Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's Play Shining Force II

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Part Seven: Angry Birds: God Edition

We venture into Bedoe and find...a bunch of drunk birds! Good to know they are taking the threat of devils outside their gates so seriously.

I would say that this bird warrior is hurt because of a recent battle, but after running into the bar birds, I'm positive he's just nursing a hangover.

The more I look around Bedoe, the more I wonder how yet another civilization learned how to thrive. That should be instinct, guys! There's no book for humans that's titled "HOW TO WALK!"

Confirmed. The bird people of Bedoe have a long history of alcoholism.

Enough of this, let's just to talk to the king.

Hah, another amusing NPC guard! It's actually kind of clever that kneeling isn't in their kingdom's tradition since these dudes fly in place when idling (assuming they aren't drunk in bed).

Direct conformation that their God did indeed annihilate the devils in that mountain path that we fought on earlier.

The conversation moves to a Greater Devil that seems to be missing. The guards worry that they should do something about him, lest he has a second wind. But hey, not even the bad guys can find this mystery Greater Devil, so whatever!

Oh? Another seemingly important bird character!

Yes, this is the character I named Angry. Because he's a bird. I am sure this one is going to get me banned from here.

Angry reveals that he met up with the people of Granseal, so he already knows what Afrodo, Sephex, and the gang is up to. It's almost as if the writers didn't feel like having the same conversation again or something...

Ah, that great evil that was unsealed on Grans island indeed has a name...

They warn Afrodo that Volcanon is angry, but that the legendary bird and Sephex should go have a chat with the Big Bird, himself.

Nice shrine. Oh, and this music is playing. I like how it gets kind of creepy eventually that tells the player the world has a long history. It's also used as a battle map background music later: http://youtu.be/_nbl2K8kstU

Were the other birds pulling a prank on Afrodo? Volcanon seems pretty chill to me.

No, please, let's not ruin this.

Told you! Yeah, Volcanon is just....mildly irritated that a great evil was unleashed by Grans peo--wait a minute! Screw that, get that rat up here! Lenny's the one to blame! He's, like, the only rat person in the world! Can't you just forsake his race and call it even instead of lumping us ground walkers in one basket?

No! Giving him the sassy look is only going to anger Big Bird further!

Damn right, it was that rat bastard! Literally!

Yup. I knew he was going to lump anyone who moves on the ground in the same category. Enjoy the Occupy Bedoe movement, Volcanon! We are the 11%! Because...each number 1...uh...represents a leg and so the number...uh...11...represents people who walk and stuff.

Nailed it.

That's....not going to help, man.

Oh, hahahaha! Really? You've been "protecting" us while I've been manhandling the devils, demons, and various other enemies? So, basically, nothing has changed, huh?

Well, that actually might be a problem then. Crap, I already mocked him.

Hey, I know a human that you would love, jerk! The minister of Granseal basically had the same dismissive attitude when Astral was down and out! Also, NOW its just the human's fault?! We all know the rat guy did it!

I got the jewels. Fly me back to Grans island! We can take care of this in five minutes!

I don't need advice. Just give me a lift, man!

Oh, ho ho ho! We got a funny one, here!

You can see the jewels. You are aware of the jewels. You are aware that I have been fighting the bad guys. You want Zeon resealed. But your contribution is to guilt trip my race, even though no one from it caused this problem, and let very young warriors (on average) take on evil beings that come close to your power or greater?

"Prefect planning and management skills. God Of The Year!" 12/Bloody Nipples ~IGN

Same plan as always, got it.

His heart is fine. His ability to think rationally and strategically on the other hand? Uhhh....

And with that, Afrodo officially joins us. Now I can control him in battle. Finally, he won't steal kills from other members that I rather have gain experience! The jerk!

No, man. The shaking he caused while he was screaming at us was merely part of a pep talk. Don't pretend like you didn't hear all that! Angry is like the older sibling that knows you got yelled at by your parents, and plays dumb just so he can subtly rub it in your face!

If I don't do it, Volcanon is going to brood some more and blame more crap on humanity, so yeah, looks like I have to go take care of this!

Ugh, no! I can't stand that band!

Oh, Creed is the name of a former bad guy. Got it. We'll go seek him out!

We have to go downriver to meet up with this Creed fellow, so King Bedoe wants Angry to go tell the mayor of Polca to hook us up with a raft.

Alright, time to head back to Polca and--wait. Let's see what is over to the left...

Oh, a parent irresponsibly playing catch with her baby who is incapable of flight! I sure hope alcohol isn't involved!

WELP.

Sephex is there to break the fall! All is well and mother and baby return insdie. NOW let's head to Polca...

Not a few steps in town, there seems to be commotion nearby.

Ah, Angry is arguing with devils! Great comeback, by the way. I am sure they are scared.

The top and bottom devil quickly struck the other birds. Angry is guarded by plot armor.

Nah man, Angry don't roll like that.

Eh? They're after that injured boy that came down the mountain earlier...

The bearded man appears to help out!

Ah, so Oddler is the same of said boy.

Yup. I named him Beardo. Again, they all can't be winners!

Angry wants to join to! Sweet, two new party members before bat---

I guess it will have to wait till later. Battle begins!

Beardo has a great balance of attack and defense, but I love how he looks like a drunk dude when fighting.

As usual, the enemies posed no real problem. Better make sure Angry is alright.

I know he is supposed to make a bird sound, but imagining a dignified deep voice (I assume Angry sounds that way) literally saying "squawk" is cracking me up.

Angry is okay, and he honors his duty to procure a raft.

This would be Oddler. The damage to his eyes when he was found earlier did blind the poor kid.

The mayor assumed the devils won the battle and is scared out of his mind.

Come on, mayor. If the blind kid isn't freaking out, neither should you. Plus, the devils would have had your head on a pike by now!

Angry is angry. All the more reason to guilt the mayor into giving us a raft!

"Yes, sir! Preparing a raft angrily!"

We barley have taken a few steps when the mayor pesters us.

Angry, I know you are living up to your namesake, but stop being so dumb. Like, three waves of devils were here in less than 24 hours. They are after the blind kid, Oddler, for some reason. No matter what that reason is, it can't be good. Let's just take him with us.

Yep. He has purple hair. He qualifies as a dude who can hang with us RPG folk!

And he has amnesia? Bro, you're totally in! You definitely qualify as RPG folk!

Seriously, this better not be the band we're talking about.

And Angry officially joins us!

Down the river we go! Hey, let's see what's over here!

Ah. Well, battle time!

Angry is a decent fighter that has the advantage of having no range limit since he flies. He pales in comparison to Afrodo, though.

There was no way we were going to be the devil's dessert in the desert, so we easily won once again and head for this interesting location...

After being mistaken for a person called Petro, this dude wonders who we are.

The old man seems to think we are this Petro character, as well. Guess he stole some treasure from them or something.

We eventually get to talking with the old man. He claims he knows of a place that has a tunnel leading all the way back to Grans! Whoa! Maybe we can sneak back there and put this thing away early!

Apparently, this is the location! Does this place truly lead back to Grans? Well, stay tuned for the next part to find out, silly!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Mt. Volcano? Jesus christ xD Also amnesiac with crazy coloured hair is such a cliché omg

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Mt. Volcano? Jesus christ xD Also amnesiac with crazy coloured hair is such a cliché omg
    Yes, but this game does do a pretty good job with the cliché. Oddler is not the main character, has a reason for the amnesia (massive trauma from the volcanic eruption), and there are a couple of other twists with him later.

Also, if we're allowed, I'm totally voting for Tyrin as the guy you get from Creed's place. Most awesome grizzled wizard in the game. He's like Astral, except actually useful in combat.

Karna is a waste. She's completely broken, to the point that even if you get her later in the game, she can level up fast enough to match the rest of your team in just a few battles (plus, it'll give you time to get the second Vigor Orb).

Randolph is probably the second best choice, and he is fairly awesome, but I like Tyrin better.

No one likes Eric.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Having just looked at this thread, and by that I mean I haven't read all the posts yet, I seem to gatehr in this game there is a place called Mt. Volcano.

...What the smurf? XD

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played this game so many times that the Mt. Volcano name doesn't even phase me. That's probably why I didn't make a joke about it or comment on it!

Oh, also, update this Friday.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just now catching up with this thread, so sorry for some of the late comments! Haven't read all of your posts yet but I plan to catch up soon

Here are some of my thoughts so far

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex
    Anyone who played EarthBound remembers the sign that says 70% of players search to the right first!
    I find this interesting because I almost always make a point of going left first

Grenseal looks like a depressed drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex
    This dude is so pumped up that he is fully dressed AND equipped.
    This made me lol. Well, a lot of your comments do, but I'd never thought before about how heroes almost always wake up fully dressed.

Squall looks so bored with everything

Mr. Condom looks like a dweeb

I like Lenny bragging about being a thief and then Mankey's all "ARE YOU THE THIEF?@?@"

How does the battle system in this game work? Seems like you use 1 character at a time?

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game is a strategy RPG where you do indeed move one character at a time on the battle field. The battle screen shots are actually short cutscenes that happen when you or an enemy attacks.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's neat. Kind of reminds me of the war battles in Suikoden.

More comments: I do enjoy how quickly the people built a town. Giggling guard is also a highlight.

The phoenix looks so dweeby xD Also hahaha Afrodo

I like the roll me over test. What xD

Beardo is also an excellent name

Articles
    Blog Entries

Update on this Let's Play:

Stupid ass errands that I have to do tomorrow that I didn't realize I had to do until a few minutes ago (at work now, so I can't do it now, either) are going to get in the way of the update I had planned.

I couldn't work on it any other time this week because I am streaming games for people, as promised.

Good news is that I will be on vacation after tonight's shift at work. So I'll be able to make up for lost time with my free time!

I am still looking forward to the update you promised...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.