View Poll Results: Who will really win 2014: Consoles or PC?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Consoles, because PS4 + Xbox One.

4 14.81%
  • PC, because the game lineup looks better.

9 33.33%
  • Yes

14 51.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will really win 2014: Consoles or PC?

Articles

I want to see what Nintendo are doing. 3DS was really strong last year, and this year Wii U are actually pushing out games people might want to play (Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers). Nothing on the XB1 or PS4 grabs me yet.

I've never really been one for PC gaming though, but I can see why it is the preferred medium for many. It is probably the best way to game if you know what you're doing there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

PlayStation and Xbox will fight it out in a blood infested battle until some old guy goes, "No more!" and takes out his Wii. Meanwhile, the PC Master Race, already owning Xbox, will assimilate PlayStation into its stronghold and begin a full scale invasion against the world until the old man finally emerges to play with his Wii, causing the enemy to self destruct in its confusion and save the world.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Doesn't PC always win, really?
    Nope. Last year was a clear victory for the 3DS. The PC didn't have near the quality lineup that the 3DS had in 2013, even if the PC did still crush the consoles.
    PC had Antichamber, Rogue Legacy, Outlast, Gunpoint, The Stanley Parable, and several other cool titles I know I'm forgetting so I'd give it the win last year easily. You can always count on the PC for interesting new titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Doesn't PC always win, really?
    Nope. Last year was a clear victory for the 3DS. The PC didn't have near the quality lineup that the 3DS had in 2013, even if the PC did still crush the consoles.
    PC had Antichamber, Rogue Legacy, Outlast, Gunpoint, The Stanley Parable, and several other cool titles I know I'm forgetting so I'd give it the win last year easily. You can always count on the PC for interesting new titles.
    I think Antichamber has been somewhat overrated. It may be a decent game, with a truly fantastic concept, but I wouldn't rate it as "great".

Gunpoint is an ok game, but also not great. I enjoyed my time with it, but it had some truly odd design choices. The developer commentary even speaks of this, if you've watched it. The design changed a ton over the course of development, and it left some oddities in the final work, in my opinion. It's a fun little puzzler, but it is no Mark of the Ninja.

The Stanley Parable is not PC exclusive, so it loses some points towards the "PC wins" column. Of course, it isn't available on 3DS, so maybe it gets those back. Hmm... Eh, I'll give it to you.

Rogue Legacy I've heard is great, but I can't say I am even aware of Outlast. But I won't criticize it without knowing about it.

So, The Stanley Parable, Rogue Legacy, and Outlast against Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Farm: New Leaf, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon X and Y, and Rune Factory 4. And that's just off the top of my head, and limiting out titles that I've heard are fantastic but haven't played. I'm also excluding titles like Bravely Default and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, even though those were available to our European members.

As much as I love my PC, my 3DS had an utterly fantastic year.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Papers, Please
    The Wolf Among Us
    Path of Exile
    Gone Home
    DOTA2
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Europa Universalis IV
    Monaco
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

And then you have things like Bioshock Infinite and Payday 2 which weren't exclusive, but you definitely can't get them on 3DS.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    until some old guy goes, "No more!" and takes out his Wii.

until the old man finally emerges to play with his Wii
    I'm trying to figure out if this double entendre was intentional or not.

If emulation has taught me anything, it's that there is no real difference between console gaming and PC gaming. I've played all kinds of console games right on my PC, and further, I learnt a while back that the Super Nintendo's game library was mosty programmed on Apple computers, so these games could reasonably have been ported back to their native habitat (FF6, Chrono Trigger) and still have been the same games.

There really isn't much difference between the two. It's a lame answer, I know, but it's the nitty gritty of it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    If we're talking about the younger generation then I think mobile and handheld gaming is the real winner.
    This. The real winner is mobile and handheld. No traditional console is selling well in Japan anymore, the PS4 is currently doing even worse than the WiiU. They're performing better in Western markets and I don't think they'll be in real danger there, and PC is going strong as well with a tremendous array of games out there and on the way in just about every genre you can imagine. But casual stuff on mobiles is where things seem to be going.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I dont care who wins but, with the money you need for a computer that run the games smoothly you can buy like 3 consoles..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> I dont care who wins but, with the money you need for a computer that run the games smoothly you can buy like 3 consoles..
    1394988611674.jpg

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    1394988611674.jpg
    Kids these days. So silly.

It'd be nice if everyone who said this actually priced up a computer at least once.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I can build a computer that runs current-gen games just fine, for less than the cost of XBOX One on it's own, with 0 games. Heck, the PC I built 3 years ago can still run current games perfectly, and it still cost me less than one of the new consoles.

Also looking at that list of games for this year gives me many sads, the only things on that list I'm remotely interested in are SMAC2 and Dreamfall.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

It'd be nice if everyone who said this actually priced up a computer at least once.
    >>> I did, it was like $2.000 dollars..

Build a computer? not everyone in the world are tech geeks who like to tear apart and rebuild their devices you know..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

>>> I did, it was like $2.000 dollars..

Build a computer? not everyone in the world are tech geeks who like to tear apart and rebuild their devices you know..
    Even without building your own (which is stupidly easy by the way), you could easily buy a PC for far less than $2,000 that will run modern games well.

Anyone who thinks it costs that much to have a decent gaming rig is just flat out wrong, I'm sorry.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

$200 laptop is all you need to be able to run all the games that matter (aka just about everything on GOG)

That's all I'm gonna say about it though, cause I refuse to be dragged into PC vs. Consoles Rehash #25636324! I LOVE VIDEO GAMES.
    Last edited by Pike; 04-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.