Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I'm not hero. Never was. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wetwork"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains "I'm not hero. Never was. I'm just an old killer hired to do some wetwork"

Had to paraphrase that quote but oh well. Well anyway, according to the official Metal Gear Solid timeline, we are currently in the year when MGS4: Guns of the Patriots takes place and should be dealing with the SOP system, large PMC companies, and worrying about FOXDIE going out of control.

So this thread is basically an official Metal Gear Solid thread, talk about your favorite games, what you hope to see in MGSV: Phantom Pain and who your favorite and least favorite characters are.

It should be "I'm not a hero". Kind of important, because otherwise, I read it as "I'm not here", and it took me a second to understand what it actually said.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually it should be I'm no hero, guess my fat fingers hit the T by mistake. Anyway stay on topic.

All the bad guys in MGS love to rant on and on but none beat The Patriots for ranting stuff that is both eerie and yet also eerily accurate.

I can listen to this codec call all day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think I've played a Metal Gear game I didn't love. I played Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid Snake, MGS 1 - 3, V.R Missions and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and enjoyed all of them. Still haven't played MGS 4 yet, but I plan to. My favorite among them is the original Metal Gear Solid for the PlayStation.

My favorite characters are Snake, The Colonel, Liquid, Revolver Ocelot, Big Boss, Gray Fox, Meryl and Sniper Wolf in no particular order. Didn't care about the villains in MGS 2 all that much, but I like Raiden okay and can't stand how they made him a Gray Fox clone to appeal to the West more

Played through MGS1 again not long ago and there's so much love put in this game. It amazes me every time I play it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Hideo Kojima is utterly insane but him and the people that have worked with him have created such excellent games with such poignant reflections on society. Okay, so we're not fighting proxy wars in the same way as MGS4 predicted but wars of greed have definitely happened.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He does have a knack for understanding the times. Though I feel MGS2 is probably more poignant now than it was back in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Hideo Kojima is utterly insane but him and the people that have worked with him have created such excellent games with such poignant reflections on society. Okay, so we're not fighting proxy wars in the same way as MGS4 predicted but wars of greed have definitely happened.
    Agreed. Every MGS conspiracy relates to the real world and is likely true in one form or another. Cloning and genetic modification abuse in 1, information and media/internet control in 2, the war economy in 4. These things happened and/or are happening in the real world.

Also patriots = federal reserve.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The boss battles and the storyline twists have always been my favorite part of the MGS franchise. Some of my favorite battles have been: Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, Vamp, The End, The Boss, Raging Raven, and Metal Gear REX vs. Metal Gear RAY.

I actually don't care that much about sneaking and stealth. I just usually tranq everything.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I enjoy the second Vulcan Raven boss fight and putting down claymore mines and just watching him kill himself. It's hilarious.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

SNAKES DON'T BELONG IN ALASKA

Anybody here ever read any Michael Crichton? (Jurassic Park, Sphere, Congo, Andromeda Strain, etc.) I love his work and it feels to me like in many ways he andKojima have a very similar writing style. Namely they both find a topic that interests them and they write a plot around that concept. Kojima is a bit worse about this than Crichton was but the mention of Raven reminded me of this because you can always tell Kojima does A LOT of research and by God you're going to know how much research he did. The stuff about Mongolians and Japanese, the ear pull, none of that stuff had anything to do with anything. A lot of characters say stuff that is more or less insignificant but is a handy piece of trivia that you get the feeling Kojima found out along the way.

Both Crichton and Kojima are fans of the character filibuster too.

I think one of my favorite pieces of random, pointless trivia was:
    Raiden: What are those sticks in your head?

Emma: These? They're lacquered chopsticks. They hold your hair in place. Did you know they're pretty popular in Europe and South America?

WHAT ARE THOSE STICKS IN YOUR HEAD

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ I bet Kojima would be awesome to bring to quizzo!

I like all the Metal Gear games and can't wait for Phantom Pain. I hope it's coming sooner rather than later like Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. Although the last few MGS games have made it a point to come out in June so I could realistically see them trying to hit that next year.

I hope they don't skimp out on multiplayer given how fun co-op in Peace Walker was and how memorable MGO in MGS4 was.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still hoping we'll get to see Grey Fox in the Phantom Pain. It has been odd that he's only appeared in the black sheep entry of the Big Boss story arc despite MG-MGS giving the impression that these two were attached by the hip.

Yeah, Kojima is really bad about inserting useless trivia into his writing, I was just going through the Metal Gear Database the other day and realized a good chunk of it could probably be removed considering how inconsequential it was to the various stories.

So how would people rank the entries against each other? Which is your fave and which could you live without?