Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dragon's Revival: CK2 GoT House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion (It's Over)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Dragon's Revival: CK2 GoT House Targaryen in Robert's Rebellion (It's Over)

Hello friends I am beginning a CK2 Let's Play, as House Targaryen, but rather than taking either Aegon the Conquerer or Khaleesi Dany, I'm going to play the Robert's Rebellion scenario. If you play as Rhaegar, this is somewhat doable, because he's got Aegon-tier stats. Aerys The Mad is... somewhat less gifted. So that's who I'm starting as!

Note that this will be a Narrative LP more than Gameplay, but anyone who wants mechanics explained only has to ask, and I shall make a great hash of explaining and lead you astray!

-------
    Chapter Links:

Chapter 1: A Thousand Foes Beset Me
    Chapter 2: Dwindling Flame
    Chapter 3: The Brief Wondrous Reign of Rhaegar Targaryen
    Chapter 4: No Place For A Boy
    Chapter 5: Ambitions and Marriages and Tourneys, Oh My!
    Chapter 6: The Heir to House Targaryen
    Chapter 7: Cut Down In His Prime
    Chapter 8: The Next Generation
    Chapter 9: Brown of Hair
    Chapter 10: Six Weeks
    Chapter 11: Outmaneuvered
    Chapter 12: Shattered Kingdom

Interlude: The Great Houses of Westeros

Chapter 13: Lord Boremund's War
    Chapter 14: The Dragon Ascendant
    Chapter 15: Targaryens, Rulers of the Vale
    Chapter 16: Matters of Some Consequence
    Chapter 17: Retaking The Reach
    Chapter 18: Catching Our Breath
    Chapter 19: Taming the Wild Men
    Chapter 20: Fighting a Land War in The North in Winter
    Chapter 21: Heartbreak
    Chapter 22: An Ending to Things
    Chapter 23: An Inauspicious Ascendancy
    Chapter 24: The Iron Islands
    Chapter 25: The Death of a King
    Chapter 26: The King in the West
    Chapter 27: Kingslayer

Epilogue

-------

~The Targaryens from Aerys II Onwards~
    262 - 284 ~ King Aerys II
    284 - 285 ~ Rhaegar
    285 - 297 ~ Regency of Septon Jarmen for Aegon
    285 - 307 ~ Aegon
    307 - 321 ~ Regency of Daenerys for Rhaella
    307 - 346 ~ Rhaella
    346 - 355 ~ Queen Rhaella I
    355 - 364 ~ King Aelix I
    364 - Not Long ~ King Baelor II

-------
    Chapter 1: A Thousand Foes Beset Me

FAITHLESS TREASON
    A THOUSAND FOES BESET ME

1.1.jpg

My son, my dear son, my Rhaegar. Among all those in the realm, he alone can I trust implicitly. The Starks charged into my keep, MY castle, MY CITY!! seeking to kill my son and I! Did they not know the honor the Targaryens bestowed upon Lyanna Stark by taking her to be a wife?

I am King Aerys Targaryen, the Second of His Name.
    (Traits: Flamboyant Schemer; Knight; Fire Obsessed; Tyrant; Wroth; Stubborn; Paranoid; Cruel; Insane)

1.3.jpg

I will not be denied! Now Robert Baratheon has risen against me, against the Iron Throne, against THE DRAGON! The traitor must be burned! He is joined by Eddard Stark, Hoster Tully, and Jon Arryn. Stormlands, The North, The Riverlands, and Mountain And Vale, all risen against me! This will not stand!

1.2.jpg

I send ravens to every lord still loyal.

I send my Hand and my Master of Coin to work, gathering the wealth of King’s Landing. The people must pay for the war. Then I make some rearrangements to the Small Council. I trust none of them, not a one, except my son Rhaegar who serves as Master at Arms and is commander of my forces in the field. And I name Thoros of Myr my Master of Laws. He speaks of fire in most… intriguing terms. Perhaps he might have insights worth hearing.

1.5.jpg

Then I see the Alchemists. They understand. I do not trust them, but they do understand. Fire is clean, and pure, and will burn away all the sins and treasons of this world. It will cost them much to make Wildfire, but I pay gladly.

1.6.jpg

Lord Jon Connington sends word that the Baratheon traitors have massed 16,000 soldiers and they march for King’s Landing. It is more than we have, but they are not led by Dragons. Or aided by the lands of the Reach.

1.7.jpg

There’s something that can’t wait any longer though. A de- This damned chair will not cease it’s torment of me! Another scratch. A decision must be made. A decision about one of my own Kingsguard. I hear whispers that Barristan Selmy will be more loyal to his house than his King. I do not believe it. These are tricks told by my enemies! Selmy rescued me once before, he will serve now. (This, hilariously, gives Aerys the trait “Just”) The people see the justice and wisdom of this and celebrate it! No, they know the slanders of Baratheon and Stark are only lies, and that their King is wise and just.

I hear news the Stormlander army has reached my personal demesne. IT WILL NOT STAND! My ancestor Aegon the Conquerer was the one who made this house, the one who gave them their name and realms and power! Now I must destroy them the same. I suppose it is fitting in its way.

1.8.jpg

Good and bad news arrives a few days later. Some of my men coming from Massey’s Hook run into the Baratheon force. My loyal men, my soldiers. I almost ride out then and there, but an Alchemist arrives just before I send for my horse. He reports that they have had success making Wildfire, and the stocks are now enough to turn the tide of a battle. It is glorious! For the first time in weeks I laugh, for I know the justice of the Dragon will stand strong.

1.9.jpg

The Bartheon army is almost upon us! I review our own forces. Then I appoint the men who will lead them into battle when the enemy arrives. But… where is Rhaegar? He was to lead the center! He was to be my sword in the field! I cannot find him! I CANNOT FIND HIM! They say only he is not at court! Where has he gone? WHO HAS TAKEN HIM?

1.10.jpg

I run to search every room of the Red Keep. As I do so, I see Ser Gerold Hightower, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, organize the men. He seems to be gesturing to Arthur Deyne. Thoros is there as well. As I go from room to room I hear trumpets and think absently battle is joined, but it is a thousand men from the north come to support their King. As I search, I come across Lord Osmund of Dyre Den conspiring with a page or whore, or possibly both. I hear him say the Iron Throne has too much power and it must be reduced! HE IS ANOTHER TRAITOR!

1.11.jpg
    1.12.jpg

I summon the guards on the spot and they throw him into prison. I will deal with him soon. For now, I must find my son. (Aaaand Aerys loses “Just”. Membership in faction is in itself not grounds for punishment; only plots.) I know any hopes of HIS plans coming to pass are destroyed with his arrest!

1.13.jpg

The Throne Room is a bleak and dark place without my son. I searched for days, I sought him throughout the city, and found nothing. None of my guards or men can shed light on it. I sit in the dull room and weep, weep for my lost son. Oh Rhaegar, what fate has befallen you? What traitor has slipped a knife into your back? Then I hear the sounds of war and it rouses me. Rhaegar may be gone, but I am not! I am A TARGARYEN! WE SHALL PREVAIL!

1.14.jpg

The war…

We are undone! We are defeated! But there is still hope, there are still loyal men in the field, there is still a long siege, there is still the fire. Some of my advisers recommend sending my family away, or even going with them. I will not! There is nowhere in Westeros safer for them than the Red Keep and I shall lead the defense myself.

1.15.jpg

You see? I was right to stand firm. A raven has just arrived from far to the north, where Lord Maldrec Crowl of Deepdown has proclaimed his loyalty to me. He begs forgiveness and states he was not even told by Eddard Stark of the reasons for his men being summoned. It is precisely the sort of lie I know the Starks would tell, they have no honor!

1.16.jpg
    1.17.jpg

Bahaha! Yes! All is well once again. The siege is lifted! I hear from ravens that a great host of Tyrell soldiers is approaching from the Reach! The Baratheons flee in fear. And not a day later, another Raven arrives from Castle Cerwyn. Even one of Stark’s closest has turned against him! Now the dominoes are beginning to fall.

1.18.jpg

NO! All is lost! The faithless traitor Walder Frey has sided against me, joining the Stark and Tully armies! I vomit in rage. I will see every last one of his misbegotten bastard children burned before his eyes! ARRRRGHH! As I rage, another message, even worse!

1.19.jpg

Sweet, loyal Jon Connington has been struck down in battle! The bastard Baratheon did it himself, though he must have used some trick or had help, for few men could match Connington! His cousin Ronald Connington sends word that he shall take up his fight.

1.4.jpg

My son Viserys is becoming known for spending time in the kitchens. (And he apparently ate the screenshot of the event in question, so have this little message instead.) It will not do to get fat! I strike him with the birch until he sobs and says he will no longer indulge so. Also, I notice that Rhaegar is here, so I command him to ride out and take charge of our remaining armies. (I have no idea where Rhaegar went or why he came back, but he was just "Away from Court" for a couple of weeks there!)

1.20.jpg

Suddenly, a great army of Tullys descends on King’s Landing! They take my army by surprise, but I am not concerned. Over 25,000 loyal men fight a short ways to the south, and once the Baratheon army is crushed by them, they will turn and destroy the Tullies in turn!

1.21.jpg

SLAUGHTERED! The traitor armies of Baratheon and Tully are both shattered! It is a glorious day. I issue orders to call up more men.

1.23.jpg

And now the time has come to decide on young Viserys’ path. He is much like his father, fierce and burning with passion, so I decide upon a courtly education for him. No expense is spared.

1.24.jpg

Shockingly, a courtier advises me that the vaults are empty and we are deeply in debt. This is not possible!

1.25.jpg

I hear news that from the North come the armies of the Arryns and Starks, accompanied by their Frey running dogs. No matter, they shall be smashed as their comrades in treason were. I suddenly feel rather tired, so I shall retire for the night.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 07-02-2014 at 04:02 AM.