Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dragon's Revival: CK2 GoT House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion (It's Over)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

smurfing Dick Crabb what a name I missed that the first time xD

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chapter 7: Cut Down In His Prime

7.1.jpg

Through some mechanisms I will not even hazard a guess at, it appears that Lady Alysanne is winning her war against Lord Tyrion.

7.2.jpg

Lord Morgan sends me a discreet message informing me that our plot to kill his uncle is proceeding apace, and will soon reach fruition. Even if Humfrey deserves it I feel some discomfort at our methods. Still, I suppose sometimes the legitimate avenues fail. If they were perfect, my father would be King and I would be Prince.

7.3.jpg

Sad news in my own court as Ser Florian, who has served as Master of Coin for many years, passes away from natural causes. I look through my other candidates for the role and appoint Garin, from Plankytown down in Dorne.

Shockingly, Tyrion has been so thoroughly beaten by his foes that he has requested the aid of Lord Edmure Tully, of the Riverlands. Edmure has obliged, but we will have to see if this turns the tide.

7.4.jpg

My wife gives me the news that she is again with child! We are truly fortunate. The work to rebuild the House continues apace.

7.5.jpg

Another daughter! I would, I confess, have preferred a son, but there is time yet. Dany suggests the name Rhaenys after my sister, but I decide on Aegon’s other sister-wife instead, and we name her Visenya.

7.6.jpg
    7.7.jpg

A few weeks after her birth, with things quiet as they usually are, I hear a commotion from the courtyard. Apparently, my Maester relates, there is a man in the courtyard who proposes to sell me a map that could guide me to treasures of Old Valyria! I order him brought to me. He asks for a drink before he begins, and I am happy to oblige. Even if he is a fraud or beggar, a stein of mead will hardly bankrupt the realm.

7.8.jpg

We discuss things for a short time. He indicates on a map where he believes a Valyrian steel sword can be found. I recognize that this is not the best lead in the world but then there are very few leads to follow if one seeks such a sword. The Swords of my ancestors have long been lost, reforged, given away. House Targaryen needs Valyrian steel to triumph so I must take the risks of this journey.

My first task is to decide who to take on this journey with me. I am tempted to take the old man himself, but it seems he would not be terribly useful on the journey. There are dangers in the shapes of men, but I can fight well enough myself. No, I believe the biggest danger I face is the seas and tides. I shall take a man who understands the nautical sciences.

7.9.jpg
    7.10.jpg

The next task is to pick our transport. There is no cheap option, and only one which is remotely affordable. Much as I would love to have a grand custom ship built for the occasion I seek rather humbler passage on a transport. Soon we set off. In my stead, Daenerys will serve as Regent. Her judgment is sound and her style of rule quite similar to my own, so I trust her to discharge this duty as well on this journey as she has when I attended tourneys and feasts.

7.11.jpg

The journey is, frankly, tedious. I embrace this tedium and go over the accounts of my demesne for the past year, something which hopefully will make me stronger in the field of finance. But a few days later I regret my decision not to study naval signs.

7.12.jpg

Pirates are sighted nearby, and they are clearly aiming for us. I am Aegon Targaryen, Blood of Old Valyria! I will neither flee nor surrender. And we cannot beat their ship in this old transport. Our only option is close combat, so I give the order.

7.13.jpg
    7.14.jpg
    7.15.jpg

I fight a pirate who, from the sounds of things, has some repute upon the waves. I feel no fear as we cross swords, but he slips past my defenses and drives his blade through my chest, seemingly without effort.

7.16.jpg

I am lying on the deck coughing up blood. My vision fades. This cannot be how a dragon dies, slain by some nameless pirate! My final thoughts are of my father and my daughters. It falls to Rhaella and Visenya now… only they can save our house.

------

Well, this hasn't gone entirely according to plan.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

>The Lusty Tyroshian Maid

oh my god

Also how does it feel having died to "Spack Jarrow"?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved that little reference too. Glorious.

Please be aware, Mister A, that I consider every second of your life not dedicated to playing this or reporting upon its progress a waste.

Don't waste your life.

Play CK2.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

NO. DAMMIT AEGON. YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LEAD THE HOUSE BACK INTO GLORY.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chapter 8: The Next Generation

In the midst of my second winter, I have finally come of age. I gaze out over my tiny realm and allow myself a smile. After twelve years of waiting I have come to rule in my own right. My father died when I was but four years old, my sister a newborn, and my thieving sow of a mother assumed the reigns of House Targaryen. I detected her pilfering from the treasury at a young age and commanded her to cease. She has obliged, but I will not forget this transgression.

7.2.jpg
    8.2.jpg

I am Rhaella Targaryen. I have endured tedium, interminable tournaments, a corrupt mother, a dead father, an absent grandfather. I will be Queen. (By the Seven LOOK AT DOSE STATS. I think the game wants me to do something with Rhaella, she got basically ever positive childhood event possible and has ended up like this.

I was asked by Lord Morgan II of Massey’s Hook to become his Master of Arms. I was fourteen at the time. I accepted. It would be a greater honor were he not a barely-competent glutton, but I do my duties and I do them well.

8.1.jpg

When I was almost 15, I received news that my grandfather Rhaegar Targaryen, exiled decades ago to the Wall, has passed away from natural causes. He never saw our house restored to its rightful place. I count it among the many injustices our house has endured, heaped one atop another like so many corpses.

8.3.jpg

However talented and gifted I am, there are only two possible ways to climb back onto the Iron Throne. The first is by intrigue, the other by brute force. Now that I can act without my mother’s oversight I can set both in motion. One of my first acts is to pen a letter to Varys, onetime locus of tremendous power in King’s Landing. Under Stannis Baratheon he has fallen into disfavor, but his talents remain as formidable as ever. He is wily but to my knowledge, broadly loyal to House Targaryen. I intend to appoint him my Spymaster.

8.4.jpg

Second, I arrange the marriage of one Sarya Templeton to my courtier Rolland of Sea Dragon Tower. Whilst the no doubt positive effects on his morale are a benefit, my real reason is that she is known throughout the Kingdom as one of the finest diplomatic minds despite her young age - almost my own equal, in fact. Her arrival also gives me justification to remove my mother from her position. Despite her thefts, she is still my mother - I assign her the largely ceremonial role of High Almoner to assuage her unhappiness. It seems to work.

8.5.jpg
    8.6.jpg

Whilst I am busy with certain affairs of state, my mother requests a moment of my time. She reveals that, with my father’s death and her long requirement to serve as regent now passed, she would appreciate remarrying. I tell her I will give it due consideration. In truth, she has some childbearing years remaining. I wonder who, if anyone, might wish the hand of a Targaryen widow.

8.7.jpg

After some investigation, I spy a potential opportunity. Soon the letters are sent, and she is married to Lord Raymund Tyrell. Matrilineally. The children will be of our house.

8.8.jpg

Raymund himself is not objectionable and has modest skills with a blade. I appoint him as Bodyguard to myself. As to my own marriage, I discover a gem of a young man in, of all places, the Westerlands. Kennett Lannister is only twelve years old and all reports suggest he is destined for greatness. The lowly station of his father means he accepts my offer of betrothal and, like my mother’s new marriage, this will be matrilineal. The Lannisters are lesser targets than the Baratheons, but if I could tear them asunder while one of their own warms my bed and guards my back, it would be a delight.

8.10.jpg
    8.11.jpg

Tournaments bore me endlessly, I attended so many in my youth, but they are a necessary part of courtly life. I call for one to be held in honor of my mother’s marriage. Speaking of marriages, my sister has now become eligible. I immediately have her wedded to Lord Goodwin Tarth, Lord of the Straits of Tarth. I do not know whether the alliance we have nominally forged is worth anything, but I had no hope of securing better. My sister has grown so much these past years that it pains me to part, she used to be cruel and capricious, now she is kind and generous.

8.12.jpg

I am invited to my sister’s wedding and, of course, I attend. (lol either Westeros just got SUPER progressive or there’s a bug here)

8.13.jpg

Upon returning, it is time to turn to much more pressing and serious matters. I have heard rumors about the legitimacy of Stannis Baratheon’s children. Though he was supposedly the father with Lyanna Stark, there are various rumors which suggest that the woman was less than faithful. I do know she long carried a torch for my grandfather and was most unhappy about being forced to marry Stannis, especially after Robert’s death made her think she was free of the Baratheon burden. Soon we will move.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I really don't blame her for hating Dany; look at that face.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Seeds are being sown for the Targaryen name to rise once more. Exciting stuff.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I really don't blame her for hating Dany; look at that face.
    I actually went into the save and messed with Rhaella's genetics because she looked just like her mom otherwise :gonk:

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Seeds are being sown for the Targaryen name to rise once more. Exciting stuff.
    It is an exciting time to be a Targaryen!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

After you've been fumbling around with no marks like Dick Crabbe, it's good to see names like Lannister and Tyrell in there.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Rhaella's got no time for smurfing around, she's going straight for the jugular.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I can't see the image that shows her stats but I assume she might hold the potential to gain quite a bit of ground for House Targaryen.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Apparently I had forgotten to include that picture in the first place D: I have edited the post and it's there now!

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chapter 9: Brown of Hair

9.3.jpg
    9.4.jpg

We bring the case before the King. I outline my arguments; that his children do not bear a resemblance to him. Steffon and Ronnet are brown of hair, whilst he is black of hair. His elder daughter, Artaria, resembles her mother perfectly - and has no features of her father except the color of her hair. Princess Senelle is too young for either to make much of a case about, but I have enough to press my case against her too.

9.6.jpg

When Steffon realizes my aim, he betrays his horror, but is powerless to stop. Stannis hears me out.

And then rejects my arguments completely. I admit that I expected as much. He loved his wife and is known for the depth of his sorrow at her departure, and accepting her infidelity could kill him. The Baratheon name also hinges on his children. If they were disinherited he would have to either find new issue or to leave it to another branch of the family. Neither would be palatable.

9.1.jpg

The truth of the matter is immaterial. I have forged letters which purport to demonstrate that Stannis knew himself not to be Steffon’s father. I send the news across the Realms with this fabricated evidence.

9.7.jpg
    9.8.jpg

Soon enough the rumors have spread across Westeros and many people, including lords and ladies, suspect that Stannis’ children are not true-born. In truth? I sincerely doubt a man as steadfast and stern as Stannis Baratheon would cheat on his wife. I also do not care. I will claw my way back to my throne through whatever means are necessary.

9.9.jpg

My mother sends word that she is again with child and, soon enough, she indeed gives birth. My half-brother, named Jacaerys, is another addition to the House of Targaryen. The midwife tells me that fresh from the womb he was already healthy and strong, which bodes well for us all.

9.10.jpg

Varys sends me word of a minor plot he has succeeded in bringing about. His ‘little birds’, as he calls him, informed him that Ser Robin Mormont has been caught with his hand in the lemon cake tin! In exchange for our disposal of the formal evidence, he agreed to admit to certain misdeeds and pay us a modest consideration. I do not know how Varys has maintained his intimidatingly vast network of spies and informants during his years out of favor, but however he did it, I appreciate the benefits it has brought.

9.11.jpg

Suddenly, my Maester bursts into my study without knocking in a barely-comprehensible storm. He hands me a letter a raven just arrived with, and as I read it my eyes widen and I forgive him the trespass. Far to the North, at the Wall, Queen Beyond The Wall Gerra the Conquerer has smashed the Night’s Watch to pieces! The Black Brothers have retreated to Mole’s Town, but everything else has fallen to the Wildlings. The fact that this was her second attempt, and that her first failed while my grandfather still lived, is not lost on me.

9.12.jpg

And then, just like that, Lady Sarya sends word from King’s Landing. Varys has passed away. He was sixty-six or so, a respectable age, but his talents might never be seen again in this realm. He had amassed a small fortune, and distributed most to his ‘little birds’, but sent a measure of it to myself as well. I am touched by his loyalty. And I must put aside my feelings and consider who my new Spymaster shall be.

Soon enough I come across a young man named Symond Crakehall, one of the best left in the world. He is far from Varys’ match, but who could that not be said of? I send an invitation and he accepts, bringing his pregnant wife as well. As the young man is but 16 years of age, I hope he will serve for a long time to come.

9.14.jpg

Kennett Lannister comes of age and our wedding takes place. He is actually a rather handsome man, and certainly a competent one. Whether he is loyal remains to be seen. I arrange a wedding feast, of course, and I suppose I shall have to do my duty. Lie back and think of the Crownlands, Rhaella. I also name him my Master at Arms, as his military knowledge is commendable.

9.15.jpg

To my surprise though, Kennett proves to be gentle and kind. He is, in fact, the very model of a Knight, husband, and indeed lover. I find myself smiling when I think of him and missing him when he is away.

9.16.jpg

Our regular time spent together in the bedroom has led to the inevitable. I am with child. It is a brutal business that leaves me heaving into a bucket and weak with fatigue, and the Maester says such intensity is rare but not a danger. I persist in my duties nonetheless, and am eager to bring forth another Targaryen.

A son! A son is born! He comes out of me hunched over, misshapen. They tell me he will have a pronounced hunchback, and I curse his luck and the gods. He is still my son though, a Targaryen, and he will overcome this difficulty. After some thought, I decide to name him Aelix. Too much baggage with the names of prior kings. My Seven-damned picture of the child has vanished, but yeah he's called Aelix and has a hunchback because nothing's ever easy.

My lord, Morgan II Massey, has passed away of some illness or another. He is succeeded by his daughter Ravella, the only one of his three children to survive childbirth.

Sarya Templeton’s elderly husband dies and, sadly, she decides to leave my court for her home. I cannot persuade her to remain. I must, therefore, appoint the next-best diplomat available to me; my mother. I suppose enough time has passed since her thefts for her to have learned her lesson.

9.16.jpg

I am again with child! Glorious indeed. I hope this one will avoid the unpleasant disadvantages which attend my eldest, but as long as they are a Targaryen who can act for the family, I care little.

9.17.jpg

My Kennett finishes third in a local tourney. I tell him I am proud, which I am, but that I know he can do even better, which he can.

9.18.jpg

Damnation! News comes from King’s Landing - Stannis has finally overcome his sadness at Lyanna Stark’s death and has taken a new wife. Leonette, apparently of common birth, no less! Many wonder if the king is going mad in his old age, but I doubt it. If he creates new issue there could be no doubt as to their legitimacy. What King would marry a commoner except for true and abiding love? She has several childbearing years left to her.

9.19.jpg

My second son is born. Aegor Targaryen, and he already seems the very model of handsomeness. For the time being the succession is safe, between my own sons and my half-brother, who is now a boy of six and already shows promise in martial matters. This waiting game is testing my patience, but I have little choice. The pieces will move when they will move, and not before. All I can do is be ready.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-23-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Two sons. The Targaryen Dynasty is assured. This marriage could be quite fruitful too. Kennet seems talented, and Rhaella is awesome as smurf, so I look forward to gains in the future.