Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gotham

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo Gotham

Thoughts? I'm not sure what to think of Ryan as the commissioner.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I heard about the premise in passing and side with those who are hesitant on how successful it can be. It isn't like Clark Kent with Smallville where a lot of the outline on how a show can work has already been laid out in Superboy comics. Gotham without Batman is basically just another crime drama on TV. How do you do it before Bruce Wayne and all of his greatest foes become who they are? It has potential, but it's going to be faced with a lot of obstacles getting off the ground.

I'm kind of surprised it's airing on FOX, though. I would have thought it'd be on The CW given that most of DC properties are owned by the WB but I could be getting the wrong idea of how that works since SHIELD is on ABC and ABC is owned by Disney. That's probably a good thing, though. Otherwise it'd be reduced to another teen drama before long.

I'll probably watch the premier if I remember it's on since the trailer does have me kind of excited.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm actually pretty stoked for it, although yeah it will probably take me a couple of episodes to stop thinking "oh it's Ryan from The OC"

Blog Entries

Gotham without Batman is basically just another crime drama on TV.
    I assume it'll just have a lot of villain origin stories in it since most villains become villains before they run into batman. It does look pretty exciting.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Gotham without Batman is basically just another crime drama on TV.
    I assume it'll just have a lot of villain origin stories in it since most villains become villains before they run into batman. It does look pretty exciting.
    And that has the potential to either be really great or a complete flop. I imagine there's a lot of cool things they could do if they adopt the Red Hood origin story of The Joker.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard some talk about this on a podcast I listen to, and they actually psyched me up for it.

I actually hope the Joker/Red Hood story are not used, because I smurfing hate that story and I hate anyone who tries to explain Joker or his backstory. It defeats the entire smurfing purpose and mystery of his villainery I refuse to accept anyone's interpretation of Joker who tries to do this, especially comic spoilersas The Killing Joke comic explaining the Joker/Red Hood plot has him brutally rape Gordon's daughter. Sorry, my Joker isn't motivated by sexual desires and likely has no need for it at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

While I actually prefer The Joker's mysterious background, it seems inevitable that this show will give him a backstory to include him just because he's Batman's most popular villain and I think the Red Hood persona is at the very least worth considering if they do. But maybe the writers for this show will leave it alone.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Joker's backstory should be that he was once a great Hollywood actor, who just got lazy & to pay for his courtside seats to the Lakers games, he turned to a life of crime.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They should do a Joker origin story every season, each one being completely different and with no reference to the previous versions.

This certainly has intrigue. I'm a big fan of the other DC 'origin' shows (Smallville, Arrow) so of course I'll give this a try. Will be tough to make it great without the main character, though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Rather than being canon to the story, they should all be flashbacks narrated by the Joker's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    SHIELD is on ABC and ABC is owned by Disney.
    And Marvel is owned by Disney too now, hence SHIELD airing on ABC.

Also, rape doesn't need to be motivated by sexuality. Certainly, it helps, but it's not necessary.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did he rape her, though? It's never actually stated. All we know for sure is (SPOILER)he took pictures of her naked and showed them to Gordon to drive him mad.

Now that's always been the Joker's motivation. Riddler tries to prove he's smarter, Penguin likes birds, Catwoman likes cats, Scarecrow is the avatar of fear, and Joker is the avatar of chaos and madness.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It looks like ass and how can you have Gordon with no facial hair?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just don't know how I feel about this show. I don't like SHIELD but I like Arrow okay... Batman is my favorite super hero so I want to like it. We'll see.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    I'm not sure what to think of Ryan as the commissioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    it will probably take me a couple of episodes to stop thinking "oh it's Ryan from The OC"
    I actually feel that this role suits Ben McKenzie better than the O.C. one did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    They should do a Joker origin story every season, each one being completely different and with no reference to the previous versions.
    I love this idea. They should have each Joker story carried out by a different writer. "Who is the real Joker? Are any of them the real Joker?" It basically keeps things a mystery while still allowing us to imagine different ways it could have happened (and debate them, and I feel topics that are up for debate are important in any TV series as they increase the word-of-mouth adveritising potential).

I looked up who the actors are and I have to say I'm impressed with how much Camren Bicondova looks like a young Meg Ryan. Excellent choice. In fact, all of the actors look well casted although I'm not sure about the young Bruce Wayne. Hopefully they can act impressively, too.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!