Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men, shaving your face!

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Men, shaving your face!

Ok so today, I decided to spoil myself as I had an interview and needed a haircut I asked my barber for a full beard trim, tidy and shave. Now personally I love this little extravagance, the shave you get from a straight razor is far superior, it's glorious. Personally when I was younger I did learn how to shave with a straight razor (though I'd need some practice these days before I could consider myself proficient at it) and have got my eye on buying a full straight razor set.

So my discussion with you men is this:

Have you ever had a barber's shave?

Did you like it?

Would you buy a straight razor set and learn to do it yourself?

What's your current shaving tools?

Ladies, I know this is a little gender specific but frankly, the area's you shave you wouldn't ask someone to shave it for you in a public place.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No.
    N/A
    No.
    Electric razor.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I dont shave my face..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Ladies, I know this is a little gender specific but frankly, the area's you shave you wouldn't ask someone to shave it for you in a public place.
    People pay to get brazilian waxes, why wouldn't someone also pay to have their legs shaved instead? All of this gendered hair nonsense strikes me as very strange. Also, it's a pity that you have to shave for a job interview and that so many employers find facial hair unacceptable.

Blog Entries

I still have my beard, just it needed trimming and I decided to be lazy/indulgent and ask for the guy to do the shave too. The interview was for a promotion at my current company.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Down with shaving, up with beards!

I use a double edge razor, some fancy soaps, and a cheapish badger hair brush. I'd like to upgrade the brush and I would definitely consider getting a straight razor, but the time buffing it every day would make an already long task longer. I love my DE, it's a Merkur and while it was somewhat expensive the money I save buying Feather razor blades instead of GILETTE ULTRA POWER 15-BLADE MAN EXTRA WITH ALOE STRIP is ridiculous. lmao at your life if you're still paying £15 or w/e it is for terrible razor blades.

Having said all that, lately I'm prone to growing out my beard, so I'm only shaving once a month or so.

Blog Entries

lmao, for the record, my current razor is a Wilkinson Sword double edged single blade "vintage style" razor. I like it but I feel it lacks the precision for beard shaping that straight would give me.

Yea, being straight, I don't shape my beard. But you're right, a straight would give you far better control than a DE.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard that having a barber shave is one of the most relaxing things ever for men and that every man should have one once.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I've heard that having a barber shave is one of the most relaxing things ever for men and that every man should have one once.
    This is somewhat true. The first time is actually disconcerting as hell. Here's you, trusting some random man with a razor that close to your throat where if he coughed accidentally at the wrong moment the blade could kill you. It's the subsequent times, (particularly if you have a regular barber) when you've relaxed to the idea of this guy taking a sharp implement to your throat what makes this an amazing experience.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We may not get public shaves but we do public threading or waxing. I'm not ashamed to say that I get my stache waxed. It seems to weird for me to bleach it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would never bleach facial hair. That's weird. Just remove it! (Thanks, Nair.)

Articles

No
    N/A
    No
    Standard Manual Razor.

I don't actually need to shave often. Once a week is usually the average. I don't have that often because of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

All the time. I actually prefer to get shaved at a barber than doing it myself. I have an electric shaver at home, but it can't shave worth trout. When I do shave I need to use a manual shaver to get anywhere, but I tend to just let it grow until the next visit at the barber shop.