Thread: Do the FF characters still matter?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Do the FF characters still matter?

You know, my two favorite KH games barely have any cameos from FF or SE games and I keep thinking to myself that they never really served much of a purpose beyond the first game, the original characters are generally more interesting and most fans seem split on whether the KH incarnations are good or awful caricatures. So if the FF characters disappeared, do you feel it would hurt the series or do you feel as I do, that the series has grown past the need for the excessive fanservice and should stick to Square's odd interpretation of the Disney-verse?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The ones they already have should stay, but I don't think there's any need to add new ones. Unless they have some smart idea.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always thought the FF characters felt out of place and was there more as fanservice than anything else. I liked the few FF characters that appeared in the first game, but even then they didn't seem to have as strong a stage presence as the Disney characters did. I would have liked to see actual Final Fantasy worlds be thrown in with the Disney ones to make them feel more at home, but that never did happen to my knowledge. I only have the first game to go off of, but if you removed most of them you probably wouldn't miss much.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think they've served their purpose and the game is now popular in its own right. I'll be honest, I am not a fan of Disney at all, I got it purely because it had Final Fantasy characters and because an EoFFer (Sephiroth1999AD! Shout out to my man!) whose views on FF I value very highly said it was possibly the equal if not better of FFVII. Now I'd get KH3 even if they said they were removing the FF gang, though I'd love to see more FF in it. An FF world - Cactuar Heartless, anyone? Yes please.

Do they matter? No. Do I want to see them? Sure. Do I want different FFs? Depends on who they give me. Do I care if they don't show up in the next installment? Not a bit. In fact, I would hope there would be less involvement with the Disney worlds as well. Each time, we're force-fed the same story we've already watched, just with some Heartless and one new twerp involved. Would I like to see Frozen in the game and fight through Arendelle with Elsa? Sure. But I wouldn't devastated if it weren't in there. Frankly, I hope to see more original worlds. The demos made it seem as though we'd playing at least in Twilight Town again. I would hope that Traverse Town would somehow be reconstituted as I always thought it was one of the better worlds.

What would Kingdom Hearts look like if it were retold minus all of the cameos (FF and Disney alike)? I don't think it would be any different. It would just be a shorter story. In fact, I think if they made a KH movie, that's how they should approach it. No Cloudco, no Mickey, no Disney worlds; just Sora traveling from Destiny Islands to the End of the World to save Kairi and Riku from the Heartless.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Never really noticed nor cared to be honest.

Just wanted to see them be within the Disney universe and just bond and chat with Sora, Riku and Kairi.

Yeah. So far in the series, only Zack, Auron, and Cloud have showed up on Disney worlds... and all three showed up on the same world. None of the FF characters played even a slight role in the other worlds. It would have been neat to see more of the FF and Disney characters interact. Squall and Aladdin, Ariel and Aerith, Yuffie and Alice, Tifa and Tarzan, etc whatever. Hell, it would have been nice if the Disney characters could have met and interacted. I had always thought it was lame that though you could form a party with the Disney characters you couldn't bring them along with you to other worlds. I don't care what in-universe explanation they made up to support this Game Design Crime, it still sucked. Even the Beast who didn't even show up on his own world. Maybe SE should develop a Disney version of Dissidia.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.