Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy's Top 5 Superbosses

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Final Fantasy's Top 5 Superbosses

For those who like the gameplay in the Final Fantasy games, superbosses are a great feature to have. Ideally, they test your skill and knowledge of the combat system to make you utilize your resources to their utmost potential. Some superbosses in the series have done a good job of this, others not so much. So let me present to you, the Top 5 Superbosses that I feel have done this very well.

OmegaWeapon.jpg

#5: Omega Weapon (Final Fantasy VIII)

From Final Fantasy VIII, we have Omega Weapon, the only enemy in the game that doesn't go down too quickly if you just spam your Limit Breaks. With more than a million HP, unless you're very fast and efficient you will be exposed to Omega Weapon's formidable ability loadout - Megiddo Flame does a fixed 9998 damage to all party members, Gravija takes a lot of your HP and Terra Break is 15 hits of severe defense-ignoring damage to the entire party.

I know, I know, he has a fixed attack pattern, making him very predictable. True, knowing his attack pattern makes him a lot easier. But on the contrary, not knowing his pattern means you're in for a hell of a fight. One fight where you can really go all-out in Final Fantasy VIII.

DarkMagusSisters.png

#4: Dark Magus Sisters (Final Fantasy X)
    Out of all the many, many good superboss battles in Final Fantasy X, I found the Dark Magus Sisters to be the most interesting and well-crafted, especially when fighting all three of them at the same time. Boss battles with multiple targets to hit tend to be the better ones, and the Dark Magus Sisters are no exception. Every sister has a different way of destroying you, making fighting the trio quite a challenge. Dark Mindy is the most evasive enemy in the game and hits you with status effects and a death-inducing Passado. Dark Sandy's Razzia is immensely powerful and she can also petrify and shatter your characters. Dark Cindy also has a very strong Camisade move and can initiate the unsurvivable Delta Attack when all three sisters are alive - this move has to be blocked by an aeon, otherwise it will definitely kill you!

The combat system of Final Fantasy X has the potential to be very strategic, however this rarely comes into play during the main storyline. It does shine in its superboss battles, though, and a good setup and strategy can go a long way. The Dark Magus Sisters are one such battle.

EmeraldWeapon.jpg

#3: Emerald WEAPON (Final Fantasy VII)
    The most classic and well-known of all superbosses in the series. Emerald WEAPON has been terrorizing players since the game first came out and with attacks and an AI that make this foe very frightening, it definitely deserves a spot on this list. A well-prepared party should be able to take him out before the 20 minute time limit runs out, but Emerald will still put up a tough fight. One wrongly-timed heal or failure to deal with the eyes can result in a quick death.

This is the series' first truly well-thought-out superboss with a behaviour that is not easy to see through, and attacks that can induce nightmares to newbies. Aire Tam Storm ranks as one of the greatest trolling moments to anyone who fought this monster without prior knowledge. Emerald WEAPON is not a particularly difficult boss, but a very memorable one nonetheless.

Judges.jpg

#2: The Five Judge Magisters (Final Fantasy XII)
    Often cited as the hardest superboss fight in Final Fantasy, the five Judge Magisters from Final Fantasy XII have grown quite infamous amongst the more hardcore Final Fantasy players. Sadly, they cannot be fought in the European or North American releases of the game, as they are only fightable in the International + Zodiac Job System version of the game. However, these guys are so strong that I could not possibly leave them out of this list.

Unlike other bosses in Final Fantasy XII that were mostly a marathon, the Judges don't have skyrocketing HP values. The weakest of them, Ghis, only has approximately 120'000 HP. However, they are still quite fearsome enemies; if you don't take them out quickly enough, they will throw Elixirs on themselves for a full heal! And with an insane damage output on all five judges, you will be hard-pressed trying to find an opening to take out even just one of the five before it's too late and they outright overwhelm you. They have their weaknesses and exploiting them is most likely going to be a key to success, but it's not going to be easy. See this is how you make a superboss fight: don't make it last forever, make it a short battle, no longer than 15 minutes, but really difficult and challenging while it lasts.

Chac.pngShinra.png

#1: Chac & Almighty Shinra (Final Fantasy X-2)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Final Fantasy X-2 has the best postgame out of all Final Fantasy games. The Via Infinito really pushes you to your limits and overgrinding for it is literally impossible as even at Level 99 with all the best accessories (besides the Iron Duke, obviously) this dungeon can end you in mere seconds if you lose concentration. And no other enemy in this dungeon is as fearsome as Chac - and when I say Chac I refer to the non-oversoul version.

Chac is fought on Level 80 of the Via Infinito and is a superb example of a well-designed superboss. She only has three attacks and yet every single one of her attacks is a danger to be considered and only by finding a counter to all three at the same time. It may sound simple but it is a very difficult task. Stony Glare ignores all immunities and petrifies its target, no questions asked. Her regular Bash attack can quickly shatter any petrified party members and also deals heavy physical damage, far more than any defensively weak dressphere can handle. Finally, Heaven's Cataract is her most devastating attack, dealing very strong magical damage to (probably) the entire party, shattering petrified characters, as well as causing several stat-downs that most likely make you unable to hit her, dodge her attacks, or even just survive any of her next attacks.

And did I mention that you fight her in random encounters as well?

Yet, despite Chac being easily one of the most memorable superbosses, there are about a thousand ways to cheese her; from Cat Nip to staggerlocking to bribing to Delay Buster, the ways are endless. This is where I present to you Almighty Shinra, the one superboss that may be even better than Chac.

Almighty Shinra is exclusive to the International and HD Remaster versions of Final Fantasy X-2. You first have to go through an extensive quest chain in the Creature Creator until you eventually defeat the almighty Monster King, prompting Shinra to take his place. The result is Almighty Shinra, a superpowered fiend even stronger than anything you will find in the Via Infinito. And also, in my humble opinion, the best superboss in Final Fantasy.

Shinra has access to a variety of attacks that simply tear right through you: Clione hits random party members 10 times for strong physical damage, Ultima does what it always does, Full Break weakens your party members by quite a significant amount, and he can also put himself in Haste. And that's only his first phase. Later on during the battle he can also use Final Impact and Fireworks. Final Impact severely damages your HP and MP and is difficult to recover from. Fireworks doesn't care one bit about your defenses and just hits for insane damage, unless you're lucky and it misses.

Shinra has 275'000 HP, so it's nothing you can't whittle down. However, his defenses and overall stats are top level so you need a good deal of accuracy and defense-ignoring abilities if you want to deal any worthwile damage to him. Ontop of all that, he has Auto-Regen which heals around 8000 HP every so often. So forget any marathon strategies, forget about focusing on keeping yourself alive indefinitely, you need to damage him, and damage him quickly. But that leaves you vulnerable! You gotta find that balance, that balance that allows you to damage him without being torn to pieces at the same time. It's very hard to find but very rewarding if you do.

Final Fantasy X-2 has very good superbosses, between Chac, Paragon, Shinra, Angra Mainyu, Azi Dahaka and all the extra bosses from the Youth League Tournament. Major Numerus is certainly the most difficult, but Almighty Shinra is the most well-designed. When Numerus only hits you with damage so high you need a dozen Megalixirs to keep yourself alive, Shinra damages you hard enough to make it a challenge to stay alive while still pressing you to damage him lest all your efforts go to naught at the hands of his merciless Auto-Regen. And don't you dare forget to dispel his Haste; nothing is more terrifying than a hasted Almighty Shinra. And with that, he easily gets the Number 1 spot on this list.

So what did you think of this list? Would you have arranged them differently? How many did you face and conquer?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't Shinra mean Almighty? So his name is Almighty Almighty?

I'm so pissed at never having been able to fight the Judges.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Good list - interesting to see no places for the more famous superbosses like Omega/Shinryuu, Omega Weapon and Ozma. I've only beaten two on this list - The Dark Magus Sisters and Emerald Weapon. I wouldn't call Emerald easy!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hi Karifean, would you mind if I promoted this to the frontsite after some minor editing? This is fantastic and the kind of work we want!

Articles
    Blog Entries

@Quin: Shinra means "Dark God" (loosely translated) I think.

@Psychotic: Ozma is pretty much exactly what I would NOT put on this list. Because he can throw things at you that you cannot defend against. That's where it stops being a challenge and just becomes "pray-to-RNGzus". And if he decides not to kill you, he's pretty easy.

Shinryu and Omega from V, as well as Omega Weapon from VI were good contestants, but ultimately I decided that I preferred the others. They would be somewhere in #6 to #10, though.

@Lockharted: Sure, go ahead, that's great!

You love your Yunalesca-Basilisk and Shinra.

1. Ruby WEAPON
    2. The rest (Omega in all versions, Geryon, Proto-Babil, Der Richter - yes, the German name is the Japanese name and vice-versa -> "Dea Rihuta" -> "Der Richter", Heretic Anima, Heretic Mug, Dug & Rug, et cetera)

"Shin" means Deity, True, Mind, et cetera.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-03-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    1. Ruby WEAPON
    Eh, ruby weapon isn't all that hot

We recently played through FF7 and had more hassle with Emerald than Ruby tbh.

Fight it with only Enemy Skill and probably limited characters. And not with Instant Wins. Emerald is a loser. Oh my good, Materia Storm, how painful - or not.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-03-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    1. Ruby WEAPON
    Eh, ruby weapon isn't all that hot

We recently played through FF7 and had more hassle with Emerald than Ruby tbh.
    Does anyone know how that Ruby is in a Japanese game there? They didn't have the two optional Weapons in the Japanese version (they were going to, but there was no time or something) did they re-release a version in Japan with all the Weapons included or is it a hack and the data to fight Ruby Weapon exists somewhere (I doubt it as Ruby is on the map as well)?

That is Final Fantasy VII International.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The problem with Ruby WEAPON is that it has a really hard time dealing any threatening damage to you. If you have a Ziedrich, you're looking at maybe 2k-3k damage per attack (15/32 of your HP from one of the tentacles though), which is nothing you can't easily heal, even if you let two party members get sucked in by Whirlsand. Once it runs out of MP it's even less.

And to answer your claim: The Emerald WEAPON Solo Character Enemy Skill Only challenge is considered one of the absolute hardest challenge battles in FF7.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    And to answer your claim: The Emerald WEAPON Solo Character Enemy Skill Only challenge is considered one of the absolute hardest challenge battles in FF7.
    By now you should know I never claim. I have fought them both with Enemy Skill. And getting Ziedrich in an Enemy Skill only-run (except manipulate, of course) is something I want to see. Get ready for Ruby's tentacle rape that gives one character a hard time with Enemy Skill. Ruby is more broken than Emerald, also with its damage reduction - of course defense ignoring damage is a possibility. Materia Storm deals 1111 damage in enemy skill only (2222 with Underwater if we are fair to allow it since the battle is long, of course but then it is not really "Enemy Skill only"), Revenge Stamp can be healed and the Eye Lasers are like the Tentacles what causes problems. The Emerald Blasts are also no big. Emerald can be attacked with Laser and doesn't even need something like Chocobockle or ???? for high damage. Emerald was terrifying when I was a child.

The only way to cry in an Emerald battle is getting the overlap glitch destroys you because you have won and lost at the same time.

Now on to the next beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    OH NO! I ONLY HAVE ONE CHARACTER WHATEVER WILL I DO AGAINST THE ALMIGHTY RUBY WEAPON!!!

Oh...he's vulnerable to Paralyze. Now he can't do anything at all.

Too bad, so sad, what a crappy boss.
    You have never done an Enemy Skill-only challenge.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-04-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Ultima Weapon was way cooler than Omega Weapon in FFVIII.

Gonna go make a thread about that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ahh I see. I assumed you meant making just the battle an Enemy-Skill-only challenge. Of course I don't know what it would be like in an Enemy-Skill-only RUN.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is Final Fantasy VII International.
    Thanks.