Thread: Let's Play Chrono Trigger

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

All the more reason to play it later on after I finish it!

What does New Game+ entail in this game? Do you keep all abilities and your level and stuff?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Technically it should be impossible to get all but four of them at this point and even then they are basically just two endings with a variation to them depending on how you reach Lavos by either fighting through the Black Omen, traveling to 1999 A.D. through the bucket at the End of Time, or using the Epoch to reach him in 1999. The other variation I'll elaborate on when you get a bit farther in.

New Game+ allows you to keep all your equipment and items, all the techs you learned and your levels. The game also introduces a new gate to fight Lavos that is accessible from the beginning of the game to help you get the various endings.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Also I totally found purple cat

Attachment 54760
    This is entirely the correct reaction.

Anyway, on to the timey-wimey ball. Magus/Janus has been thrown through time portals twice. The first time, he was thrown from the Dark Ages forward to the Middle Ages, where he become ruler of the fiends through his incredible awesome magic power and long flowing hair. Then, after his fight with Lavos, he gets tossed back to the Dark Ages, where he's there as the Prophet.

Child Janus should no longer be visible in this time period. He went back to 600 AD, and isn't in the Dark Ages anymore. If you see him while you're there exploring after that stuff has happened... Then something has gone wrong with your game.

In terms of actual, intended game "main plot", you only have a couple of dungeons left. But there are about to be a bunch of sidequests that open up that will give you a ton of extra game time.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-17-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I bring Jamanus to see kitty and kitty follows me around and hops excitedly

Attachment 54782

Then I head back to the Epoch

Attachment 54783Attachment 54784

Apparently because of that thing

Attachment 54785

Then I see some scenes from the other worlds of them being affected or whatever.

Anyways, then I begin my time travel sidequest quest. Thing is, I'm scared to check out most of it because I don't want to accidentally trigger moving on with the game. So I looked up a list of sidequests without looking at how to complete them to see how well I can do on my own.

Today we are doing #1, Fiona something something!

I remember her from 600 AD because there was never anything going on. But now, she is missing tress all around her house, her husband has returned, and she wants to plant a seedling but can't because apparently monsters.

Then I go all over the world map looking for what her husband is talking about, only to find it about 3 feet away from her house.

Attachment 54786
    (Manus looks like he's strutting down a catwalk in this pic)

Which of course means boss fight

Attachment 54787

An annoyingly long one. And I swear that they can tell Magus is at like half of my level because he took a good 80% of the hits.

Attachment 54788

Attachment 54789

I switch around my characters to try them out after thinking for about 20 minutes on if I have to go find someone. Then I switch to Freddy (okay he was the first one I switched to) and ta da

Attachment 54790

So hearing the "centuries on end" I head to the future to find Freddy. Luckily, its the first future I try

Attachment 54791

(Also, Magus is totally standing right there)

Attachment 54792

F... Freddy?

Attachment 54793

Oh thank goodness. I was seriously scared I had done something wrong and lost Freddy forever

Attachment 54794

So turns out the nuns are totally cool with us removing Freddy and then we go camping!

Attachment 54795Attachment 54796Attachment 54797

Interesting conversation. I wonder who it is?

Anyways so, they start wondering if someone is maybe making us witness these events for a reason. Marle then asks Lucca if there's any moment she might want to relive and Lucca gets uncomfortable.

So everyone passes out and Lucca wakes up and doesn't molest her friends but instead goes for a walk.

And finds a gate

And ends up here

Attachment 54798

We see a note on the floor from Lucca presumably who is upset about her dad and all of his science stuff, which is odd coming from Lucca.

Then I leave the room and find her mother getting herself caught in a conveyor belt.

Attachment 54799

At first I thought she was calling to me and was wondering why she didn't say anything is she saw me, but then I realized that the little girl is past Lucca and not like, Lucca's little sister or something.

So good thing I saved because it took me 6 friggin tries to save her mother. If I fail (which I did, many times) her mother's legs are broken and Lucca takes an interest in science to avoid something like that happening again. If I am successful... well basically the same thing but with no broken legs.

Then I head back through the portal and meet Freddy

0485.png

Aww thank you Freddy

And that's all for today!

I hope the sidequests continue to give me some backstory!

Yeah, the Guru's are kind of an odd bit of writing in Chrono Trigger. None of them were their to get sucked into the Timegate when Lavos woke up due to The Prophets meddling, so it's somewhat of a mystery how they are still found every where else in time.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sure Magus had them removed by timegate just to keep some of the events going the same and also because he didn't want them meddling in his revenge.

But Melchior was still there up until that point, he handed you the Red Knife just before Ocean Palace. And yet after Ocean Palace? Gone.

We don't really get to see why he is no longer in that time period, since he was no longer sucked up by Time Gate at Lavos's awakening. And Magus clearly has no control over the time gates, nor an ability to predict where they will send you.

Lavos didn't cause the Gates, though. The Entity did. Maybe it wanted to make sure that the Gurus wound up where they were needed.

Also, shion, you need to go visit Lucca's mom now that you saved her from losing her legs.

I also now think that the smiley should be renamed :shion kitty:
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-18-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I also now think that the smiley should be renamed :shion kitty:
    I am for this

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    But Melchior was still there up until that point, he handed you the Red Knife just before Ocean Palace. And yet after Ocean Palace? Gone.

We don't really get to see why he is no longer in that time period, since he was no longer sucked up by Time Gate at Lavos's awakening. And Magus clearly has no control over the time gates, nor an ability to predict where they will send you.
    I remember reading some theories on it on Chrono Compendium. Two seem to explain this - Time Traveler's Immunity and Time Bastard. The first one says that the holder of the Gate Key is immune to the changes brought on by time travel, possibly extending it to those that are important to his quest, which is why they are still in touch with the original timeline's Magus and Gurus. But with Time Bastard, things get grim - one timeline can only support one version of a person, so these tied to Time Traveler's Immunity get to stay because they're important, and the new timeline versions cease to exist. So the Janus and Gurus from the new timeline don't exist anymore, neither does the Lucca who knows of a childhood without seeing her mom lose her legs.

I mean, it's all just theories, but Chrono Cross kinda supports it with all the Time Devourer stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I head over to Lucca's house and meet her parents and her dad gives me some stuff.

0486.png

Yay not in a wheelchair

Anywas, sidequest 2 is called Ozzie something something, so I assume I need to head back to 600 AD AGAIN

Then I have to find Ozzie which takes a while.

But

0487.png

He looks so adorable

Attachment 54816

Look, 2 Freddy's! Can I keep them both?

I finally find Ozzie's hideout thing

Attachment 54817

He doesn't look happy to see me.

Anyways, Magus tries to say hi and Ozzie is not having it. So of course I can't just leave the man in peace and I follow him in to his home.

Attachment 54818

Also, apparently Flea isn't dead.

Attachment 54819

Magus: Excuse me?

And apparently Slash also isn't dead.

Attachment 54820

And some point he sends 2 monsters down after me but um

They fall off the conveyor belts and die.

Then Ozzie hides a treasure chest behind a blade to try and kill me (who even has this in their house?)

Attachment 54821

Not at the cost of my head I don't

Attachment 54822

Attachment 54823Attachment 54824

I feel a bit bad for Ozzie now

Then he does his whole ice shield thing so I hit the switch behind him and I fall.

So I come back and then

Attachment 54825

Then Ozzie dies (I assume)

Then I head back to the future to see what has happened and I find the monsters of Medina are no longer worshiping the rise of the monsters and they don't hate humans and things are super happy

Also this:

Attachment 54826

Tune in next time for more sidequesting!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually feel bad for Ozzie VIII. Couldn't he become nice and happy too? It's like right generations later, Ozzie's descendants have to repent for his sins

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I actually feel bad for Ozzie VIII. Couldn't he become nice and happy too? It's like right generations later, Ozzie's descendants have to repent for his sins
    Eh, it's like the reveal about Biff Tannen's family in Back to the Future III. Sometimes, just being a massive jerk is genetic.

The Epoch is cooler than the DeLorean, though.

Besides, Ozzie the VIII spent his whole life building off the status of his ancestor. That didn't change. He just now is building himself off the status of an ancestor who was killed by a kitty cat.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Eh, it's like the reveal about Biff Tannen's family in Back to the Future III. Sometimes, just being a massive jerk is genetic.

The Epoch is cooler than the DeLorean, though.

Besides, Ozzie the VIII spent his whole life building off the status of his ancestor. That didn't change. He just now is building himself off the status of an ancestor who was killed by a kitty cat.
    But I hated that too!

Being a jerk is so not genetic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay so the next sidequest is in future land and I cheated and looked up where it was because I hate future land and I don't want to be here any longer than necessary.

I kind of wish I had kept the guide up because my goodness this area was a pain in the butt to figure out

Attachment 54828Attachment 54829

So there's this robot who is not for some humans (racist)

Attachment 54830

She then tells me the planet would be much better off without humans and it hurts my feels

Then I find some humans on a conveyor belt (I think?) I only caught it out of the corner of my eye because my cat has bad timing for sticking hi butt in my face.

Attachment 54831Attachment 54832

To the Mother Brain!

After ridiculously long trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing

Attachment 54833

It's really hurtful when you say things like that, Mother Brain

So I continue on my way and meet Lady Freddy

Freddette, if you will.

Attachment 54834

Or that. Not as cool as Freddette, but whatever

Attachment 54835

P... pretend

Attachment 54836Attachment 54837

Attachment 54838

Attachment 54839Attachment 54840

See, I told you guys his name was Freddy

Attachment 54841

So then I fight Freddette mano-a-mano. Or robot-a-roboto?

And I win

Attachment 54842

Then she's talking about how she lost her memory and stuff

Attachment 54843

Lucca is so kind

Attachment 54844

Attachment 54845

So I continue on my way sadly with Fredette having died.

Her ribbon was so cute Her and Freddy could have made mini-Freddies. Fred Jr.'s

Attachment 548460519.png

This is really starting to hurt my feelings and I don't appreciate your tone

So I meet Mother Brain and she's pretty foxy.

More importantly, she wants to make Freddy all evil badbad but Freddy is better than that!

0520.png

And then we win and Freddy does some computer stuffs

0521.png

Poor Freddy. This was a sad sidequest.

Will the next one be happier? Tune in next time and find out!