Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooks In Your Family

Blog Entries

Default Cooks In Your Family

Who are the best cooks in your family?

No naming yourself.

For me, it would obvy be my mom, but her sister was awesome as well.

I went and stayed with my aunt for a week one Summer and back then she & my uncle were part of a very large community garden that grew tons of veggies- tomatoes, potatoes, corn, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus, green beans, etc..

She & I went and picked a ton of stuff one afternoon, went home, and we made homemade pasta (I believe they were actually egg noodles) and a really yummy veggie marinara and then she made a gorgeous black forest cake for dessert from scratch.

For some reason, that's the only thing I can remember. I only got to visit her and my cousins during the Summer, but those trips stopped happening after my mom got her CDL and started driving truck with my dad.

My dad's stepped up his culinary game hard though since my mom passed away. Sure, his steaks & spaghetti were always supremo, but when I went to visit him this last time, he made pork chops and a few other things for me for dinner- he was so proud of himself (& I was too!).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know everyone in my family but it has a long line of really good cooks. My great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother have all won awards for their cooking and they have this massive family cookbook as well. I've won a few things for my cooking but nothing to the same degree. My aunt seemed to have missed out on those genes as she wouldn't touch an oven until she was almost 30. She was afraid of cooking. I was taught to cook when I was 4.

As far as who is the best, it depends what is being cooked and both my mom and grandmother will tell you the same thing. I've never tasted my great-grandmother's cooking so I can't judge that.

My grandmother cannot properly make bread, but my mom makes excellent bread. My grandmother is better at cooking chicken and most pork. Ham they are about equal. She is also better at pies and tarts and other desserts involving crusts. My mom is better at most beef dishes and desserts like cakes and cookies. Pasta and rice they are about the same.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My dad is an amazing chef. But he only cooks on special occasions because he feels like it's my mom's responsibility. She's pretty good too but this lead to a lot of tension and me making myself ramen for dinner most days when I was growing up.

Now I have their amazing recipes and make ramen for myself because I am lazy.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My sister is a good dessert-maker, my dad is a good everything-maker, and I am not so bad myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    My dad is an amazing chef. But he only cooks on special occasions because he feels like it's my mom's responsibility. .
    You just described my dad in a nutshell. lmao

My stepfather was pretty respectable in the kitchen, but I'd say my grandmother is the best in the family. It, uh, unfortunately gets steeply worse as you go down the generations from there, though. <.< ;

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Luckily both of my parents, my grandmother, and great grandmother are/were all great cooks in terms of meals. In term of desserts, my mom wins hands down. Her banana pudding omfg. My dad tried to make it the same way she does and I like "no, you no know".

Blog Entries

For delicious unhealthy occasions dad, for consistent and constant meals mum.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I know hardly anyone besides my immediate family so lets see...

- My mum obviously cooks the main meals most of the time unless she's at work. She's decent, but isn't one to 'push the boat' out, so to speak. I do enjoy her cooking though. Her roasts are pretty good.

- My oldest brother can cook pretty damn well, when required. I don't think he cooks that often though. Leaves it to his girlfriend, generally.

- My second oldest brother can cook decently enough as well. He won't starve, put it that way.

- My third oldest brother... well, he can barely cook packet noodles and he's twenty-three.

And that's your lot. For consistency, I'd say my mum. For quality when required, my oldest brother.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

My mom, my sister, and I either currently work in kitchens or have in the past. Basically everyone in my family can cook pretty well, though my mom (according to my dad) and my sister were rather late in learning how to cook, they are both solid cooks. My mom is the queen of desserts and trying new desserts. My dad can cook well too but rarely does so. Both my grandmas are awesome cooks too.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

My grandmothers could both cook very well. I had one from the rural south, and one was a war bride from Germany, so it was a good variety.

My uncle on my mom's side is really good in the kitchen. He's also an avid hunter, so he's learned to cook a variety of wild game on top of the usual meats. He's good at pastas, vegetable casserole sides, and pickling things as well.

My mom is a very good cook. I guess this is a shared opinion, everyone thinks their parent who was responsible for cooking is a good cook, because that's what they grew up with. She makes good roasts, lasagna, country fried steak, vegetable dishes of several varieties, and a good gravy. This is good, because I think my dad can burn water.

Shion is also a very good cook and baker. She makes really tasty things ranging from wraps and chicken dishes, to much more involved pasta dishes, like homemade ravioli and lasagna. She also has some really tasty steak dishes she pulls out. As for baking, my favorites are her snicker-doodles, carrot cake, and cookies.

Everyone in our family cooks well and has his own secrets. If this relates to the meat cooking, I ask father. If this relates to the bakery - my mother is beyond comparison!
    Last edited by Jarmaki; 06-23-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    ChoppingBlocks.com kitchen islands and chopping blocks.

dish out the dough mum

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everyone in my family is a very good cook, but I've often found our performance suffers due to a lack of good utensils. Does anybody happen to know anywhere - preferably online - that a budding chef could purchase some nice knives and chopping blocks?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Nom nom nom

On my mother's side they're all pretty good cooks. My grandmother is the best, followed by my mom. My grandmother did everything, baked bread, made pizzas, home made raviolis, etc.. My mother learned everything from her, but doesn't make half the stuff my grandmother did.

My cousin's wife baked professionally, so she makes great desserts. If I had pics of them, I'd post them in Shorty's sugar-free thread. :kauberry: