Thread: The Dungeon and Scenario Design

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Dungeon and Scenario Design

I didn't realize it until my latest playthrough of the Steam version, but I really appreciate the dungeon and scenario design in this game.

There's a lot of well-designed story parts; infiltrating the president's train, assassinating the sorceress, sneaking into the rocket base, liberating Balamb, ..., fighting Propagators, exploring the different pathways Lunatic Pandora. There's always a lot to do in these scenarios and it makes them feel lively, like you're doing more than just going everywhere and killing stuff to get to the next area and rinse and repeat.

This is something I feel the games of the PSX-era have over all the games that came after and also the games that came before. I especially noticed it in FF VIII more than in VII and IX, and I very much enjoy it. I mean, how many areas of these games are just go through and kill randoms while you're at it? Not to deny FF VIII has these areas as well, but it has way more interesting scenarios.

Ultimecia's Castle in particular is easily my favorite final dungeon in the series. We've had multi-party dungeons in VI and VII (although VII was just a split-up with two paths) but VIII goes far beyond just that, making you unlock several parts of the castle yourself all the while struggling with your locked-away abilities. The castle is a joy to explore and complete.

Discuss.

I am not really impressed by the dungeons. Does Ultimecia's castle look good I think? Of course. It is a castle. However when I think about it the only real dungeon I somehow like is the Research Island. The scenarios, not just dungeons alone, are colourful.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

VIII is kind of a weird game because while I agree they do a good job making the dungeons have some variety to them, I don't feel many of them are memorable. I mean I feel that Ultimecia's Castle is probably one of the best final dungeons in the series by gameplay standards but I find the place to be kind of boring from a story atmosphere point of view. Perhaps that is the issue, since I have so many issues with the story it's hard to really feel involved in the world.

It has some of the best "Dungeon Music." I love listening to it in the Fire Cavern or Centra Ruins.