Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default "I don't read books because fiction is stupid"

This is kind of the opinion I see more and more of nowadays. Scarily enough, it's not on the Internet - it's in real life. Be it from a student of mine or out of the mouths of some people from some job recruitment workshops, this is basically what I hear:

"I don't read many books, unless it's non-fiction. Why would I waste my time to read something someone made-up, when I can read about something that really happened?"

I just.

It drives me nuts, hearing something like that. I mean, if you're too lazy too read books just say it, instead of hiding behind that excuse so that you look smart and efficient and not lazy! Heck, I'm sure you don't care if the stories are made up when you watch smurfing Grey's Anatomy

I think fiction really is worthwhile. No matter if the story happened or was real, it's still a story that carries something and molds our characters, our ways of thinking in specific ways. I don't think any book is a waste of time. Heck, even bad books can be worthwhile so that at least you know how not to write a book

So what do you guys think of the issue? Have you ever encountered someone like that? Writing this, I expected a lot of people here read books, so if I offended someone who thinks the same as those people - I apologize. I would, however, gladly listen to what you have to say on the matter as I am absolutely clueless why someone would deny themselves the joys of fiction.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never heard this. In fact, I've heard the opposite. "Why would I read a book if it isn't fiction? Historical? I'll learn that in class." But I didn't hear stuff like that often.

The worst I heard was a guy who didn't read (for a few reasons) but he still wanted to get a bookshelf and fill it with books because it would "make him look smarter."

you are stupid for even thinking about that sentence for more than 5 minutes hth

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    you are stupid for even thinking about that sentence for more than 5 minutes hth
    Hey, everything's worth analyzing!

I analyze everything! And I mean EVERYTHING.

If an increasing group of people says something like this, it's an interesting sociological trent I would like to understand.

TL;DR I'm not stupid. Your face is stupid.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Fiction can help us explore things in a way we can't otherwise explore. It's stupid to think that fiction is worthless, but there are an astounding number of people that just do not read.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    This is kind of the opinion I see more and more of nowadays. Scarily enough, it's not on the Internet - it's in real life. Be it from a student of mine or out of the mouths of some people from some job recruitment workshops, this is basically what I hear:

"I don't read many books, unless it's non-fiction. Why would I waste my time to read something someone made-up, when I can read about something that really happened?"
    Coming from people who don't know how the world works.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This may sound strange coming from me, but part of me can see where people like this are coming from. Honestly if these people are still reading even if it is only non-fiction, then I don't have that much of a problem despite disagreeing with their views. If they would be willing to branch out from non-fiction, they would find stuff they like I'm sure, but it's not that different from someone saying they ONLY like fantasy or ONLY like mysteries.

I'd say part of the problems are schools. A lot of teachers seem to try to beat into students the notion that fiction is of super importance without really explaining how the characters in Of Mice and Men (or anything they read) are relevant to their lives. They find themselves having to analyze and tear apart these books, and this ends up taking the fun out of reading them for someone just gaining an interest in reading. I know a few people that don't read fiction because of this. They watch television and movies, but those haven't had the fun taken out of them yet.

Blog Entries

I enjoy both equally for different reasons

Fiction gives you a good story and gets that imagination working. Non-fiction can be inspiring and emotional. (not that either can't be the otheres!)

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Scotty_ffgamer said what I was thinking as I read this. He even mentioned tv which is something I would bring up in a conversation with a person saying they only read non-fiction.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've never heard anyone use this as an excuse anywhere, and it makes no sense anyway. Extremely many spend time on fiction through other media.

Personally, I rarely read because I'm scatter minded and impatient. Movies and TV series compress the contents and also let's me use my best developed to directly process it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like non-fiction okay. Honestly 'non-fiction' vs. 'fiction' is such a broad range. It's like saying 'rock music'...which can include classic rock, hair bands, alternative rock, etc. Most of the non-fiction I read these days are memoirs.

But yeah, everything Scotty said. I don't really care if someone only prefers to read non-fiction. It's just a preference. As long as they aren't elitist about and don't care what others read, more power to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

People's time is their own, and far be it from me to dictate whether they spent their dwindling time exercising, reading french poetry, trying new recipes or fixing cars. Just try not to be mean to one another, dammit.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

People can read or not read what they want. I don't even have a problem with it if people choose not to read. Personally I feel that people might be missing out on something by limiting themselves to one genre or by not reading at all, but that's just my opinion. I don't think any less of non-readers!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    People can read or not read what they want. I don't even have a problem with it if people choose not to read. Personally I feel that people might be missing out on something by limiting themselves to one genre or by not reading at all, but that's just my opinion. I don't think any less of non-readers!
    I 'think less' of non-readers, but it's more just that I have a hard time relating and being friends with someone who doesn't read. It's really only because I read SO MUCH and it's such a big part of my life that if I can't discuss books with someone, it's difficult.

But nah, life is busy and a lot of people who love to read can't just because they don't have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now, I'm not taking issue with the fact that someone limits themselves to one genre, I just find the argumentation of "it's made up therefore invalid" quite offensive. Like, on a personal level. I read non-fiction sometimes and I can understand that's someone's favorite genre, but when you say everything is a waste of time because it's made up, you're looking down on people who think it worthwhile. And that's what causes these rants in me.