Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You're sitting next to a stranger who is crying.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

Asking someone if they need to talk means then I might have to listen to them and stuff.

I'm kidding - if someone is having a hard time and needs to talk, I'd pay attention. I just feel super uncomfortable trying to figure out what to say to make someone feel better, particularly somebody I don't know at all, so it would be really awkward. Hopefully I wouldn't make it worse. But yes, I would probably ask them if they are okay and if they need help, and I would do my best not to ruin everything.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    You offer a tissue (and forshame if you haven't a tissue) and you say something like this:

"Is there something I can do to help you?"

They'll take it from there. Source: People come in to the office I work in crying a lot.
    I don't carry tissues with me! D:

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I would definitely ask them if they are alright - I'm not the best with crying people, but the least I could do would be to offer them a tissue, the use of a telephone, directions, or the simple courtesy of acknowledging that there is a person suffering in plain sight. If they don't want my help, then that's fine and I wouldn't take it personally. There are plenty of times when I've been upset, even weeping in public, and for someone to just talk to me would have been so incredibly grounding and distracting.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Too many variables to consider to provide an informed decision. Such important considerations as age of the individual, initial impression (does this person look unstable, and potentially harmful, are they drunk or obviously impaired by substance use etc) how drunk am I, do I have the window seat, how long away is my stop... but likely not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

On a bus? I'd leave them alone, because it's a large public space and I wouldn't want them to feel weird when surrounded by people and if it was a quiet bus, this might be their way of "getting away". In an open space or a room or something that I could leave them alone should they wish to be? I'd ask if they were okay, and if they wanted to talk, I'd let them. If they didn't, I'd respectfully say something like "Whatever it is, I hope it turns out okay" or "Okay, take care" and then leave them in peace.

And yeah, I've been in this kind of situation a couple of times before. One person wanted to talk and did so) and the other one, in a bus stop, bawled "What? No, it's fine." and walked away and called someone on their mobile.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

My gut reaction is to check on them and leave them alone if they want to be alone. If I was crying in public I'd like for at least one person to show they cared.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    You offer a tissue (and forshame if you haven't a tissue) and you say something like this:

"Is there something I can do to help you?"

They'll take it from there. Source: People come in to the office I work in crying a lot.
    I don't carry tissues with me! D:
    You're the worst Cobb, seriously! :P

Yeah generally offering a tissue and letting them take it from there is a good way to go. Normally when I offer a tissue I try and make a somewhat light-hearted comment that shows a little compassion and a willingness to talk but without obligation on their part.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Man, I carry practically everything in my bag, but not tissues! Perhaps I should offer them some hand sanitiser or something.

If they looked at me, I'd ask them if they were ok. If they were just staring at the floor or something, I'd guess that they want to be left alone.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

encroach a little towards them, say "are you all right?" in the kindest tone, then after they respond, unencroach if assistance is not necessary.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will cry with the person so that he/she wouldn't feel lonely.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whip out a straw and get that sweet, sweet salty eye-juice.

i would flash mob them. nothing cheers someone up like a flash mob! i plan a flash mob everywhere i go, just in case someone needs to smile that day

tell them they'd look prettier if they smiled since that's what men always tell me
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.