've most likely cannibalized FFXI to support the development of many other games. So in a way, you if you are a fan of other SE games, FFXI has positively affected you even if you never paid for the game.

I don't really consider myself very rich, but seriously, the cost of any game subscription these days is so low compared to other expenses in an adult person's life that it is almost a ridiculous to complain about. I pay 800 bucks in rent and 100 dollars on electricity a month, what is a measly 12 dollars a month for a game? Not much, that's what. It's a cinema ticket (2 hours of entertainment) or a reasonably sized and tasty burger (half an hour of "omg this is good"). At the same time, those 12 bucks put into a MMO game lets me play for as much as humanly possible for an entire month. That's potentially 238 hours of entertainment, assuming 6 hours of playing for every weekday and 14 hours every day of the weekend. Bang for your buck is hardly the deciding factor here, but rather if you enjoy the game or not.
    Last edited by Mirage; 06-13-2014 at 04:28 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?