Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Shining Force II

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Let's Play Shining Force II

Since I am still having trouble with audio related stuff, I decided to do a screenshot based Let's Play for you guys. I have decided to play one of my favorite Genesis games....

It being one of the best SRPGs of its time!

SEMI IMPORTANT NOTE: Normally, the game only lets you name the somewhat silent protagonist. However, there is a code that let's you name all the characters that you can get in this game, which does sport a rather large cast.

You have to name everyone right in a row using this code. My rule was that I had to name them the very first word that entered my mind. I named the main character "Sephex" because I am boring, but the rest of the cast were thought of on the fly.

Alright, on with the game.

THE OPENING

The game opens with a sneaky rat and two burly, shirtless thieves rummaging through an ancient tower. As you can see, they are off to a fantastic start.

Well, duh, you should have checked to the left first. Anyone who played EarthBound remembers the sign that says 70% of players search to the right first!

Oh, sure. Great. Grand. Wonderful. Yeah, messing with these jewels sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm sure everything will be fine Yeah, they're thieves, but perhaps their time would be better spent burglarizing a store or look for some actual treasure. This is the LAST thing you should be doing as a thief! No one is going to touch this score! It's too hot! Plus, it's not like you can simply grab such important artifacts right off the wall like that. There has to be a security measure of some sort!

Meanwhile, the King of the land, Granseal, is making a keen observation of the weather.

"YOU HEAR THAT, FATE?! YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME! I WILL DISMISS MY GUT FEELINGS AND NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN! NOPE!"

S***!!

Alright, back to the world's stupidest jewel heist. See? I told you that you can't just simply grab them off the wall! They're too important! I know my RPGs. There has to be some sort of ancient ritual to grab them. That or a dumbass fetch quest.

Correct. Go home. Do something better with your time.

Ah, the famous cunning nature of a thief! Right, have fun with that, rat.

HA! See? .... Wait, he got them?! You gotta be f***ing with my mind. Alright, so whoever built this ancient tower put in exactly two security measurements to prevent these obviously important jewels from be stolen:

1.) Hide some stairs.
    2.) Hope no one thinks to pull both jewels out of their slots at the same time.

Brilliant.

Hard to tell with a screen shot, but the tower begins to shake violently. The thieves make a hasty escape.

Word has traveled fast. The King, his minister, and a guard take note of the tower being opened impossibly.

The minister and the guard leave towards the tower to investigate, leaving the King alone in a darkened chamber. The King reminisces on his days as a Metal Gear Solid guard.

Just then, a shadow is cast on the chamber floor when a bright flash of lightening illuminates the stormy sky! Judging by the shadow, this sure looks like a scary creature.

No scary demon or whatever. It's simply Yoda cosplaying as a...wizard? Really creative you are old Jedi.

Wizard Yoda launches some sort of tornado looking thing at the King, who promptly passes out. After this scene, the title screen appears which leads us to...

PART ONE: Get the Gizmos!

Our story truly begins where most RPGs do: A lone hero waking up and triumphantly standing on his bed, celebrating vanquishing another night of sleep. This dude is so pumped up that he is fully dressed AND equipped. Maybe this will be the day he defies his mom and totally jumps on that bed!

Good morning to you too, crabass. You answered your own question.

Sephex ventures to school and gets an obvious hint from a classmate to grab the teacher from the basement. Probably been drinking again....

Uhhhhh...should I be seeing this? You want me to come back at a better time, man? You couldn't take care of this garbage at home, dude? Can...can you even get...never mind. I'll be upstairs when you are done "preparing" for our "lesson."

Please tell me you washed your hands. I didn't see no sink down there, asshole.

SEE? I KNEW he was drinking! (SPOILER)Nah, actually Astral is referring to a character I will soon acquire. You'll see why I did it.

Oh thank god this guard came to clear up the awkwardness. Now Astral can take his...uh...strokes of genius to solve whatever is plaguing the castle.

[insert Life Alert joke here]

Alright, why did I name the centaur Cheeto? His default name is Chester. I am so god damn clever.

Because she looks like a Monkey and I was thinking of Pokemon. Get off my case!

Mankey supposedly has a plan to get in the castle. She and Cheeto officially join the party and off we go!

Alright, Mankey...what's your game here?

Great plan. Cunning and thoughtful. 11/10~IGN

Dude, no. Everyone in the personnel knows that Astral went in to see what's up with the King.

Have I mentioned the security around this kingdom is top notch? Thanks for finishing and believing Mankey's flimsy excuse for us, morons!

They know the King is sick because he has that one Crash Test Dummies song in his head: Crash Test Dummies - MMM MMM MMM MMM (Official Music Video) - YouTube

You can tell how concerned Princess Barbie is by the expression on her face. Or maybe she listens to a lot of 90s music.

BUSTED! Who would have thought barging in the King's room would have got us caught!

NO! HE'S GOING TO BEAT MY ASS DRUNKENLY WITH HIS SEMEN ENCRUSTED HANDS!!!

Right, it might not be in good taste to hit children in front of key witnesses. Astral totally wings it and acts like he needed our help the entire time.

Astral, being amazingly spry for a man of his age, guns it to the tower. We are in pursuit! Hopefully he sobered up some.

You think Astral is making an observation here, but he was actually thinking of Star Wars and misquoting it.

He should have been thinking of "Gremlins!" You...you get the joke?! Well, at least there is only one of them.

Hey, maybe I should learn to keep my damn mouth shut.

THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR US!!! BATTLE TIME!!

Whew! It was a battle hard fought, but we won and--yeah, who am I kidding? It was the first battle. We steamrolled them.

Or it might be gunning for the King, guys.

IT'S GUNNING FOR THE KING, GUYS!!

Astral once again outruns three youths in their prime and makes his way to the King's room again. Princess Barbie is still pretending to be concerned while listening to the Counting Crows on her iPod.

Truly a fearsome battle cry. I am convinced he is possessed! 13/ORANGE~IGN

When exorcizing a demon, be very descriptive on what you are trying to do and be sure to endanger the possessed by launching a fireball at them.

Honestly, how did this kingdom even flourish?

You can only outrun a hangover so long, old man. Jerking it was a good technique to get the blood flowing, but launching a fireball might remind your body that you were hanging out with Captain Morgan, dude.

Actually, Astral fainted from the intense battle, and the Pink Gizmo got away. The minister commissions random castle staff to hunt it down and kill it. I often send a group of strong people at a monster that can possess people. Nothing ever goes wrong.

The minister is worried about the situation and turns to comfort our group...

WOW. What a jerk hole. Try this line next time your grandpa is hospitalized. Then run before you get your ass kicked.

Astral regained consciousness according to the King. He basically admits to knowing next to nothing about the history of his own kingdom and asks the party to go off to a small town a little ways away to learn from a man called Hawel. Maybe by learning about Granseal's past we can find out what's REALLY going on here...

Aaaaaaand that's why I named him BEEEEER! Look at those cheeks and nose! This whole kingdom is full of alcoholics!

And that's all I have for today! Stay tuned for the next part! Hope you enjoyed!
    Last edited by Sephex; 04-30-2014 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spaced pictures better that were next to each other without text/fixed typos. Maybe I shouldn't rush so much. :/

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

This is a really attractive looking game. For 1994, I am very impressed. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds as I don't think I've got the time to play through it myself!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Despite how much I seem to be ripping into it, yeah, this game is really fun. I played it all the damn time back within the first couple of years after this was released. As you can see, the dialogue is a bit wonky, but the gameplay is totally worth it, especially after you get different kinds of characters and eventually get the early characters promoted, which changes their class to a more powerful version of itself. Sometimes, the character profile pic changes to reflect the change.

I haven't shown it yet, but the main characters profile pic makes him look like a very young boy, appropriately. Once he gets promoted, he looks more hero-like. These days it seems pretty standard, but back then it was really cool to see a change like that in all these characters I control on the battlefield.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yo Sephex you need to stream this!

Articles
    Blog Entries

But...but...I already started to do it this way! Tell you what, I'll stream something else.

It's Shining Force II, Sephex. The best game on the Genesis, and one of the best tactical RPGs of all time. You can play it twice.

Or maybe I should figure out how to stream it...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Loving these gorgeous graphics

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

XVfhWbI.png

this gizmo is totally wearing a troll face
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    It's Shining Force II, Sephex. The best game on the Genesis, and one of the best tactical RPGs of all time. You can play it twice.

Or maybe I should figure out how to stream it...
    At work last night I kept thinking, and I'll probably end up streaming it regardless. I meant more along the lines of streaming something else in the immediate future. Also, sorry for the title goof. When I made this thread last night, it was nearing the time I had to leave for work. I wanted to get the thread up before I left, and I rushed some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Loving these gorgeous graphics
    Back when I met one of my long time friends in Jr. High, he showed be the first Shining Force. Though II looks better, the original Shining Force is no slouch, and I was wowed by the cut scene sequences for battles. Shining Force II was one of the few titles that caused my SNES to collect dust for a bit, and anyone who knows me the slightest bit realizes how significant that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    XVfhWbI.png

this gizmo is totally wearing a troll face
    Ha! Good observation. "Problem, Astral?"

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This is a game I know by name but have never seen so much as a screenshot before.

Now I feel like I missed out on this back when it came out. Sephex commentary on top? This is my go-to thread now.

"If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old."

"Ever think of the jerk hole?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    This is a game I know by name but have never seen so much as a screenshot before.

Now I feel like I missed out on this back when it came out. Sephex commentary on top? This is my go-to thread now.

"If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old."

"Ever think of the jerk hole?"
    Yes, you got my silly ass weird inside joke! For real, what the hell was the minister's problem? I often wonder how accurate that line is translated? Maybe it came across less harsh in Japanese. Maybe it was supposed to say something like, "He's old, so it won't be surprising if he dies." That's still rather harsh, but more understandable to hear that from an official of some sort.

I put too much thought into these things.

I'm disappointed at the slow update rate.

Also, it's a lie that you have to name every character at once. There is one character to whom that does not apply.

What difficulty are you on?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I'm disappointed at the slow update rate.

Also, it's a lie that you have to name every character at once. There is one character to whom that does not apply.

What difficulty are you on?
    *lol, it's been two days. I have other things going on with my life. If things go well, I'll have another update up today, if not tomorrow. In all honestly, I'll probably only update twice a week.

*I didn't lie, I purposely left out that information. The code does let you name the rest of the cast, but the other character you do indeed name on the fly. MAYBE I WANT STUFF TO BE A SURPRISE FOR PEOPLE UNFAMILIAR WITH THE GAME!! RAAHHHH!!

*Normal. It's a humorous Let's Play involving screen shots. Not going to make it hard on myself when the focus is capturing screen shots and cracking jokes once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    *lol, it's been two days. I have other things going on with my life. If things go well, I'll have another update up today, if not tomorrow. In all honestly, I'll probably only update twice a week.
    Unacceptable! [/Agnès]

*I didn't lie, I purposely left out that information. The code does let you name the rest of the cast, but the other character you do indeed name on the fly. MAYBE I WANT STUFF TO BE A SURPRISE FOR PEOPLE UNFAMILIAR WITH THE GAME!! RAAHHHH!!
    There shouldn't be people unfamiliar with this game. It's one of the games everyone should play.

*Normal. It's a humorous Let's Play involving screen shots. Not going to make it hard on myself when the focus is capturing screen shots and cracking jokes once in awhile.
    I was just curious. I was also wondering whether you knew that "Super" was actually more difficult than "Ouch".

BTW, there's actually a reason why Astral beats you everywhere. Although Sephex doesn't show it, while Astral goes straight to the tower, you typically spend several minutes walking around, talking to NPCs, and looting everything in sight. You know, standard hero stuff.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-01-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

PART TWO: Headed to Hawel's

Before I set off, I figure I might as well show you guys the profile shot of the protagonist. Oh, and his default name is Bowie. He isn't a Goblin King, though.

The second the party sets foot outside of Granseal, a pack of blobs and rats are ready to pounce! BATTLE TIME!!

Oh, sure. Get the one woman all messy and wet. Never change, Japan!

After making short work of the odd wildlife, we have to pass through the town of Yeel in order to get to Hawel's.

Thanks for bringing the enthusiasm to the table, bro. I know that you're a typical NPC, but you don't have to deflate all sense of adventure out of us! Doesn't anybody have anything interesting to say?

Is...is that a brand or something? I'm all for safe sex, but I don't think anyone is excited about wearing a raincoat. AND CUTE IS ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING ITS SMALL!! (SPOILER)You guessed it. That's another character I'll get waaaaaaaay down the line.

We run into this bored looking man who offers to guide us to Hawel, who he is studying under.

The first word I thought of when he came up to be named was, "Whatever..." Look at that face! He was asking for it. Him and the real Squall should get in a shrug off.

More blobs, rats, and a single bat decide that they want to end my journey. I'll spare the battle screen shots for now, as there isn't anything real different to show.

Oh, really? The lone house in the middle of nowhere where everyone said to go is where he lives? Whatever...

After barging in, our heroes discover that Hawel was being AXED a few questions from some soldiers! They quickly flee the scene.

...which is exactly what many FFVIII players said when it took Squall forever to share his feelings with Rinoa, even after she was sitting in his lap.

HEY! You're the protagonist in an JRPG! You're not allowed to talk, even if you are just whispering!

Galam is the kingdom to the north of Granseal. Like, seriously, it's just across a short field. And they wanted to know about something called Ground Seal. HEY, I WONDER IF IT IS RELATED TO THE KINGDOM OF GRANSEAL?!

Come on, no one in Granseal could figure out what the name of their kingdom was inferring?

Hey man, if you knew the seal was so important, why wouldn't you take the 10 minute walk to let the kingdom know that perhaps they should be wary of the obviously super important jewels on their land? You can't cry about it now! Look at all those books! You didn't just discover this!

Hahaha, I like how direct he is about it. Squall is totally aware he's in a cliche' scene. If this was a TV show or something, he would have quickly eyeballed the camera and winked.

Hawel pleads with Squall to set things right and he officially joins the party. Well, as tragic as Hawel's death is, at least he lived a happy, peaceful, fulfilling life and--

Oh my god.

PART THREE: Free Trip to Galam!

As per usual, the second we set foot outside, the party sights potential enemies.

That would be Mr. Condom and a gang of Galam soliders. I don't think I have to explain this name.

Oh, come on, man! You are begging for the whole group of soldiers to laugh their asses off. Then Condom will make a bad pun or deliver a nasty taunt.

"Sick burn. Total devastation of feelings. Mission accomplished." Deep Impact/Armageddon~IGN

Just to let you guys know, Squall's whole deal is attack magic. This may look like a weak fire spell, but before you know it, he's literally raining hell on enemies. Love it.

Oh, and the soldiers have growing red eyes? I am sure they're just wearing contacts or something...

From my memory, this is the only battle that you can lose and the game will still continue. I did indeed win, which is why Condom is praising me for my hardline tactics.

Condom knocks Sephex out. Well, he is indeed the leader, but what prevents everyone else from continuing to battle?

Well, the golden rule to any Shining Force game is that if the leader is defeated, the battle is won. That goes for the good guys or bad guys. I just think it's amusing that Condom seems to be reading straight out of the instruction booklet and the rest of my party is all like, "Damn. He got us! It's in the rules! Curse it all!"

What is with everyone in this game greeting everyone in the game as rudely as possible after they wake up? Dude, I was knocked the f*** out by a solider with possible decades of experience ahead of me! What did you expect?!

Hey, look who is in the slammer with us!

The party gets in a discussion with other inmates about the sudden hostility of Galam, and what exactly happened to the jewels.

Okay, rat. Play it cool. There is no way they can connect you to the crime!

Well played. Just help them, and they'll be on their way. No questions asked!

Oh, I see this inmate has a copy of the instruction booklet, as well!

Look, I was thinking about "Of Mice and Men." Yes, I know it's supposed to be "Lennie." The 'Y' makes it more amusing to me and I love anticlimactic RPG names.

Oh sure, cast suspicion on the rat thief!

That was an awfully quick trial, Mankey. As you can see by Lenny sitting in the corner, Mankey knocked him over in anger.

The party decides to stupidly go up the stairs to the left. Lenny, still feeling bad about all the chaos he caused, shows the party a secret passage he knows about so they won't be caught.

Lenny fesses up fully to what he did, and decided to follow the party out to escape with them.

Boy if I had a nickel for every time I faced this dilemma...

As the party crosses the path above King Galam's throne room, they eavesdrop on his speech to his soldiers...

That's the reason you're giving your army to attack your neighbor across the yard? Were there reports of weapons of mass destruction in Granseal?<--ORIGINAL JOKE DO NOT STEAL

Seeing how you have been JAILING people who do (an inmate in the jail said he was in there because he disagreed with the idea of attacking Granseal), I don't think you're going to meet much resistance, jarhead. The King, Condom, and the army leave to attack Granseal.

...said no man ever.

BUSTED. Our escape is cut short. The enemy I highlighted was bragging about being gifted a certain Jewel of Light by King Galam for capturing a rat...hmmmm...

The party easily squashes the Galam soldiers in a quick battle. Lenny confirms the obvious. We also learn that King Galam took the Jewel of Evil with him to Granseal.

What the...? Well, that's certainly strange!

Well now Lenny HAS to officially join the party! He was so close to getting his jewel back! Actually he feels guilty about the mess he created, still. He joins to hopefully set things right.

And off to Granseal we go! Will we stop the incoming war between Galam and Granseal? Why is King Galam acting strangely so suddenly? Stay tuned for the next part to find out!