Thread: Where do you rate this game/these games?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Where do you rate this game/these games?

How would you rank FF4 and The After Years compared to other Final Fantasy games? I know Kain has a lot of popularity but I'm interested in hearing how the game as a whole fares in your eyes.

I did feel that the game got somewhat tedious by the end of The After Years because you've been through the same dungeons SO many times, but other than that I really liked them a great deal! I appreciated that it's a continuation of the evolution of FF, in this case by adding a lot to the plot and focusing on individual characters far more than II did.

What do you guys think of FF4/TAY?

Meh. Bottom 3. Fun to play, but flawed.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I grew up with FFIV so it holds a special place in my heart and re-examining it for an article a while back, I came to appreciate it on a few more levels. While time has sort of sucked out most of the "Wow" factor of the game, I still feel it holds up really well as a game and as a character piece.

I have a love/hate relationship with TAY, on the one hand, I don't care for some of the game's story directions such as Kain becoming a Holy Dragoon kind of undermines the whole Cecil/father/Lunarian relationship thing going on, I also don't like trying to explain the crystals and the intro of the Creator. Mainly, I kind of dislike how the game's plot is sort of just the plot of FFIV with all of the casts kids involved.

On the other-hand, I felt the game does a great job of handling the cast of characters and I honestly liked everyone. Hell, I appreciated the fact the game didn't do what normally happens in these stories and make all the kids super badasses that surpass their parents despite the adults being veterans.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

IV is still up there as a great FF game. Never played the sequel.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Favorite game of all time. So...yeah...

:monster:

I'd consider it a flawed but nonetheless great title. I haven't completed enough of the series to know whether it belongs in the bottom half or top half, but on the other hand I have played more than half of the series and it's one of the ones that held my interest enough to get me to complete it, so there's that.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Yeah, I really enjoyed the after years, though I agree that the Creator thing was just kind of silly.