Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review on Disney's Frozen

Default Review on Disney's Frozen

Behold the next Lion King ?

For a while Disney has had plans to try and bring Hans Christian Anderson's tale of the cold-hearted, wicked Snow Queen to the animated big screen. At times they have failed, and have desired to bring The Snow Queen movie to the cinema, though they pushed it aside, believing that it couldn't be done.

Bring on 2011- 2010 when they have plans to do Frozen, about troll prophecy about a icy- cold-hearted ruler and a never-ending winter and the two main sisters of the story Anna and Elsa.

Early in development Elsa was the main villian, as it would be following the story, however they changed things, believing that Elsa's character would be a more powerful character as somebody who is misunderstood and struggles, and then overcomes her struggles.

And it worked well for Disney, and for the movie, as Elsa became a strong character and Queen.

ugh, run away Kristoff. Run away.

The movie begins with a charismatic and charming opening number foreshadowing about Elsa, and the main villian of the movie. There's a frozen heart worth mining, but beware the frozen heart.

It's a nice and exciting beginning to the movie and it brings you right into the movie. However things begin to slip for the movie pretty fast.

Why ?

The Trolls. Usually in Norwegian legends, these are creepy and untrustworthy creatures that steal young blonde children. However within Frozen, they instead take care of the young orphan Kristoff.

Though, they are still dodgy and one of the worst characters that Disney has ever created, because they just throw bad and awful messages all over the place. Frozen tries hard, really hard, to break away from old cliches that Disney gets torn apart on, so instead they do something much worse.

The Trolls are supposed to help and aid the Arendelle royal family, and heal Anna's head injury, but instead they give out a traumatizing and scaring prediction to a young eight year old girl, that if she's not careful, people will fear and destroy her, and the Father, oh the Father, basically says right in front of them, that he plans to lock out Elsa, in her room, like a canary bird, and keep her apart from Anna, and they don't do a thing ?

Hey King Dad, that sounds like a awful and terrible idea, and is actually abusive. Stop ? No, instead they don't stop King Dad at all, and they let Elsa and Anna grow up separated. These are supposed to be breaking the cliche and be good guys, right ?

Wanna build a snoooooowmmmmmaaaaan ?

The next song, Do You Want To Build A Snowman is simple, yet, heartbreaking and effective. It's emotional and it works. You can see the two young girls grow up, apart from each other. Poor Anna trying her best to get through to each other, and bond with each other as sisters should be doing.

However Elsa is so traumatized and frighted by what the trolls showed her, and her by mistake sending ice to Anna's forehead knocking her out, she doesn't want to make the same mistake again. She doesn't want to hurt or harm Anna, because she loves her, and she cares about her sister.

At the same time, you also feel for Anna and her character, growing up blocked from Elsa, and her having no clue or idea why. Anna grows up basically isolated, alone and bored.

ANOTHER SONG RIGHT AWAY ?

The movie skips to three years later, and Elsa is about to become a Queen. However the movie wastes no time, into skipping into a average and not the greatest song ever created. It's pretty average, though it's pretty much a necessary evil, as it shows what harm and effect that Anna's awful childhood as caused to her.

Princess Anna is alone, and isolated, and she's desperate to be loved and adored. She believes that a Prince Charming can heal her emptiness and loneliness. However it could of been explained or said, told to the viewer without bursting into a song.

The movie has already had 3 main songs, with no huge breaks, and it can be annoying. There's no breath of air between the storytelling and songs.

* Play Darth Vader Empire music here *

Next the movie basically throws Mr Prince Charming onto us, and well to be honest Anna and Hans do have some chemistry together, however Anna's massive crush on Mr sideburns shows. And he knows it.
    They have a nice meeting together as he helps her up, after knocking her over with his horse.

Hans is nice, polite and shows Princely honor by bowing to her. It brings a few awkward laughs.

The next scene is Elsa's main coronation, she's now a main queen. However it's not too dull or necessary, you can smell, taste, feel, the awkwardness between the two main sisters, it's like they hardly know each other, and well, they don't, and the movie does a good job at showing this.

He's already loosing it

Oh wow, another song. And a love song right ? Well no. This song makes the movie worth watching again, and while lyrics within the song are a bit cheesy, there is subtle interesting hints that Prince Charming isn't so pure and innocent. It's my favorite song within the whole movie, and one of my favorite villian songs.

At first, by first viewing, it feels like a cliche and not out of place Disney love song. So this is the next Whole New World or Can You Feel The Love Tonight right ? Nope, it's the new To Be Prepared, but disguised as Can You Feel The Love Tonight.

You maybe be thinking what the smurf, but it suits the villian Hans and matches his character, because he too his something sinister in disguise.

Though I really think that I love and adore the visuals here. The robotic clock dancing, the sock sliding down the hallway, the wishing upon the stars together, the romantic flowers and dancing.

It's all very beautiful, though secretly dark at the same time.

Disney went fishing and they caught a big fish for that juicy Oscar

Next the story picks up pace as trout hits the fan, Elsa's powers are revealed as Anna and Hans beg for her to say yes, towards their quick marriage. She says no, as she's a sensible woman, and they have only met for like, a few hours.

However Anna pushes her, believing that Elsa wants her to be lonely and miserable, when in reality she only wants to protect her from harm and danger, and her powers are shown.

Elsa's big secret that she's keeping secret for so long is out.

People fear her and her powers, she is called a monster, and Anna chases after all. However she's scared, worried and afraid and flees to the Northern Mountain where she can't harm Anna or anybody else. If you haven't sorry for Elsa now, you will now.

Let It Go, is a nice song and it's inspirational, however it's never really worked for me personally. I really personally enjoyed the visuals again, of Elsa escaping from the kingdom, creating Olaf a important character later, and her beautiful and stunning ice castle.

I have heard that this song has helped those with social anxiety and depression, and that's nice.

Ice is my life

Anna heads off alone to find and to try and help her older sister, so she leaves Hans a total stranger in charge of the Kingdom. Hans does offer to help her, but as soon as she drops leadership roles on him, he quickly changes his mind. Hmm. Suspicious.

Anna shaken and cold, bumps into Kristoff the main lead of the movie. Unlike Anna and Hans, they don't get along at all, and it's extremely awkward and uncomfortable. While Anna and Hans had chemistry from the beginning, Anna and Kristoff have nothing.

Anna just wants her sister back, and Kristoff just wants to be alone. However Anna forces Kristoff into helping out her find Elsa, there is a song here, but it's quick, and not too important.

Just a sad quick attempt to try and give Kristoff some character, and it fails. Instead of giving him a proper and decent song, they instead give him a joke song, while gives hints about Kristoff's feelings on life, that Reindeer's are better than people, it's not much.

The next few moments are just Kristoff ripping Anna's naivety apart for her quick marriage plans to Hans. Disney clearly did this on purpose to show they no longer agree with quick marriages. Though it's so not subtle, in fact it's right in front of your face. What happened to the subtle ?

There is a exciting wolf chase, and Anna tries to show that she's not a weak or feeble Princess, and they are able to escape, without being wolf dinner. However what Kristoff says next, worries me.

Kristoff ( Sven voice )- She'll die alone

Kristoff- I can live with that

Kristoff- ( Sven voice ) But you won't get a new sled if she dies

Kristoff- I really don't like you sometimes

Wh-what- what- what- whataaat ? Isn't Hans supposed to be the villian in disguise here ? What the smurf Disney, that's just, what ?

Anna doesn't here this either, which concerns me even more. She had no idea that Kristoff couldn't be smurfed if she died from coldness, got eaten by wolfs or whatever and only tagged along for a new sled originally.

Next comes in Olaf, which makes up for what is going on, he's warm, funny, friendly, kind-hearted, and his song In Summer is pretty random and hilarious. Again it matches his character. Kristoff wants to tell Olaf that he's going to melt if he ever faces Summer, which Anna and him plan to bring back, however it's not really all that genuine until the end of the song as he wants to tell for the laughs. However good old Anna shuts him up.

Kristoff at the end of the song shows a real desire to tell Olaf that his ambition is dangerous, so I guess Kristoff isn't a huge douche after all.

Villain VS Villain time

The movie takes you back to Arendelle with Hans passing out cloaks and warm food, and making sure that he's getting people's love and praise. However the side villian the Duke, refuses to believe that Hans is doing a good job, causing Hans to snap. It's a interesting villian face-off, really.

Anna's horse comes back, as Hans calms it down, which is interesting, and the Duke whispers plans to his henchmen to "remove " Queen Elsa. The music has a rather creepy tune here, as the camera faces the Duke, and then heads back to Anna and Kristoff, giving you a sense of warning and danger, and making you believe that Hans is innocent and Duke is the lead villian.

Anna's plans to try and bring back Elsa back home fail as she pushes Elsa even more further to her limits, and Elsa strikes a ice-y spell to Anna's heart. Elsa is at breaking point, and sends her sister away and Kristoff with a giant snowman.

Kristoff shows quick changes here, as he helps Anna and make sure that she's alright. I would be like, Kristoff is just that douche that warms and changes into a better person, but Hans does this alot. Though I'm easier on Kristoff, because he really proves later that he does care about Anna. Though it just feels like bad-writing, either that or I have been traumatized and haven't realized it yet.

DUMP THE FIANCE GO WITH NEW MAN INSTEAD, IT'S OKAY HUN

Here comes to worst part of the movie. Hang on, I need to get a drink. Hm, no still doesn't do anything.

Anna and Kristoff's love song, is a smurfing Fixer Upper song. Disney is like " oooh noo quick marriages are bad and awful and we are good people now " but then they smurfing ruin it with this.

Kids, listen. Do not date a fixer- upper, because he can never be fixed, and fixer uppers are dangerous people, that can later screw you over. This is what smurfs me over with this movie. The nice guy, who gives out warm blankets and food, and shows care for Anna and chemistry is the sicko, and the fixer upper, WHO ORIGINALLY COULDN'T CARE LESS WHETHER ANNA LIVED OR DIED, is the boyfriend.

The trolls suggest that Hans should be pushed out of the way, and date our most likely stolen son instead. Unless the trolls have been stalking Hans, they have no smurfing idea of his plans, and it's just a bad awful message and extremely rude. Little kids are going to grow up with this, thinking that the Fixer Upper man is the man to go for and nice guy, is going to murder your smurfing family.

Nice job, Disney, nice job.

Not to mention that the trolls push Anna and Kristoff into oh, a quick wedding ! So this quick wedding is okay ? I don't understand. The movie was doing so well to teach children that quick weddings are awful.

You mean, nobody loves you Hans, you are a bit confused there son

The trolls actually give good advice for once and mention that Anna can be cured by true loves kiss, so it's back to Hans. However Hans is busy playing Game Of Thrones with Elsa, and has just tried to squash her like a pancake with her icy castle chandelier. When watching the movie the first time, you believe that Hans is just playing the hero role, the main male role, however he just have a savior complex.

Hans fails to take out Elsa, so he locks her in chains. I have no idea how he does this, being a upper class rich boy who loves sandwiches but he somehow manages too. I guess for prince lessons in the Southern Isles, it's sword-fencing, waltzing, manners, and chains designs. Damn, Prince Eric from Little Mermaid really missed out.

Anna comes back frozen and cold, and Kristoff realizes that he has to give her up to Hans, leaving to a emotional moment, but Kristoff knew from the beginning that she already had a lover ? Why did he let himself fall in love and so quickly ? I guess emotions cannot be helped, but you would think that you could control a crush on a girl that you have just met, just a little more strongly son ??

What happens next is what has broken the hearts of fangirls everywhere, boo-hoo. This is what made me love Hans, and his whole character and his villainy.

Instead of giving Anna the old typical true loves kiss, he instead in the most assface way possible, tells her that nobody loves her, and that he was just using her to get to the throne and he's gonna lock her in so she can freeze to death.

ouch

However it breaks a stereotype and a cliche of the Prince Charming and it's pretty damn evil. Disney villains are usually pretty dark and disturbing they have more fantasy and imagination put into them. Hans just feels more human and more real, and it's really disturbing and nightmare-fuelish for a movie aimed at 4- 7 year old girls who are going to dress in pretty Elsa and Anna outfits. It's just, wow.

However I still like and enjoy Hans as a character personally, due to him not growing up in a healthy home environment and he was abused and mistreated by a army of 12 brothers. Not growing up within a healthy home, and getting mentally abused by older brothers, I can relate.

I don't know what hurts more, Anna getting hurt and getting left to freeze to death, or a character that you would of understood and would of tried to befriend and hang out with, become a total monster.

Also Frozen is very family is love, kind and caring and will always be there for you. Hans shows that they always won't be, but instead of making him a interesting and complexed character that could of shown that toxic families are no good, and get the hell out of there children, instead they just drop the villian plotwist and label on him.

smurf you Disney.

True love thaws

The ending is pretty epic and well done I must say. It's pretty fast and exicting and has plenty of twists and turns, leaving you to guess what happens and occurs next and whether if Anna and Elsa are going to make it.

Throughout the review I have been harsh on Kristoff, however he completely makes up for everything he's done throughout the movie, and completely gives up everything, he even almost looses his best friend Sven's life, to make sure that Anna is alive and okay. Kristoff doesn't even know if Hans is a jerk. He just loves her so much, and wants to know if she is okay.

What a sweetie.

Of course it's a happy ending, Hans is stopped before he can behead Elsa, and is sent back home, most likely to be hanged or beheaded. There is a light punch from Anna, and it's awesome to see her stand up for herself and punch the bastard off the boat.

Elsa and Anna are now connected and Anna and Kristoff kiss, beginning a slow and new relationship.

It's a nice movie, though not without it's flaws. However I feel like, it's hugely overated.

7 .5 / 10

* How did I do for my first movie review, any tips ?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a bad review. Here's mine.

Tangled was better. 8/10. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post

Hmm Tangled was a 7/ 10 for me

I hated the Dreamworks " Best day EVA " Talk

And " Here comes the smolder "

Like, does the thing the ginger cat does in Shrek 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post

Quoted for truth.

PS: Don't take my post seriously. Still I personally think it really is not as good as Tangled.

Blog Entries

Personally I don't agree with your opinion on a lot of things.

1. The Troll king healed Anna's head injury but you say that he also turned on Elsa and told her that her powers are dangerous. Yes, this is true, but the entire reason that they came to see the trolls is because of Elsa's lack of control. The Troll King was telling her that she needed to control her powers, which seemed to be the practical thing to do. A child with a great power is oen of the most dangerous things and for the King, locking Elsa away also seemed like the right thing to do for the protection of his family and his people as well as Elsa. Hiding her gift from Anna wasn't quite necessary but it made sure that she wasn't afraid of her older sister. What would you have done in the situation? Killed Elsa? Told everyone that she had magical powers so that people would fear her? I'd actually love to hear your explanation of what you would do if you were her father.

2. I don't think "Love Is An Open Door" is a villainous song at all. It was Hans trying to convince Anna that they really are in love. Maybe he does like her a lot but the song isn't foreshadowing or menacing at all, and it's actually my least favorite.

3. You failed to mention one of the cliches that are rampant in Disney movies: marrying someone that you've just met. I like that Disney turns away from this because it's just what they are expected to do with their stories. This movie is about showing the power of love in a different form, that love of a family can be just as true as a love with a mate.

4. Anna heads off alone to find her sister because I'm sure she's thought through what might happened and considers the fact Elsa is afraid and may hurt somebody if she thinks she's going to be forced back to the kingdom. Put yourself in Elsa's shoes. You've just revealed your powers over ice and the cold, and after running away your sister comes after you with a group of men. What are you going to think?
    Also, it was sort of an idiot move for Anna to leave Hans in charge but she truly believed they were in love at this point. You have to remember that. She's naive and young and dumb, and she thinks that Hans will take care of everything for her. He does do a good job taking care of the people while she's gone and he even goes after her when Anna's horse comes back to Arendelle riderless. I'm sure he's assuming he will find her in the snow somewhere but regardless, he still plays the part of Prince Charming throughout the entire movie. There's nothing sinister about him until the end.

5. I don't think it's true that Kristoff and Anna have no chemistry. Maybe they have none romantically but their conversations flow fairly well and it's obvious that they have potential to be friends. The best of friends don't agree all the time and I think that's what makes them best friends because they know they don't share opinions on everything but still accept each other for who they are.

6. Kristoff's song about reindeer isn't supposed to be a main song. It's just him playing a mandolin and singing to Sven. That's all. I think it does show a lot of his character. First off, in listening to the song, one understands that Kristoff does not trust people. He thinks they're all selfish and only are out to serve themselves (like Hans, unbeknownst to the audience yet). But the second part of it subtly suggests that Kristoff does long to know people but I don't think he knows a way of interacting without without being social awkward. I mean, the audience doesn't know it yet but the kid was raised by trolls. How normal can you be in that situation? He even talks to his reindeer, which leads me into the other part of this section. His "conversation" with Sven about Anna dying in the woods? We all know that Kristoff wasn't going to let her go off alone to die in the woods. Sven is his moral compass in his mind and guides him in the right direction. It was his way of giving himself a logical reason to follow her. Also, the whole conversation about Kristoff antagonizing Anna about her quick marriage with Hans? That wasn't supposed to be subtle at all, obviously. When did Disney say they were being subtle about going against cliches? In all honesty, I think that it sounds like you just wanted to write about all the negative things of this movie and then you gave it a 7.5/10? From the way you describe it, it sounds like you should have given it a 2/10. I don't think you mentioned one good thing about it except that you liked Hans.

7. Personally I think the "In Summer" song was completely unnecessary. It did nothing for the movie and was basically a waste of time. I usually skip over it when I watch the movie because someone can do that and still understand the storyline without missing anything.

8. Seriously? The "Fixer Upper" song is a misunderstand on the trolls' part. They think that Kristoff has brought her to them because he wants to marry her and when he mentions she's engaged to someone else, they think it's a quick fix to just marry them outright right there. They think they are helping when it's obvious they're not. Kristoff and Anna quickly stomp this small flame of hope out for them when they inform the trolls that they are only there to see what can be done about Anna's condition.
    Also? Your opinion on the "fixer-uppers" being dangerous? It sort of made me laugh. EVERYBODY is a fixer-upper, whether they want to admit it or not. We all have flaws that we need to continuously work on and better ourselves. Kristoff is a fixer-upper. Anna is a fixer-upper. You're a fixer-upper. I'm a fixer-upper. I like that the movie shows that people use "true love" as a weapon to get what they want via Hans. Also, it's true that Kristoff doesn't much like people but he wasn't going to let Anna die. Throughout the movie this becomes apparent because of what kind of person he is.
    One thing that I liked about what you said is: "Little kids are going to grow up with this, thinking that the Fixer Upper man is the man to go for and nice guy, is going to murder your smurfing family." Sadly, this is actually what happens a lot in real life. The "fixer-upper" man is actually the guy to go for. Usually nice guys that you don't know are out to murder your "smurfing" family. Take Ted Bundy for example. He was handsome, suave and he seemed genuinely nice when women first met him and became interested in him. Do I need to say more?

9. "The trolls actually give good advice for once and mention that Anna can be cured by true loves kiss". Wrong. The grandfather troll says that an act of true love will break the curse and Anna assumes that he is talking about the love of a man. Back to the part where Disney is trying to show that family love is just as true as the love between a couple.

10. "Anna comes back frozen and cold, and Kristoff realizes that he has to give her up to Hans, leaving to a emotional moment, but Kristoff knew from the beginning that she already had a lover ? Why did he let himself fall in love and so quickly ? I guess emotions cannot be helped, but you would think that you could control a crush on a girl that you have just met, just a little more strongly son ??" Let's see...This guy has just gone on an adventure with this woman, risked his life to save her butt, she's saved his and you don't think there might be some chemistry there. Their feelings for each other were earned through their trials and eventual trust within each other.

11. I don't think it's disturbing at all that Hans is the real villain. Personally I think that regardless of the Fantasy elements, Frozen is the most "real" story that Disney gets. The characters actually seem like they are real people because that's how they would act. Anna isn't a lovely princess with flowing gowns and batting eyelashes. She's a complete dork, just like me, and I relate with her easily. She slips and trips and stuffs chocolate in her face. It's true originally Kristoff's intentions are just to serve himself but eventually he comes to like Anna. Elsa is just frightened of an uncontrollable power that she has. She's not some raging snow queen biotch that just wants to kill everyone because of their normal lives, like any other Disney "villain" would be.

Personally I think you focused a LOT on the negative parts of Frozen, even though you gave it a fairly high rating. I would suggest talking about the positive things more often.

Still rowing...

This thread should be marked *spoiler alert*

I think when you mentioned being traumatized, you may have meant "ruined for real stories by the Flanderized Disney garbage". In past Disney films, we'd have the villain literally shoved down our throats. We know who they are. Because they monologue or have a talking pet to gab with, we know their plans. They're ugly or wear dark colors and they're easily stirred to anger. This cliché was broken with Hans who manages to keep his schemes a secret like any decent villain should. The Duke of Weselton isn't a villain or sub-villain. He's just a sniveling weasel. Like "the Jerkass is worse than the villain" we're made to think he's a bad guy.

The "fixer-upper" song is not meant to imply anything about a "Draco in Leather Pants" with so many girls swooning "he's an abusive asshole, but I can change him." Abusers are not considered fixer-uppers. They're considered to be people who can't be changed. Fixer-uppers in themselves are not horrible people. I'm a fixer-upper. I've had four girlfriends who have had to work to change things about me they found boring, annoying, or just far too naïve. My last girlfriend hoped changing how I eat and treat my body would ensure I wouldn't die at 30.

While I think this was actually a better movie than Tangled, I will acquiesce that it could have been better. But that's something I feel toward all movies and not even Disney in particular. I wonder how Aladdin would have played out if Jafar wasn't treated in the stereotypical villain sense. If he had no parrot and no monologues and we were never shown the inbetweens in which he hypnotized the sultan or ordered Aladdin's capture or his involvement with the Cave of Wonders.

Disney movies are like watching Columbo. You know who did it.
    Last edited by Mercen-X; 05-05-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

So, I was watching this:

And I only just realised today that Let It Go features a line that has the words Frozen Fractals in it. This literally makes it awesome to me. I'm sure the only other person to appreciate this will be Pike. xD

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

You know I agree with you maybee that there are so many things wrong with this movie. The Fixer Upper song was painful to watch. A lot of people who I have seen argue in favour of that particular scene, saying it's obvious that the trolls misunderstood or whatever, are having to dig deep in order to prove that. Kids watching this movie are not going to analyse it like that; they are going to accept it on face value and sing the words around their houses.

You can fix this fixer-upper
    Up with a little bit of love!
    Kristoff: ENOUGH! She is engaged to someone else, okay?!
    Cliff: So she's a bit of a fixer-upper,
    Male Troll 4: That's a minor thing.
    Male Troll 5: Her quote 'engagement' is a flex arrangement.
    Troll Child: And by the way I don't see no ring!
    People make bad choices if they're mad,
    Or scared, or stressed.
    Throw a little love their way.
    And you'll bring out their best.
    None of those messages are positive on face value.

I also agree with you maybee that earlier they were so against a quick marriage, and that's an awesome message given how quickly everyone generally gets married in Disney movies, but then suddenly they are promoting it as being a fantastic idea again with a peppy song.

I have many other issues with the movie, but I will focus on these because I don't want to get too deeply into it. My favourite part of the whole movie was that song between Kristoff and Sven though, with Kristoff playing both parts. I have a bit of a soft spot for Jonathan Groff. Also for Idina Menzel. That's actually one of the reasons I'm sad that this movie fell flat for me.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, the whole "Disney is laughing in the face of their previous quick marriages trope!" is completely undermined by the fact that Kristoff and Ana fall in love in a few days time. Maybe instead of kissing her he could've asked her out on a date to show--hey! It's okay to take things one step at a time. You guys went from disliking each other, to being friends, to having a crush.

Also, I know it's sisterly love verses mother-daughter love, but Disney did the "family love is true love too" much better with Brave, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I agree on both counts Jinx.

Way to go from "I don't mind if she dies, but I want a sled" to loving her in a matter of a few days. I'd love to see more kids movies end with "Would you like to go out for dinner?" instead of love and kisses and happily ever afters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Apart from the high frequency of the songs, this seems to be the most common complaint I see about the movie. That they do such a good job turning away from a lot of their previous tropes only to fall right back on them before the movie ends. And if you point this fact out to the fanbase you better be equipped with a sword and a shield. But that's only if you're e-famous.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

As a thespian, I wasn't personally all that bothered by the frequency of songs. They tried to make this movie a lot more like a musical than some of their others, potentially because they had the incredible musical theatre performer Idina Menzel as an asset on their cast, and Jonathan who is seasoned musical theatre performer as well. Knowing these were two of the actors before I saw the movie meant that I approached it as a movie-musical and thus wasn't at all surprised; perhaps I would have felt differently if I went into it blind.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    1. The Troll king healed Anna's head injury but you say that he also turned on Elsa and told her that her powers are dangerous. Yes, this is true, but the entire reason that they came to see the trolls is because of Elsa's lack of control. The Troll King was telling her that she needed to control her powers, which seemed to be the practical thing to do. A child with a great power is oen of the most dangerous things and for the King, locking Elsa away also seemed like the right thing to do for the protection of his family and his people as well as Elsa. Hiding her gift from Anna wasn't quite necessary but it made sure that she wasn't afraid of her older sister. What would you have done in the situation? Killed Elsa? Told everyone that she had magical powers so that people would fear her? I'd actually love to hear your explanation of what you would do if you were her father.
    Elsa's fear is what causes her powers to activate without her intent. Perhaps, I don't know, parenting your child would go a long way to making sure she doesn't blast anyone in the face with ice magic. Teach her how to be calm and test her to see what causes it to happen so that she can control it. You don't need to tell the whole world your kid is a witch; take her out back in a secret place. What's the difference between locking her in her room forever and locking her in her room until she gains control of her power at which point she can have a real childhood and you don't emotionally stunt two sisters and estrange them from each other.

3. You failed to mention one of the cliches that are rampant in Disney movies: marrying someone that you've just met. I like that Disney turns away from this because it's just what they are expected to do with their stories. This movie is about showing the power of love in a different form, that love of a family can be just as true as a love with a mate.
    Not marrying Hans is nice. Falling for the other guy is less of a break away from stereotypes. The story is supposed to be about familial bonds, so shoehorning Kristoff-Anna together seems pointless. It's nice that this is subverted in the kiss, but the mention of True Love's Kiss and Anna going "oh snap does Kristoff like me? well I better kiss him" undermines the whole bit where we ask: Does Anna actually have romantic feelings towards him, or is she just happy to take anyone who is interested in her? Because 2 from 2 is a pretty dodgy track record.

4. Anna heads off alone to find her sister because I'm sure she's thought through what might happened and considers the fact Elsa is afraid and may hurt somebody if she thinks she's going to be forced back to the kingdom. Put yourself in Elsa's shoes. You've just revealed your powers over ice and the cold, and after running away your sister comes after you with a group of men. What are you going to think?
    Does a snowman, a reindeer, and one ice cutter count as a "group of men"? Elsa lets her fear and protective streak get the better of her and wants Anna to leave. She is too pig-headed to actually listen to the argument that, um, the whole of everywhere is smurfed over by your eternal winter (ps how did anyone know it was eternal, it had been like 3 days tops by the end). I understand that she wanted to be free and I wholly support that goal, but maybe not being a complete bitch to the only family you have left would be nice. She was actually important to you, and she, y'know, will die if you freak out and shoot her with ice ma-- oh, oh you just did that. Good one, Elsa.

Also, it was sort of an idiot move for Anna to leave Hans in charge but she truly believed they were in love at this point. You have to remember that. She's naive and young and dumb, and she thinks that Hans will take care of everything for her. He does do a good job taking care of the people while she's gone and he even goes after her when Anna's horse comes back to Arendelle riderless. I'm sure he's assuming he will find her in the snow somewhere but regardless, he still plays the part of Prince Charming throughout the entire movie. There's nothing sinister about him until the end.
    Hans is great. His motivations are horrific but he plays the nice guy really well. I can't fault Anna for trusting him because she is a moron.

5. I don't think it's true that Kristoff and Anna have no chemistry. Maybe they have none romantically but their conversations flow fairly well and it's obvious that they have potential to be friends. The best of friends don't agree all the time and I think that's what makes them best friends because they know they don't share opinions on everything but still accept each other for who they are.
    They learn how to get along pretty well over two days but, um, yeah, that's not exactly the best conditions to start a relationship, especially when you have bigger fish to fry, and that Anna has literally fallen in love with the only two men she has met since she was a child.

In all honesty, I think that it sounds like you just wanted to write about all the negative things of this movie and then you gave it a 7.5/10? From the way you describe it, it sounds like you should have given it a 2/10. I don't think you mentioned one good thing about it except that you liked Hans.
    Perfectly valid. Plenty of other people have published what they liked about it. Perhaps maybee was particularly unpleased with the rabid fans who overlooked some really dodgy qualities. Frozen was a good movie. It has some horrific lessons. I'd give it a 7ish out of 10. You will not hear me say any nice things about it apart from "the animation was magnificent" because I am more passionate about the bad things being overlooked.

8. Seriously? The "Fixer Upper" song is a misunderstand on the trolls' part. They think that Kristoff has brought her to them because he wants to marry her and when he mentions she's engaged to someone else, they think it's a quick fix to just marry them outright right there. They think they are helping when it's obvious they're not. Kristoff and Anna quickly stomp this small flame of hope out for them when they inform the trolls that they are only there to see what can be done about Anna's condition.
    Marriage is not a "solution" for another betrothal. This teaches children that if they can steal somebody's love then they should. Can you imagine a generation of girls who backstab each other to win boys? Far out. The fact that this is a musical jingle makes it problematic.

Also? Your opinion on the "fixer-uppers" being dangerous? It sort of made me laugh. EVERYBODY is a fixer-upper, whether they want to admit it or not. We all have flaws that we need to continuously work on and better ourselves. Kristoff is a fixer-upper. Anna is a fixer-upper. You're a fixer-upper. I'm a fixer-upper. I like that the movie shows that people use "true love" as a weapon to get what they want via Hans. Also, it's true that Kristoff doesn't much like people but he wasn't going to let Anna die. Throughout the movie this becomes apparent because of what kind of person he is.
    One thing that I liked about what you said is: "Little kids are going to grow up with this, thinking that the Fixer Upper man is the man to go for and nice guy, is going to murder your smurfing family." Sadly, this is actually what happens a lot in real life. The "fixer-upper" man is actually the guy to go for. Usually nice guys that you don't know are out to murder your "smurfing" family. Take Ted Bundy for example. He was handsome, suave and he seemed genuinely nice when women first met him and became interested in him. Do I need to say more?
    This is personal opinion and not a universal definition for the term fixer-upper. If a guy beats you, just show him love: he's a fixer-upper and loving him will help him! If a girl is clingy and doesn't let you see your friends, stick with her anyway: a little love can change the world! There are some really terrible applications of this mindset that people will encounter frequently in their lives. I don't think anyone who argues against this song is a proponent of the idea that you should toss aside anyone who is any work. But if you are not happy, don't stay in a smurfing relationship under the false guise that it will get better. I have seen this numerous times and I have been a part of this. It nearly killed me but I tell you what I loved my little heart out. Didn't change a damn thing.

There are plenty of negative things in Frozen that aren't highlighted nearly enough. Disney has a multitude of problems generally but you will rarely hear anyone say anything bad about them except that potentially there is a chance that Walt Disney was maybe potentially possible anti-Semitic. Maybe. It's very likely to be untrue. But that's the only bad thing I ever hear about anything Disney. Oh. Also that Disney World sucks and Disney Land is better. Critical discourse is important.
    Last edited by Jiro; 05-06-2014 at 01:46 PM.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

I think he came up with the sled thing because he wanted to act macho and didnt want to admit to himself that he cared. Or to his moose.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I really wish I wasn't at work and could type out a much longer reply to this, but I'll have to leave it at this.

While a lot of the criticisms I see raised about Frozen, and Disney tropes in general, are certainly valid. The one thing I always find myself asking myself is, are people really insinuating in their criticisms, that children have no power for critical thought? It's not like the only media they are consuming is Disney movies.

Heck, I was brought up on Disney movies, I'm going to be 28 this year and I'm a) single, b) not interested in marriage and c) don't really care much for relationships, and never really have. Following the logic that Disney movies "teach" kids things, I would probably have thrown my virginity onto someone as soon as I turned 14 and be married with 8 kids by now.

Disney films by their very nature are often over-romanticized versions of life. Most kids above 5 are very much aware of the fact that a) it isn't real and b) not to literally apply the message. Sure children may be more impressionable, they aren't however, passive sponges that will just accept everything at face value.

If people are really relying on Disney movies to teach their children the way of life and build their child's core values, then well, the fault isn't really with Disney.