Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera & Photography Talk

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

As you might have gathered from Shorty's first post, I kinda like photography too. I have a Samsung NX20, which is a mirrorless system camera or whatever you want to call them. I'm satisfied with it, for the most part. The only things that bother me about it are not related to the hardware itself, but that said hardware might be worthless if I choose to upgrade to a "real" DSLR later, so I usually think twice about buying more lenses and such for it.

I like it because of its compact size, with the prime lens i usually use for it, it's really light and stress-free to bring around anywhere I want to go, while it still takes really good pictures. I recently bought some macro extention tubes for it and they are probably somewhere in between china and norway right now. I might also get an IR filter, cause those are totally cool, right Shorty?

In the mean time, here's one of the very first pictures I took with my NX20. Enjoy .

Sadly, that was before I had started using RAW on my camera, so I can't really change the white balance and such on that image. It is drenched in blue-ish flash light, as it was taken in the middle of the night and at really close range. That black thing at the bottom is the shadow of my lens.

Here's my first ever attempt to make a HDR, all made from a single RAW shot. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...irst%20hdr.jpg. There is a bit of noise in it. I blame this on having to use a somewhat short shutter speed (and therefore higher iso) because I had to take it quickly because it was raining and I didn't want to get the camera too wet. If I had had my tripod with me and the weather had been better, I probably would have had a bit better source material as well, like three individual pictures shots instead of extracting three exposures out of one raw. It is my hometown, btw, for those who were wondering.
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    on France trip soon.
    Ooo, tell me more
    In time. I will post and take as many pictures as I can.
    When and where are you visiting us? It would be cool to stalk meet another EoFFer
    Cannes and possibly Paris if time permits.

I love photography! I have a Nikon P90, Nikon D80, and of course my phone. I've used SLR, DSLR, and point and shoot and I like them all the same. The only difference I've found in them is the quality of the photos taken. I would each camera for something different things, so it really depended on the type of photo I wanted to take and the environment in which I was taking them.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

on France trip soon.
    Ooo, tell me more
    In time. I will post and take as many pictures as I can.
    When and where are you visiting us? It would be cool to stalk meet another EoFFer
    Cannes and possibly Paris if time permits.
    Let me know if you do get to Paris, we can have a drink in the best geek bar

And then there is Death

I do the promotional photo shoots for my my photo lab at work. On a whim one day I wanted a nice camera, a few years ago, and did a lot of research, weighed a lot of options, and got a Canon Rebel 300D used, in great condition, from a photographer who'd just upgraded. It was one of Canon's first DSLRs, and on the lower end of the spectrum. The alternative was a more professional camera called a 10D. At the time they were $900 and $2400 I believe. But later I found a firmware hack that gave the 300D the capabilities of the 10D. So I ended up getting it all-in-one. For about $200

I never got beyond the basic lens, and only barely dabbled into the real functions. Though the quality difference between this and a point-and-shoot or cell phone picture was obvious. Even on the default auto settings, things just have a bit more professional flare to them. It was a worthy purchase, and I have replacement batteries, a carry bag, and a tri-pod. So I'm all set for photographic adventures. Even got a couple of books. But I still barely do more than dabble. I'd love to get farther into it. Though of taking a course in photography they offer around here

For the last photo shoot, I even bought a professional muslin backdrop. I guess I'm probably out of the consumer range, and more into the prosumer. But I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable prosumer amateurs out there lol

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'll just post a few pictures in here instead of making a separate thread for my pictures, considering I am just starting out and don't really have a lot to show yet. When I say a few i mean like one, btw.

Took this a bit ago, if the Nidaros cathedral in the city I live in. I've done a few things in lightroom, but nothing extreme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...sunset%201.jpg
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

It's weird, photography is something I've always loved and always been into but I have never really taken a single proper photo (something with an actual camera not a phone or cheapy digital thing) but I'm thinking when my funds is good again, I'm gonna spend a fair bit on a decent camera and see if I can take any interesting stuff.