Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were Lulu and Wakka right for each other?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Were Lulu and Wakka right for each other?

Do you think their relationship was believable? Do you think their relationship really could've lasted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Obviously not, but Wakka was Chappu`s brother so he had the upper hand with Lulu..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles

Always found that it didn't seem to fit. Lulu didn't show any sort of care towards wakka in the first game, only real development we get between them is that they shared the common interest in Chappu. She is generally cold to Wakka, but is not an ice queen as she is mothering to Yuna throughout the game.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never made sense, just like most FF romances. She never seemed to be too close to Wakka in the first game. She was plainly pretty cold to him, even if they were still friends (sort of). They just went from friends to parents with no real build up. It seemed like Square figured every one had to have some sort of changes in their lives so the only two characters in Besaid might as well get it on because we can't think of anything else they could do.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

These were my feelings as well. Like, Yuna and Tidus are pretty unbelievable, but you can KIND OF see it. Tidus is very childlike but really grows up during the game, and Yuna is very serious but mellows out during the game.

Now, Lulu and Wakka have a similar problem, but I don't think Wakka matures enough to really be right for Lulu. He does grow in a lot of ways, namely coming to terms with his radical faith/being betrayed by his faith and his racism. But Lulu is kind of cold, very blunt, and very serious. Wakka is kind of a doofus who doesn't really think his actions through well enough.

I think it's fairly believable they got together consider he's Chappu's brother and they go through this incredibly big world-changing, life-changing journey together. But I don't think I believe them staying together after they settle back down in Besaid. Being friends and 'family' forever? Absolutely. Getting married and being happy? No.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

There are a few unexplained characteristic inconsistencies between Sin era and eternal calm, I just like to ignore X-2 as far continuation of the story/characters goes. The coupling of these two characters doesn't really make a lot of sense. That is until you consider what Wakka's options are; without re-locating he has to choose between Lulu, that "stay-away-from-the-summoner" whiny old bitch, or one of his Aurochs team mates. I'd still probably choose one of the Aurochs, surely at least one of them has to be a keeper.

I personally think the developers just wanted to cook up a story in Besaid for those characters, to give Yuna and co. a reason to want to revisit, and what a microwave meal of a story it is. Oh well, At least their child won't ever go hungry.

So no, I don't think the characters are suited at all, but given the limited option for potential partners due to their small island with a very small population a relationship born out of convenience could make "sense".
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, Wakka's only other option was a bucket NPC lady.

Articles

Could have invented some new characters associated to Yevon as Wakka clearly still follows those teachings.. Or just had them not have kids at all. I think I'd prefer those options.

Yeah I never really thought Wakka and Lulu would end up together, there's never any sign of something there during the first game. It would have been cool if Square made Rikku a bit older and have her end up with Wakka, since he was so against the Al Bhed at first. It would have been a cool idea for them to explore, imo.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Lulu was very guarded because of Chappu and because of her past experiences as a guardian and her (then) current position as Yuna's guardian. The fact that she was cold and serious does not mean she didn't hold any affection for Wakka; indeed, the fact that she tolerated him at all is a sure sign that he had a soft spot in her heart. If you listen to the conversation between them on the SS Liki (or maybe the other one), they are able to have serious conversations about serious topics together.

Wakka is -- surprisingly for a pious man -- very undisciplined. He's a bloke. He likes playing Blitzball and having a laugh. This doesn't mean he can't knuckle down; the man raised his younger brother, and then basically had Chappu spit in his face before going and getting himself killed.

The two of them knew each other from a young age, and formed a close bond. Whether that would translate into a romance later in life isn't clear, but plenty of people have success with a childhood sweetheart, and despite this being a different set of circumstances (Chappu and Lulu being the sweethearts of course), it's still highly probable that something would have happened between them.

RPG romances are often half-baked anyway, but it's common assumption that time, proximity, and enduring tough circumstances pushes people together. I mean, everybody seems to want to date someone they went to school with, despite the statistical probabilities of them being extremely compatible with you being low. You are in a situation, you want companionship, so you seek it out and whitewash some of the problems. Saving the world is obviously a big deal but I just point to Speed as a piece of media that leans on the idea that stress breeds "love". Not the most academic resource but whatever you should hopefully understand my point.

All that being said, having this take place off screen makes it seem unbelievable. If it developed over the course of X-2 then it might have been believable, but as NPCs it was never going to have enough screen time to make sense without seeming forced and unrealistic. "HEY YUNA GUESS WHAT LULU AND I ARE DATING NOW, YA KNOW?" "YUNA, WAKKA PUT A BABY IN ME." Ugh.

The question of whether or not they were right for each other has a pretty simple answer, I think. Yes. They don't have any issues, they care about each other, they like being with each other, they have compatible goals and ambitions, neither abuses the other. That sounds like a decent enough relationship to me. They seem genuinely happy and isn't that the criteria we judge partnerships on?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm in agreement with Jinx. They have enough foundation to get together but I don't the foundation for their relationship was strong enough to build a family off of. Unless they did the nasty and now they're just staying together because kids. But you don't get that vibe.

They're like a goofball pair of a failed NBC sitcom. I never liked them together much. But hey, Lulu doesn't change when she gets pregnant, so who knows, maybe she just has tons of secret children with lots of dumbasses all over Spira as a big joke. Someone has to populate that trouthole of a world.

I still think Lulu was more hung up on Chappu than she was in love with Wakka by the time FFX-2 rolled around. Sure the game was 2 years later, but I don't know if the whole dating your dead fiance's brother is a common thing in fantasy-land.

I do see how close though that death brought Lulu and Wakka. They didn't just avoid each other and move on, they let it bring them together and be a comfort for each other as they began their pilgrimage with Yuna and the crew. They worked together to get their minds off Chappu's death by partaking in the journey.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wakka likes to play with water ball in the day and Lulu has two big balls up the chest for him to play with in the night. What is there to say?

Lulu fancied and crushed on Wakka's brother and she seemed to find Wakka annoying and always seemed to find him irritating, it seemed more like a friendship or brother-ship than crushing or love.

It seems like Lulu started loving him because he was the only thing left that reminded her of her actual love interest. It was very very awkward.