Thread: Travel Boredom

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Video games, books, trivia games, sleeping.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I envy all of you people who can sleep on a plane because it's actually impossible for me to do for some reason.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Planes naturally make me sleepy now, which is great. Long flights can be a bit of a pain 'cause I'll sleep for a little while like five or six times before we actually get there, but on Australian Domestic flights of a couple hours I can usually get by with one or two naps and some video games or reading.

I feel bad for you, Pike. Being stuck in your seat for so long and being unable to sleep is killer.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Depends. If I'm with people, like friends or family, I absolutely refuse to wear earphones and listen to music/play video games. I just feel that I'd be rude ignoring my travelling companions. For the most part, I just chat and talk with my companions. Time passes quite well doing that. If there's nothing really to talk about, then perhaps I'd consider browsing the internet.

By myself however, things get more diverse. Music is a good option as I'm internet binging on websites like Cracked and news sites. I'd also play video games sometimes depending on my mood, or read a book. Heck, I've been known to read my Bible during particularly tedious journeys. Never for very long though.

Lately however, I've made quite the habit of talking with people who sit next to me. I was on the train just over last week to get to my boyfriend's place and over the course of the journey I managed to have conversations with two elderly ladies and a Canadian from the Northern Territories who taught English Literature. Fun times, seriously. I'm normally quite shy, but for some reason I really broke out of my shell and just chatted to my seat neighbours.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

My flights used to be between Auckland and LAX/SFO, so I would pass the time drinking limitless free booze, playing tetris and watching movies. Now I only fly from one state to another, so I pass the time panicking about a plane crash instead.

I've never been able to sleep on planes. I had an eight hour flight to Rome a few years ago and didn't sleep the entire, and that's not counting layover time, but thankfully Air Canada has personal in-flight entertainment screens. Same goes for trains. I was on a 21-hour train ride with my grade 12 English class and a group of us just stayed up talking the entire time.

Cars, however, are a different situation altogether. My brother-in-law drove nine hours or so to Montreal for a Dream Theater show and I slept the entire way back.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do not sleep, read or play games on flights. I might bring a book but I invariably just get struck by the fact that I'm flying and just gaze rapturously out the window.

In cars I am typically the driver, so I drive. I like to drive.

I don't take trains anymore. I had a horrible experience and I just don't ever want to get stuck on one again.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never been on a plane or a train before. When it comes to long car rides I'd usually pack up the Game Boy and play on that if I'm not just enjoying the countryside.