Thread: "I don't read books because fiction is stupid"

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course, that's why they can't get into it. To them, because it's made up it's invalid, and so to them it's not worth reading. I'd say it's just because they haven't found the right book to connect with, but that's just me I don't know anyone who actively thinks "Hey, you read fiction. What a waste of time." Maybe you've encountered that, and I'd say someone saying something like that is pretty silly. It's hard for me to imagine that... but I was living with English majors in college and all my friends love to read everything. Outside of student teaching, I've been in a very pro-reading bubble, haha.
    Last edited by Scotty_ffgamer; 05-05-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Blog Entries

As someone who is always day dreaming with my head in the clouds I admire people who are strongly grounded in reality. It sounds like a rare and difficult trait to have.

If someone said this to me it would be the same as if someone told me "I dont drink or smoke pot because relaxing your brain temporarily is useless". It's an experience they dont wish to partake in and I wont hold that against them
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 05-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I 'think less' of non-readers, but it's more just that I have a hard time relating and being friends with someone who doesn't read. It's really only because I read SO MUCH and it's such a big part of my life that if I can't discuss books with someone, it's difficult.
    I actually feel this way about a lot of the forum. I feel like the books I read are wildly different from the books you and most of the other bookworms in The Lounge read. I don't mind though!

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Now, I'm not taking issue with the fact that someone limits themselves to one genre, I just find the argumentation of "it's made up therefore invalid" quite offensive. Like, on a personal level.
    I understand where you're coming from, I guess it still doesn't bother me though.

Now if someone started saying this about my favorite video games, on the other hand...

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be the moment Pike evolves into Skynet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    That would be the moment Pike evolves into Skynet.

*looks at Pike's sig*

... Remind me not to talk about FFX with her.

I came out of a thrift store yesterday with six fiction novels. All science and magic. I figured I need more material to draw from to help flesh out my own stories, since currently "awesome point A" is connected to "epic point B" by "tedious line 1."
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't read much fiction for very different reasons, largely because I don't want it to affect my style too much. I'd rather find my own voice than try to emulate another writer but also, I find that when I find a new show or concept that it sometimes creeps into my own writing subconsciously, and I have issues being accused of plagiarism when I really didn't mean too. So I used to limit what I read with fiction. Nowadays I've kind of gone 180 on that front cause I realize that my own writing has suffered because I don't familiarize myself enough with how other authors write and thus I second guess myself too often about what is "acceptable".

Until people actually visit the depths of the ocean, swim into the sun, warp out into deep space, send their minds into the congested infoverse of the internet, or experience physical contact with God, I'd say pretty much anything that can be written about has been written about, the end result being that the snare of plagiarism is pretty difficult to elude. There are only seven types of story, only twelve character archetypes, seven versions of the Hero... what can be done and avoided being done has been... they're called tropes and there are multiple websites devoted to them. There will always be those who cry plagiarism but just a handful of those would be legitimate claims. The only alternative would be for all record of any story ever to be deleted and have every human have amnesia.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never heard the statement and would probably ask what they watch on TV. If the answer is anything that qualities as fiction I'd politely note the flaw in their thinking. I just think it'd be silly to denounce all fiction as stupid if you're still technically exposing yourself to fiction in a different medium. It's like when people who watch reality TV complain to me that wrestling's fake.