Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The MMORPG Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The MMORPG Thread

What's been your experience with MMORPGs? What was your first and do you play any currently?

With so many contenders popping up, going free to play, then fading into irrelevance, do you think this genre has a future?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Ragnarok online.

Yes, of course it has a future. The market is just over saturated right now because those ceo dicks have noticed how much money you could earn.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've played EVE Online, Ragnarok Online, FFXI, FFXIV and FFXIV:ARR. Of those, only FFXIV (and ARR soon, probably) held me for over a year, although I did enjoy all of them to some extent... just sometimes not enough to justify a sub, and others not enough to not eventually get bored and want to play other games.

Other games are basically the reason I struggle to regularly play MMOs. I've found a balance lately where I play MMOs a little between other games, and whenever there is a big patch I play considerably more.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I played RO for about a month or so, created 10 characters over 2 accounts, half of them female (that way I could use all the hairstyles), all of whom I based on my Project EYeS lead characters. The game was okay. It didn't really hold my attention. My favorite thing about it was the fanart and I used much of it to inspire new stories, namely an RO fanfiction.

I've played multiple three variations of ORPG. Strictly text, window-oriented, and full-immersion. My tastes grant bias to the latter even over the better versions of window-oriented RPGs. I revile text-based RPs. If I wanted to play a game where I don't actually see anything happen graphics-wise, I would just join a forum-based RP. I don't know about you people, but I consider SWTOR an immersive RP and it was by far my favorite when I could afford the time to play it.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I've played too many MMOs to list, or even remember. Some have held my attention for a few months, some only for a few days. Right now I'm playing Rift, and when ArecheAge goes live (Or I get Alpha access) I'll be playing that too.

Blog Entries

My first real MMO was Everquest.

I've played WoW, FFXI, RO, FFXIV and a couple other smaller ones.

The only true MMO that I've ever really been into was Guild Wars 2 since GW 1 does count as a MMO apparently. But I've started playing GW2 again a bit.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Currently I don't play any MMOs. I've played Ultima Online and EverQuest. Also a very little of FFXIV. And even EverQuest was just a 6-8 month splurge of obsession before I quit. Ultima Online was the only one I played for over a year, when I was 12-14 or so. I also started playing again a bit later with some EoFFers (both on the new game, and just a couple of years ago on a free fan-made server). Old school UO remains one of my best gaming experiences.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Recently, Guild Wars 2 but it doesn't have enough content so I got bored. You can only do so many jump puzzles.

I'm back to WoW, but it's boring me too.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WoW was my first MMORPG, and I played that one for years. One of my cousins got me into it, and it was a way to keep in touch with her. I kind of feel bad for the guild I was in as I was pretty annoying. Eventually, my cousin and her husband stopped playing, and I lost interest about that time. I tried getting back with some friends after Cataclysm came out, but I just didn't like it as much.

Other than that, I played XIV: A Realm Reborn for one month and enjoyed it greatly. I really need to get back into it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I also started with Everquest and it ended up being an obsession for me. I remember in the summer when I was out of school I would play it until dawn and wake up at 4pm the next day to start it all over again. That experience made me skip WoW and Final Fantasy XI during their heydey, when all my friends were encouraging me that I would love them. I eventually did play WoW and thought it was a lot of fun. That Blizzard ethos is hard to deny.

I gave FFXIV PS4 beta a shot but Guild Wars 2 was the last one to really grab me. It stood out as a revolution in how MMOs are played, how a game should reward you and how to get people to naturally group together without even realizing it. Unfortunately the PvE content is dead. I rolled a new character a few weeks ago only to find it a barren wasteland. That was my favorite part of the game, exploring this beautiful world with dynamic events chaining you from one location to the next until, before you know it, you're in a massive group of people tackling a colossal undertaking.

The PvP and World vs. World were impressive and addicting but they were just the icing on the cake for me. I will probably look for a PvE server eventually buy I'm sad GW2 dropped off so hard because I really did think it was something special.

Blog Entries

not enough content, I had the entire map completed within 2 months, I have 3 level 80's and have hardly touched the game in 6 months. Like I said I've been jumping on a little, Took SMC last night with a few guildies who are still on FA. And my roommate has been in to SPvP a lot lately so I may go kick some ass in that. Although I heard a lot of PvE people are in SPvP right now so I dunno if I wanna bother just clubbing baby seals basically.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I played a great deal of World of Warcraft in the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King eras. I was a good hunter (yeah I know) and made a blog about how to play a hunter which ultimately wound up with like 1200 unique subscribers. Then I quit playing and the readers all disappeared.

I am not really a big MMO person despite all the time I spent in WoW. I really did enjoy my WoW time though.

Pike was the reason I played a hunter for a good majority of my WoW time. And I didn't even know it until much later!

I have played several MMOs but have never been able to get into them to the degree that I was into World of Warcraft. So I guess that was my favorite.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I started with FFXI in 2004. I couldn't really get into it but I tried to force it since it was FF. That only lasted a few months. I started wow in mid-2006 when it was still Vanilla. I played a warrior. Badly. It was fun but I wasn't much of an MMOer at the time so it was sporadic. Then in early 2007 Aracel and Chemical got me playing again as a mage. They didn't play for very long after that but I randomly kept up with it and got to where I could actually play my class alright in BC. Between moving around and a few military deployments I kinda abandoned the game until 2009. Freya got me playing again as a ret pally with some of her family. They didn't play much longer after that. (Was I cursed?) I didn't stop playing. I got good at it. I learned to raid well in ICC. I was godly in cata, ranking top ret pally on my server, especially in the Dragon Soul patches where I rarely found someone who could match my DPS. I also lead a second raid team as a mage through DS and occasionally tanked a third as a warrior. After DS in 5.1 I stopped playing my mage and warrior very much but kept up with my pally. That continued until around last October when 5.4 came out. A few of my core raid team stopped playing and I just didn't enjoy the patch enough to find new people. I haven't played much since then although last Saturday I did text a bunch of my old buddies and we logged on to mess around. It was a lot of fun. About mid-February earlier this year I started playing FFXIV. By the time my free trial was up I was geared with top token purchases and first-gen raid gear enough that I could get into end-game raiding content. I played for another week, until the day after 2.2 came out. I just didn't feel like grinding through raiding content to get better gear.

When Warlords of Draenor comes out I may start raiding in wow again, or I may not. I'll at least play it to level up some toons.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played FFXI for awhile and my GF made me grind for her in Ragnarok Online. While I have no issues with the mechanics of an MMO except that it often feels like the mechanics exist for the sake of themselves rather than achieving some overall goal, but I could apply that to most modern RPGs as well, I never could get into the social aspect of it. Waiting for people, relying on people, dealing with people who take the game too seriously or not enough, it just got incredibly aggravating and I don't have the patience. My other issue is that I never got far cause I could never fully commit to these games, in time it would take me to get anywhere with these games, I could have played five others and I already have a backlog of games yelling at me to catch up.

The friend who finally convinced me to play FFXI is now trying to get me to play XIV and while I feel the game looks very promising and fanservicy (which is what I wanted out of a FFMMO) I just keep thinking about all that time I don't have which would be needed to play that game.