Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The OOC Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Aww, but I like getting surprised when things happen. It feels more real, like I'm actually playing a part in a book. If I know what people are going to be doing then it kind of removes a lot of the potential for drama!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

It doesn't have to be detailed at all. The surprises come from the interactions and natural evolutions. But if a particular adventure is taking place, or if you plan on taking your character to a different town or whatever, it gives people the opportunity to get involved with that. Or, if somebody sees something taking place in the Official RP thread, it gives them a place to ask if they're welcome to just rock up and join. Like I said, it's basically just an informal chat where ideas are bounced around and people join up that way.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Perhaps an alternative option would be for everything to be fair game unless stated otherwise. So if you don't want people to rock up and join in, then you state so in the OOC thread. Otherwise, people can assume you're happy to just let things happen and react in kind.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

This works.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Emet Squelch (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think it should have to be stated otherwise. You don't know for sure if that person is going to read the OOC thread or will not post before you say "HEY LEAVE US ALONE". It should be common courtesy to either post in this thread or VM/PM someone saying, "Hey, I was planning on doing this. That cool?" It won't take away the "surprises". You still don't know what's going to happen when your characters start interacting.

It would've been really nice to just have you ask before you sort of hijacked what Alayna and I were doing. It wasn't that either of us had anything against you guys coming to interact with our characters, just that we would've liked more than one post each to introduce ourselves and get to know each other. We think that our characters have similar interests and personalities and that they'll be good friends, so we wanted to set the groundwork for that.

It's really not that hard--nor does it take away from the story or the unpredictability of the story--to just say, "Hey everyone/so-and-so, I was planning on doing this or heading in this direction. Is that okay?"

And every RP I've ever been involved with does that sort of thing.

EDIT: I guess I'm okay with the unless stated otherwise rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinx View Post
    Buffalo wings are the greatest smurfing new thing I've ever heard. Pee in their business, which is at work so incredibly hard, and you spelled narcissistic wrong.

Black Power Ranger is the most beautiful goddamn woman on Earth. So I've got goddamn shrapnel in my corner.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Cool, works for me too. It allows for surprise meetings without forcing them. Of course, I'll let the rest of the GMs have the final say on this one, they could prefer another option and I'm flexible.

EDIT: Jinx, it's probably worth noting that I had no idea that you and Alayna were doing anything at the time I made my post about spotting yourselves. I had looked at it and assumed you were just waiting to talk to someone, and under my experience of RP's that was fair game. It wasn't intended as rude or anything like it! It was merely a case of someone "growing up" with different RP rules, which is normal really - I mean, some RP's I've seen force you to play with dice and have set magic spells and whatnot, let alone rules about introductions! When you ended a post mentioning that your character saw our characters watching you, I saw that as an invitation to move in, as you didn't put anything like "I think someone's watching us, let's move."

It's early days, though - we're inevitably going to come into things like this where people from different RP backgrounds are going to see different things as strange and even rude, but always remember to assume it's an innocent thing and that no harm is meant. Over time we'll all learn how to move with this RP and it'll be great! Also, there is no reason that our characters are now tied together, we could merely cross paths and move on. You two can still have your journey separate to ours if you wish. I have many an idea of how at this point we could be split apart! I shall be sure to utilise one of those ideas shortly.

Check this thread at tGA for the general style that inspired this RP. 8th post onwards has a similar discussion!

Life got dark! Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

My experience in RP relied mainly on reactions and improvisation. There was some pre-planning, but those would just involve location/physical direction, with one of us going, "okay, my character will be here at this area where you are. That cool?" And we'd normally give consent. If there is some heavy event that could possibly happen, we would explain and ask consent for that too, only if that event is necessary (for example, if we needed it to progress the RP). Otherwise, there isn't much detail to it.

Anyway... I agree that all interaction should be fair game unless otherwise stated.

Unrelated P.S. - Madonna, apologies for not posting as Camille yet. I will do this before the weekend is over.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

That basically sums up my experience PaperStar.

Thanks for the mognet earlier BoB about whether Cohen wanted to say anything before Jahred and Kathvi moved on. That's basically the sorts of discussions I've always had - no surprises ruined there!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Agree with everything written above. Having said that, my characters story is fairly fluid at the moment, so don't ever feel the need to step on my toes with Locke, just do it

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Emet Squelch (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

BoB, your character's name is Jahred, not Akim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinx View Post
    Buffalo wings are the greatest smurfing new thing I've ever heard. Pee in their business, which is at work so incredibly hard, and you spelled narcissistic wrong.

Black Power Ranger is the most beautiful goddamn woman on Earth. So I've got goddamn shrapnel in my corner.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Aaaaahahahahahahaha. *falls off chair*

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

You missed one.

Akim grinned to himself, the Doban always had a talent for the extroadinary.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

xD Thanks. Oh man. This is what I get for spending so much time creating the race as opposed to creating the character. I wasn't even intending on using him for more than one post!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Yes, I gathered from the slip up that your mind might've been a little more focused on the race than the character himself. It's nice when characters have a mind of their own and serve more of a purpose than was initially intended.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

I'm still yet to establish any real depth to the poor fella. But it's early days. I feel the opposite about Damon - I intend on him being a longer term character, I have a lot of ideas for him, but so far the right time to introduce him hasn't come about. I already know BoB the jaguar all too well, so he won't be nearly as tricky to write in but again, I need the right time.

Damon will be entering sooner rather than later, though...