Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

My first MMO was Ragnarok Online, in that I installed it and the University network blocked me from logging in.

Then I tried ROSE Online, and played it for about... 3 days. It was okay.

Then I got into the beta of WoW and have played it pretty much ever since. I tried out most of the "WoW-killers" - Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2 - but rarely played any beyond the first month and in the case of TESO, not even past beta. Wildstar I'm still on the fence about too.

The only other ones I've played for any substantial period of time are: FFXIV: ARR, which is basically just a prettier, but slightly less polished FF version of WoW - even then, I think if it wasn't for the Fat Chocobos LS, I probably would've dropped XIV a long time ago.

The other one I still play is The Secret World - I bought a life time sub for that near launch, because despite all it's flaws (and there's a lot of them), the game has a really deep and interesting overarching mythos and storyline and it's great the way they extend this out of the game with things like ARGs etc.

Although I'm pretty bored of WoW these days too.

Blog Entries

I played some small independent one years ago and I cant remember what its called. Then I played WoW.....for 8 years? Probably closer to 6 years actually because I'd quit and come back. I quit permanently over a year ago and I have no plans to go back. If I were to get into an MMO, I'd probably try FF XIV, but without good hardware to play it on that probably wont happen either

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

To be fair, most MMOs can be good if you have a good group of people to play with. I've been addicted to wow, I've played it in moderation, and I've had times where I didn't log in for a few months. I enjoyed some other MMOs, but I never got really into them because I didn't have the support group of in-game friends that makes playing them so much better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    To be fair, most MMOs can be good if you have a good group of people to play with. I've been addicted to wow, I've played it in moderation, and I've had times where I didn't log in for a few months. I enjoyed some other MMOs, but I never got really into them because I didn't have the support group of in-game friends that makes playing them so much better.
    Thats very true! The community is what will make an MMO the most fun. With that said, my absolute favorite times in WoW were from back in the early days of WoW with a lvl 60's raiding srs bznz guild. There are just too many good memories of vent to count Obviously 8 or 9 years later, the community isnt going to be the same. That's why I can't go back...

Blog Entries

Yes, I was so happy after 6 months of being gone from GW2 to find that most of my crew were still around. It's no fun if I can't yell YOLOSWAG at Tarnished Coast and Magumma with my friends!

YOLOSWAG... you only live once so... wave a gun?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

That sounds like it works

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wanted to play MMOs since I first watched my brother play EverQuest. My first MMO would be Guild Wars, which was free. After that I played a free trial of WoW and got hopelessly addicted until the free trial expired and I was too much of a cheapskate to pay for the subscription. Probably a good thing in hindsight.

After that I played City of Heroes (unless you count AVP2, but I don't) and had so much fun making different heroes and villains on that game and experimenting with powers. Then I had the small run on Final Fantasy XI at my cousins house. From there I wouldn't play an MMO again until Star Trek Online, Star Wars The Old Republic, DC Universe Online, and Champions Online. They were all great fun. I love the Star Trek and Star Wars MMO and my only gripes with DC is that you go through all the trouble of customizing your costume, only to equip armor that changes your costume. Oh and THEN they can update and boot you out of the server in the middle of a boss fight. How about a little heads up, guys? Jeez.

Overall, I'll enjoy an MMO for a while before eventually getting bored with it. The ones I really like I'll go back to on occasion, but not much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    My first MMO would be Guild Wars, which was free.
    Since all the WoW Fanboys used to yell this at me all day, I feel the need to do it to you GW1 isn't/wasn't a mmo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Only FFXI for me. I tried to start FFXIV a couple of times but could not get into it. Oh, I guess I played a few rounds of Diablo online back in the day, if that counts.

I prefer to play solo games. It was the gf that made got me into FFXI. We had a lot of fun too! But it's not something I need to find someplace else now that it's over.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

so XI is all done? as in no servers?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Why would you say that? Did you read somewhere that they were shutting down the servers?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post

I prefer to play solo games. It was the gf that made got me into FFXI. We had a lot of fun too! But it's not something I need to find someplace else now that it's over.
    So, I guess I could have been a little more clear, Del is the game just over for you or are they shutting down XI and that XIV is out and doing ok?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh I just meant for me. I'm pretty sure FFXI is still going strong someplace. As long as SE can make money from it, they'll keep it up.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The only MMO that I played for any decent length of time was Runescape. The fact that I could play as much or as little as I want without losing anything was really key to my continued interest.

Lord of the Rings Online kept me busy for a while, but it was really difficult to play on my laptop at the time and I just drifted away from it.

Final Fantasy XIV was great, but because of my schedule -- and because so many of the Fat Chocobos had already hit 50 during the first release -- I found it completely unappealing to run around doing trout tier quests on my own. o_O joined me for a few things, but he soon eclipsed me in level and I didn't want to bother him. A couple of my meatspace friends played for a week or so but then they disappeared and I was left running around on my own again

MMOs really, desperately, need to have a community spirit for me to be interested. I couldn't get into that with the Fat Chocobos and our EoFF guild in LOTRO didn't last long and was quite small and inconsistent, so that killed it for me. Runescape was good back in the day, with a couple of my school friends playing, but because of the focus on stats rather than quests, I found it way more engaging. Even mining smurfing coal for hours was more enjoyable than running around doing fetch quests.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.