Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RPG that had the biggest impact on you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I'd played RPGs before, even FFs, but this was my first Matsuno title, therefore, the first game that I played that actually presented a rich scale of grays, instead of the regular black and white conflicts. I think it really has changed the way I perceive the world and what I want my storytelling to look like.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

FFVII. I had always been into gaming, but this game just blew me away. From there, my unhealthy obsession with the series manifested.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

FFVII.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Definitely Final Fantasy VII.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Breath of Fire III introduced me to RPGs (well actually that was Super Mario RPG, but I didn't get hooked on the genre until BoF).

Final Fantasy VII introduced me to FF, which led me to here. And also without FF7, this place would not exist.

Impact... impact..? I don't know that any RPG has impacted me at all. Perhaps some have affected my writing style... no. Not my style per se. Moreso that I've written a number of fan-fiction that I later mutilated so that they only vaguely resembled the works they were derived of. I think the most original story I ever wrote was a fan-fic devoted to Zack before I knew anything about him. The first paragraph was true fan-fic. Everything that followed completely obliterated any connection to Final Fantasy VII. Zack became a black clone with a missing sister and crazed older brother/father (both he and his sister were cloned from another clone) all three having heterochromia. There was a psychic, a cop (actually a spy), a super-soldier (the cop's sister), a mercenary "Mercen-X" (...yup), and an entire segregated race based on eye color (red for males and magenta for females). Three concepts shared with VII were genetic experimentation, the fact that Zack was an elite soldier, and the existence of a tyrannical corporation.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Oh we're going for timeline changing impact?

If Zelda counts as an RPG (I really don't think it does but I guess I'm unique in that view) I have to change my answer to that. Wouldn't have met Mister Adequate without it.

:monster:

If Zelda counts, then yeah, definitely that. Probably either the first one or LttP. Those games had as much to do with my lasting obsession with video games as anything I can think of. You're not unique in not thinking of it as an RPG, though, Pike; I don't think of it it that way either.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Final Fantasy VII. It's why I love JRPGs more than any other genre of video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Hm, probably FF7. It was the first game to set me down the path of being a 'gamer'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If FFVII never happened then this site would not have existed, therefore I would not have the same friends, I may not have travelled to places like Germany and America, I would possibly not live in this country and I would almost certainly not have met let alone married Danielle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Final Fantasy VII was my introduction to all things RPG and FF related, so that's an obvious mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    But it's eclipsed by FFVII, which took things to a new level and laid bare what video games as a whole were truly capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    FFVII. I had always been into gaming, but this game just blew me away. From there, my unhealthy obsession with the series manifested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    FFVII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Definitely Final Fantasy VII.
    All of the above also applies to me.

... except I didn't marry Danielle.

Final Fantasy IX

Because I used to think/ believe that I sucked at video games and could never complete them, and that game told me that I could, it's possible, if you work hard at it enough.

I did work hard at it too. I think I was like LV 30 at the beginning of CD 2 or something insane.

Articles

Lots of final fantasy up in this thread.

Mother smurfers need to get some Grandia on.

FFVI is what introduced me to jRPGS - Chrono Trigger's what got me hooked.

Blog Entries

This is the most difficult question I've ever read, holy trout.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

I was an awkward spotty 13 year old when I first played ff9 (first rpg). I was hooked on it so quickly, an Easter weekend in fact and I spent the Sunday and Monday stuffing chocolate down my throat and playing this game. Zidanes character was huge on me, he inspired me to have more confidence in myself and to lighten up a bit. To this day my favourite game of all time and I don't think it will ever be topped imo.
    Ride ze shoopuff

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

For me it was my 1st, FFI. That is when I officially became a nerd.