Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sedorra: Maps & Locations

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Braaaaaains Sedorra: Maps & Locations

A massive thanks to Freya for creating this piece of art!

SEDORRA: The name of the continent and the world as it is currently known. There may be distant lands, but we're not going to deal with them at this point.

Confirmed Locations

AKIMOLM DESERT: Home to the Akim race (Akimolm literally means Akim home). Hot weather all day, cool at nights (but never chilly). Occasionally gets a warm rain. Various Akim tribes and a small population of humans live in Akimolm at the various water sources (or often roaming between them nomadically).
    INSPIRATION: Lawrence of Arabia

LUCRECIA: A spawn point (ie, where you can appear as an Outworlder at the start of the story). The largest human city on the continent, the Queen of Lucrecia lives in the palace here. Bustling market city. Lucrecia has fair weather all year round, able to experience cold and warm, wet and dry but never to any extremes. Look further down this post for an in depth look (and map!) at Lucrecia.
    INSPIRATION: York/Camelot, but bigger and with a nice palace.

FARMLANDS: A spawn point for the storyline (ie, where you can appear as an Outworlder at the start of the story). Nothing here but farmland, all the way from Lucrecia to Naith and east to the edge of the Wylds.
    INSPIRATION: ...Farmlands.

NAITH: A small fishing village. A spawn point for the storyline (ie, where you can appear as an Outworlder at the start of the story). Like Lucrecia, this area has fair weather for the most part with few extremes, although being on the coast it tends to be very windy and occasionally a very strong storm will pass through.
    INSPIRATION: Polperro (England), Oban (Scotland), Es Castell (Spain) and probably every other small fishing village that there ever was.

BETHERON WYLDS: The large, dark forest to the immediate south-east of Naith. It starts off like this and then gets denser and darker the further you go in, giving many the impression that it is closing in on them. This is a dangerous place and no humanoids settle here - there are a few Ursus but even then it has a low population compared to the rest of Sedorra purely due to the dangers within. The air is lukewarm to cool most of the year, occasionally with more extreme weather although the sun would rarely touch the ground, and the snow would rarely reach it as the foliage/canopy is so thick and the earth so naturally warm.
    INSPIRATION: Mirkwood, but even thicker with trees than that and probably a lot more dark green than anything.

LAKE ARNA: Another grand city state set about various islands in the middle of a great lake, sitting in the centre of the eastern side of the continent. This city has a much more notably mixed population of all kinds, and the weather can change dramatically one week to the next, sometimes even one day to the next (although it only ever changes at night). During the hotter extremes, the people bask in the glorious sun, while the colder extremes leave them quite able to walk from island to island across thick ice. The city is beautiful regardless of the weather, and is a must-see (and often must-stay) for bards, explorers and even engineers due to the dramatic and varying architecture.
    INSPIRATION: Stockholm mostly, but also (for architecture) pretty much every kind of castle or palace or chapel or anything you can ever think of.

THE DEEPS: Basically what people of Sedorra call the ocean.
    INSPIRATION: Just a really dangerous, often stormy ocean.

Lucrecia: In Depth

Attachment 54281

Here's a rough idea of what Lucrecia could look like. I've get it mostly vague as to exact locations of inns etc. for now, and although I skimmed over the thread, some things may contradict slightly with what is there, so please keep an eye out for anything that looks amiss and we'll see if we can add/remove/change things. Note that each red area is not neccessarily a single building, but rather a "block" which one can easily walk around.

Regarding the individual locations, here's how I see them...

The Palace - The residence of the Queen.

Barracks - Taller buildings than most, the barracks sleep most soldiers and provide them with areas for training. The three key barracks are as follows: The West Barracks, designed to take watch of the river to the North and to provide protection for the areas far from the militia training area. The Inner Barracks, a building that also serves as a massive watchtower with a wide view of the surrounding areas and the roads leading North and East. Finally, The Outer Barracks, a large company with easy access to the roads heading in all four directions. There are naturally guards placed in the Palace, at all three gates and, of course, roaming guards within the city, particularly near the markets.

Upper Residences - Large and relatively expensive residences generally occupied by the wealthy, the honoured or those at the employ of the monarch.

Lower Residences - Smaller, somewhat densely populated residences of respectable nature.

Old Town - Residences of various size and nature. This area makes up where the first residences of Lucrecia were, before the Palace was built. This side of the river tends to be highly populated but also slightly less organised in nature.

Calman's Steep - A series of buildings that reside on a steep area of the mountain, this area consists of a mixture of all kinds, notably medium sized residences, warehouses and the entrance to the mines.

Fellowgate - Due to the Fellowgate being often open and far more accessable to the regular traveler, this area has become rather populated both inside and out compared to that of Odengate.

Odengate - The royal entrance, open during most days but rarely open at night.

Claudegate - Did you know 'Claude' is Latin for 'shut'? Well, this gate is almost always shut due to the high volume of thieves that used to enter through this area from Rastigan and the slums.

Rastigan - This small village was set up by miners who wanted to carry out their mining without Lucrecia taking their profits while remaining in close proximity to the markets. Tavelers go here when they want to live in decent quality but don't want to be under the eye of the military on a constant basis (although naturally patrols still stop by). Rastigan appreciates Lucrecia and consider themselves a part of it but just like to take care of themselves because of their tough nature.

Beggar's Choice - Essentially a black market, the nature of the slums and Rastigan make this the perfect area for such things.

Slums - Where people go when they can't afford to live in the city or are thrown out of it. 'nuff said. Neither a safe nor a secure place to be.

Old Arms - Labour zone. Originally simply The Arms, this is the industrial area of the city where you can find a mixture of forges, bars and some residences. "Strong weapons, strong drinks and strong men", as the saying goes.

New Arms - Labour zone of the farming variety. Cattle and crops are herded in here before heading to the butcher and the baker.

River Markets - Markets that not only exist either side of the bridge, but also across the very bridge itself. A massive market for chocobo breeders, farmers and fishermen.

Stables - A huge stable near Odengate. Breeding for personal use, military use and of course areas where personally owned chocobos can be rested and fed.

King's Square - In many ways the heart of Lucrecia. A bustling market area where traders of all kinds come to sell their wares, entertainers perform and generally people come to meet and drink in the surrounding inns, bars and taverns.

Galahorn Square - Upmarket area, generally less popular than King's Square because of the distance from Fellowgate. Some entertainers prefer this area due to it being quieter and therefore there is a bit of an arts culture that can be appreciated here.

Sleeper's Corner - Many many inns!

Tear's Landing - A small and low-use port to the East of Lucrecia.

River Lissee - The river running through Lucrecia, plentiful in fish.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Excellent mapping. Excellent naming! Where you guys come up with the name Sedorra?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I named the places with a little help from EoFF names.

Lake Arna = Lekana (Freya's previous name), who put together the awesome maps.
    Sedorra = Cid, creator of EoFF, and SE, creator of FF, combined with a bit of "orra" thrown in.
    Naith = Nait, involved in Eizon's world creation.
    Akimolm = Acmlm, a long-gone admin of EoFF.
    Betheron Wylds = Behold The Void, involved in Eizon, combined with a darker sounding version of Wildwoods.
    Lucrecia = An obvious nod to FF, although I genuinely think it's just a wonderful name for a grand city-state, always have.
    The Deeps = I just like that it makes an ocean sound that much more dangerous and impassable, explaining why Sedorrans consider Sedorra to be the name of the world as well as the continent itself.
    Farmlands = I'm not telling you how I conjured up this sucker.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That is so cool. I usually just make them up from scratch. I can't even remember where I got the name Isafaro from.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Dang, that's a map.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I put a crystal in the compass rose cause, ya know, final fantasy

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Such a pretty map, Freya.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WHy can't I see the map. D:

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Not sure!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

These are gorgeous. What did you make them in, Freya?

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Maybe the Aiyon server was down for a while, it's hosted there at the moment.

Blog Entries

A scale would be pretty swish just so we know how big it is Kilometer wise
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Will there be more continents in the future?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    A scale would be pretty swish just so we know how big it is Kilometer wise
    I second this idea.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.