Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcement: Don't Use Internet Explorer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    I only ever utilize IE when I am checking for compatibility issues with website/forum content.
    You can just emulate IE within firefox for that.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I haven't used Internet Explorer since somebody informed me there were other web browsers I could download. That was 2007.
    Fffffft. I started using Firefox version 0.8 in 2004!

hipster_cat_by_spooncity-d5hpm96.jpg

Hipster_bf284c_1912078.jpg

remember when opera was really good and awesome and then firefox came out with add-ons or w/e and it owned and now opera is like based on chrome or something now #browserchat

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    remember when opera was really good and awesome and then firefox came out with add-ons or w/e and it owned and now opera is like based on chrome or something now #browserchat
    RIP Opera

RIP all those other weird alternative browsers that came out around that time

Blog Entries

Having spent all morning trying to fix a compatibility issue in the version of IE that everyone at the Welsh Government uses (8), I don't care if they all go down in flames.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I use IE at work because a web portal we utilize requires IE8 to run on and it's terrible.

And I do browse EoFF at work, but thankfully I have Chrome installed for that.
    This is the exact same situation with me.

photo.JPG

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

IE hate is the antiquated thing around here. What is this, 2006? IE hasn't been that bad for a while (I never have issues with site load times). I use Chrome and IE simultaneously at home. Not because of any security or cookie reason, but because I like having tabs on one browser (for things I keep open permanently) and not on another (for most other things). I'm very particular about such things. Also, someone has to spot the things at EoFF that don't work in IE. I use IE at work because it's work, and that's what work gives us.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    The real question is why anyone would be using IE in the first place.
    Exactly.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    IE hate is the antiquated thing around here. What is this, 2006? IE hasn't been that bad for a while (I never have issues with site load times). I use Chrome and IE simultaneously at home. Not because of any security or cookie reason, but because I like having tabs on one browser (for things I keep open permanently) and not on another (for most other things). I'm very particular about such things. Also, someone has to spot the things at EoFF that don't work in IE. I use IE at work because it's work, and that's what work gives us.
    Ditto. Aside from this bug, there hasn't been too much to complain about with IE.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Remember to keep any browser you use updated. Similar vulnerabilities have been found in Chrome and Firefox too in the past few days, though they do have bugfixes out in their most recent updates whereas Microsoft is still working on one for IE, last I heard.

Flash Player is another thing you should update if you have it.

And of course, be sensible about what links you follow - don't just mindlessly click whatever link you're sent, whether it's in an email from an unknown sender or in chat from a trusted friend. If you don't visit a site that takes advantage of this vulnerability, you'll be okay (in this case).

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    So let me get this straight, my friend. In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen, you are honestly, without a trace of irony, defending Internet Explorer. I am not entirely sure how to process this. I mean I know you do, because you're Lonny Bob, but my brain rejects the information whenever I'm not faced with it because how can someone be so deluded?

I also believe you meant to say "I'm very autismal about such things." because damn son, that's autismal. Have you considered trying Zac Browser instead? It might be well suited to such a degree of sperginess.

Finally, no, nobody has to spot the things at EoFF that don't work in IE. We've been over this before and every single person in the world except for you agreed that people still using IE instead of a browser that isn't terrible don't deserve to use our forums. Even people who use IE exclusively agreed they were the inferior race and should not be given consideration.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used IE for a long time and then I started using Firefox about 3 years ago because... I don't remember why. But I like it!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

IE ain't so bad these days. Still not the best browser, but not deserving of any categorical dismissal, really. I agree with BoB - IE hate seems a bit antiquated these days. And I say that as a web developer, quite possibly the group of people worst afflicted by IE's terribleness of yore!

IE is usually associated with gaping security holes, which is a little unfair. Adobe is also noted to have awful security. I'm sure if Firefox and Foxit were the leading software used by the majority of people then we'd be hearing similar things said about those softwares re: security.

Having said that, I still think IE and Adobe suck, and try not to use them unless forced, because of the same reason. Popular software is more commonly targeted by criminals. It doesn't help that many (most?) workplaces don't bother to update their software (or wait months to do so), leaving their users and data at risk.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well well well, the Swede reveals his true colors.