Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The OOC Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm actually trying to add line breaks to some posts right now, I hope nobody minds. Although there are some sentences so long that they could be an entire paragraph on their own...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    To focus on one person that was excited was no use here as there were enough surrounding them and of which he couldn't totally avoid to deceive that were enough to put down the scale to a depressing negativity so it was better to use his empathy skills by focussing on a mass of people at once with their mixed feelings and holding the balance as well this way.
    It may be worth going over that part and re-writing it a bit, because it confused the hell out of me. >_>;
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm definitely not a creative writer. I've hardly ever written anything in my life. So each time someone else speaks, I have to go onto a new paragraph? I'd have like ten paragraphs for a simple two way conversation!

I think I'll read some of other people's and try to emulate how they write.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It definitely makes it easier to go to a new line for a new speaker, yeah. You may end up with 10 "paragraphs" but more likely they will be short lines.

Here are some neat tips, but you certainly don't need to read through everything. I would say #10 is the most relevant point to what we're talking about here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It definitely makes it easier to go to a new line for a new speaker, yeah. You may end up with 10 "paragraphs" but more likely they will be short lines.

Here are some neat tips, but you certainly don't need to read through everything.
    Fair enough. It might look abit odd though, having ten short snippety lines. I suppose I should though. Thanks for the tips Mae and BoB.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No worries. One thing we may need to agree on is how to write out thoughts. There are multiple ways to do this and none are known to me as "the right way" or "the wrong way"... some involve speech marks, some involve italics, some involve both. I think italics is the best option, but I'm not sure if speech marks would be needed...

Articles
    Blog Entries

No worries. One thing we may need to agree on is how to write out thoughts. There are multiple ways to do this and none are known to me as "the right way" or "the wrong way"... some involve speech marks, some involve italics, some involve both. I think italics is the best option, but I'm not sure if speech marks would be needed...
    I'm unsure with thoughts as well. So far, I've let my third person narration do the work. I suppose italics? That's a good point actually. I might include more thoughts in the future.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah sorry, I debated changing lines for every sentence when I was doing Kathvi and Jahred (because that's normally how I write) but I didn't know how it worked for this type of thing . Hopefully it wasn't too hard to read.

But now I know!

I've always written direct thoughts in italics without speech marks. Italics also serve the function of emphasizing certain words in descriptive sentences or dialogue in general.

And yeah, separating each person's dialogue by a paragraph makes it easier to read. Sometimes, if one character has a longer monologue, I tend to separate that monologue into multiple paragraphs too for readability's sake, but this is simply a personal preference.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because my character Jhera can only communicate via telepathy, I use italics to annotate that telepathic communication. I usually try to write something like 'he thought to himself' so you know when he is thinking and not telepathing.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I use italics with no quotation marks as a general rule for thoughts. Imo consistency is less important than clarity in that area - if the styling is a little different but I still know that the character is thinking, then that's fine by me. But if it's decided there needs to be a general rule, I'll try to adhere to it.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

There are about six different ways to represent thoughts that are standard. Italics and no punctuation is probably the most common and it seems like everybody here does that already, so that would be the best way. Keep in mind that it might still be worth including attribution; because this is written in third person, and not first person, you want to attribute nearly everything so nobody confuses who is talking or thinking.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I'm actually trying to add line breaks to some posts right now, I hope nobody minds. Although there are some sentences so long that they could be an entire paragraph on their own...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    To focus on one person that was excited was no use here as there were enough surrounding them and of which he couldn't totally avoid to deceive that were enough to put down the scale to a depressing negativity so it was better to use his empathy skills by focussing on a mass of people at once with their mixed feelings and holding the balance as well this way.
    It may be worth going over that part and re-writing it a bit, because it confused the hell out of me. >_>;
    If you were a super-computer you could read it. However the sentence was confusing anyway because I accidentally wrote "deceive" instead of perceive.

I changed the part.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll have Dez in Lucrecia soon, I just needed a bit more character development before he's ready to interact with any player characters.

He's going to hate the smurf out of one of you, by the way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    I'll have Dez in Lucrecia soon, I just needed a bit more character development before he's ready to interact with any player characters.

He's going to hate the smurf out of one of you, by the way.
    I hope it isn't Locke

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

@Locky: Since your character is coming from Earth, and you haven't written your transition in, I just thought I'd throw this out there:

The odour of toothpaste makes bears horny. We have bear people on Sedorra. The jokes write themselves.