Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Story footnotes for easy reference

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I fixed it. Sorry Formy

Better
    . No harm done. I must improve the clarity of my writing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lonely Paper Star
    Camille finds 2 Chocobos missing, Bristles and Koko.
    Bristles is a rare blue Chocobo, which she needs financially.
    She suspects thieves have stolen them and that they are headed for Lucrecia. She wonders how familiar the thieves are with the Wylds.
    She herself is very familiar with the Wylds, as she trains her Chocobos there. Bristles and Koko, however, are still young and have not completed their training.
    She debates which Chocobo to take in pursuit, and decides on her fastest one, Prestissima, Song of the Night, who is a black professional race Chocobo.
    Stissi, as she calls the Chocobo for short, is less bonded to her now, as Camille doesn't ride her as much, being reminded of another time and of The Queen's Cup.
    They head in to the Bethereon Wylds to find the other Chocobos.

shion
    Kathvi is lead from the busy streets by a stranger who she isn't quite sure she can trust.
    The stranger asks her about herself and she answers she is from the mountains.
    She shows her unfamiliarity with the area by asking what the festival that is currently happening is being thrown for.
    As she tries to remove herself from the conversation, a drunk spills on her.

Loony BoB
    Jahred introduces himself officially to Kathvi as a trader from Akimolm and sends the drunk away with spare change.
    He asks Kathvi more about herself, as he has strong interest in learning new things. He asks where she is from and what she is familiar with.
    He tells her it is better to speak to him than a prison guard, which wasn't intended as a threat.

Formalhaut
    Locke prepares to leave for Lucrecia during a New Moon.
    Alistair is distraught, and Locke tries to reassure him that he will be back before the moon is full. Alistair is worried Locke will die like his father, Benton, who passed away on an outside visit, and runs off.
    Serrine, Alistair's mother, reassures Locke of the father-like figure he has become in the household.
    Locke heads home after talking to Serrine, and will depart in the morning.

Citizen Bleys

The Brilliance Desmond had taken begins to wear off and he tries to establish a plan.
    He attempts to use his jigger, to help figure out his positioning, but it won't load.
    He realizes he might have trouble communicating with civilization, as some of the aliens who came to Nexus took years to learn. He remembers that Nexus is based off of the language of the Ancients, a subject he'd failed in school.
    He attempts to build a fire, pulling out his jigger once again for help, only to remember it won't work. He instead decides on the method of rubbing sticks together, which fails.
    He decides to hunt for raw meat, using his jigger as a musical instrument. This results in the rabbit attacking him.
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 05-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Agent Proto
    The Lost Soul docks at a sandy beach and most of the crew is out to explore the nearby village, which is mostly small huts.
    Radley goes in to a hut with a woman and small child and holds a crossbow up to them, demanding their loot.
    Radley notices a chest and demands the woman open it. She tries, but says it needs a key. He sends the small boy to get the key.
    The chest is eventually opened and contains jewelry, coins, a few gold goblets, and some knives and daggers.

Sephiroth
    Serophyn is at the Inn, wondering about how he will pay for a room. The Innkeeper jokes around with him about checking in late, and Serophyn, used to more direct speak, mistakenly thinks he can't have a room.
    The Innkeeper calls him back, but Serophyn replies that he won't be able to pay. The Innkeeper then tells him he can have a room in exchange for help moving some barrels, chests and boxes.
    Serophyn steals a few looks with his unique appearance, and also due to his Emotio-Libra, people can feel his Aura, even if they can't see it.
    He struggles to loosen the connection of his Emotio-Libra and to just be at peace so he can find some sleep, until he finally succeeds and finds some rest.

Tasura
    As Xilkar approaches the shore, he finds his caution replaced by curiosity.
    He finds a young girl and asks her many rapid fire questions about herself and her surroundings.
    He eventually asks how many there are like her and his curiosity is once again replaced by caution.

shion
    Kathvi confesses to Jahred that all she can remember is a snowy mountain and a bakery.
    She feels very insecure and wants to leave, but she stays out of loneliness.
    She attempts to lighten the mood by asking for some ice cream.
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 05-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Please edit the last part to "he struggles to loosen the connection of his Emotio-Libra and to just be at peace so he can finally find some sleep, until he finally succeeds and finds some rest", as that is what the end is about. He just wants to loosen the connection and be alone so he can rest. The let others feel positive energy and vice-versa thing was befre.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

*Devore*
    Azelin, an assassin, is chasing his target in Hy'Ton, a Beastman from the Northern Isles.
    The Beastman had robbed his fifth storage facility and was marked for death.
    As Azelin draws his Kunai and prepares to attack his target, he finds himself somewhere unfamiliar, filled with crowds and several drunk people.
    He suspects he was victim to some kind of trap.
    For the third time in his life, he begins to cry when he realizes he isn't in Vil'Deamon.

Jinx
    Ulla feels uncomfortable in the crowded streets of Lucrecia.
    One of her fellow Atlus was badly wounded and she didn't have the supplies to heal him.
    She meets another Ursus, a white Aelum, who asks her about all of the people. She informs him that it is for the Queen's Festival. He thanks her and walks off.
    She continues her search for a stall.

Tala finds herself no closer to finding what she was looking for... whatever that was.
    She noticed a strange human looking at her. She wasn't used to interacting with other races, but she knew they didn't stare at Ursus, especially an Aelum such as herself.
    The human bows at her, which she takes as a sign of respect, and she bows back.
    She picks up his sent, which is somewhat strange to her.

Loony BoB
    Jahred advises Kathvi against getting ice cream, worried about how the masses would react, seeing as how they aren't used to her species.
    Jahred, seeing Kathvi upset, tries to be positive for her, excited about seeing a new race.
    He recommends they seek an Aelum, a tribe of Ursus that live in the mountains, thinking they will be the best shot for information.
    They walk among the festival, and Jahred spots a Aelum sniffing the air.

plef
    Ja'ak was making good progress on his way to Lucrecia, finding himself halfway to Naithe.
    He swipes a crab for breakfast and Linksie the cat, arrives with a dead rabbit to eat.
    Ja'ak playfully scolds Linksie, telling her she needed to stay behind and guard the forest. Linksie ignores him.

kossage
    Haruko happily finds she has escaped the monster, only to notice many other creatures wandering around the street casually. She wonders what is going on that these demons are among humans, suspicious of their motives.
    Haruko asks a strange man about the gathering and he informs her of the Queen's Festival.
    She mistakenly believes the Queen refers to the wife of King Anshar, someone the stranger has never heard of.
    She tries to be more clear with the man, who tells her he knows nothing about the things she is describing, which to her are the two greatest Kingdoms in the world.
    She spots the Ursus and runs in to the crowd, hoping its all a dream that she needs to wake up from.

Nargul reaches his destination of the King's Square.
    The people he brought by rickshaw pay horribly and treat him in a very racist manner.
    Being in a foul mood, instead of bringing the rickshaw back now that his shift is over, he pulls up to the Ceiling Cat to get himself a drink.

AlaynaMae
    Cohen is taken aback by the bear noticing him staring and prepares himself to flee if necessary.
    When he sees the white bear expressing what seems to be curiosity, he introduces himself and asks for an introduction from the Ursus.

shion
    Kathvi is intimidated by the large Ursus creature that she has never seen before.
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 05-03-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was wondering if anyone wanted to fill in for me on notes this weekend, since this usually takes me a good hour (I'm slow) and I am feeling under the weather and would also like to spend time with my boyfriend. If no one else can manage, I will do it, but any help would be much appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll see what I can do Shion!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Right-O! It's the weekend, so I shall be temporarily taking over Shion's impeccable role as the footnoter. I will probably, nigh, definitely make mistakes, so feel free to smack me with a trout if I mess up. And now, without further ado...

Currently, the only new story is Bleys, but what I'll do is update this as Saturday rolls along. It's the weekend so I'm expecting some exciting additions to our stories!

Citizen Bleys
    Still lost, Desmond decides to follow a road in the hopes that it will lead him to civilisation.
    His attempts at catching rabbits eventually succeeds, and manages to hunt several.
    Desmond is suddenly held at Crossbow-point by a thief. Desmond attempts to 'Spike' the thief's relative lethargy and lack of confidence.
    Unfortunately, the youth fires his Crossbow, creating a gash in Desmond's cheek.
    Primal instinct takes over Desmond and he viciously strangles the boy until the life drains out of him. He has never killed a man before.
    His senses back, he realises the enormity of what he has just done.
    Quickly hiding, he slumps by a tree, and wonders to himself why the boy he has just killed spoke and looked like a Nexan.

Madonna
    "Blackie" Ganister, a Doban, checks the straps and harnesses of his Cargo Chocobos. He is expecting two sellers to arrive for a legally dubious exchange in the Betheron Wylds.
    They haven't arrived at the expected time, and thoughts cross through Blackie's head as to why.
    Passing the time, he begins sketching, one of his talents.

*Devore*
    Azelin has just arrived in the world of Sedorra. His emotions are highly frayed as he contemplates violence, but knows better, and sheaths his kunai.
    Maggie, a Hyu'man lady, stumbles into Azelin and, mistaking him for a Doban, asks if he is alright.
    Stumbling over the common tongue of Sedorra, Azelin manages to ask for directions to a library or bookstore, but is told they are closed on account of the Queen's Festival in Lucrecia.
    Maggie and the other lady offer to take Azelin to 'The Ceiling Cat', a tavern that is frequented by many Doban. Seeing no other option, he complies, and joins the two ladies.

Formalhaut
    During the morning, Locke visits Serrine's house one last time to check that they will be alright while he is away. Serrine assures Locke that they will do just fine.
    Locke travels along the O'Hare Highroad, bound towards Lucrecia in what will take approximately two days.
    During the evening, Locke sets up his camp for the night. Sounds coming from a short distance away startle him, but it is only Alistair, who followed Locke at a distance.
    Alistair is insistent that he stays with Locke, to ensure he does not die like his father did.
    Locke attempts to reason with the child. After some time, he comes up with a compromise.
    Locke will allow Alistair to join him to Lucrecia, though under strict supervision. He goes to sleep, even more anxious about what will happen at Lucrecia.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 05-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    swears in his native tongue profusely.
    Is that a reference to drek, or Kn'thrak and harakh? Because drek is just idiomatic slang, and the other two are references to a part of Nexus's history that the Nexan people try to ignore or pretend didn't happen, like Americans with slavery, Brits with colonialism, and Canadians with Celine Dion.

I guess harakh is kind of sweary, but Kn'thrak just means the end of all things.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Is that a reference to drek, or Kn'thrak and harakh? Because drek is just idiomatic slang, and the other two are references to a part of Nexus's history that the Nexan people try to ignore or pretend didn't happen, like Americans with slavery, Brits with colonialism, and Canadians with Celine Dion.

I guess harakh is kind of sweary, but Kn'thrak just means the end of all things.
    I'm afraid I don't know the native tongue! Sorry I got it mixed up Bleys!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not an easy job summarising a story with multiple authors, each of whom know things the others don't xD

That's why we clarify, though.

Technically it's possible for you to have known, but very, very unlikely.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I also thought this was Desmond swearing, because in the second post about him there's the section that says:

"Drek!" he cursed as the bunny bit into his calf, drawing blood. "You drek-rotting piece of drek!"

Desmond really needed to work on his swearing.
    and then in this most recent post there's:

Holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek
    If it isn't a swear word, maybe an edit of that second post is in order?

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlaynaMae View Post

I also thought this was Desmond swearing, because in the second post about him there's the section that says:

"Drek!" he cursed as the bunny bit into his calf, drawing blood. "You drek-rotting piece of drek!"

Desmond really needed to work on his swearing.
    and then in this most recent post there's:

Holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek holy drek
    If it isn't a swear word, maybe an edit of that second post is in order?
    Yeah, this was what I based my assumption on. I just assumed that was their version of 'Holy F-word!'.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Drek is "trout," so yeah, I guess it's a kind-of swear.

"Harakh" is also "trout "

Blog Entries

I...I am going to go out on a limb here, but that sounds like a swear because the context is clear, origin and translation be damned. Will others say, "omg thats a bad word!" if drek is said in front of them? Maybe not, since it is unfamiliar to them, but Desmond certainly knows what the smurf he is saying.

These footnotes can be useful and it can be great to have such a resource available.