Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gotham

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I looked up who the actors are and I have to say I'm impressed with how much Camren Bicondova looks like a young Meg Ryan.
    Yeah, maybe if you stretch her face sideways???

This looks okay, really. I just want them to start The Flash. Wake up, Barry!

There should be a Joe Chill who kills his former gang members for betraying him, a Jack "the Ripper" who is responsible for the murder of the Waynes, a Red Hood career criminal, an actor who portrays an edgy clown, a man who lost everything including his wife and unborn child and turned to a life of crime, a lab assistant spattered with disfiguring and mind-altering chemicals, a troubled teen who immolated his parents, a self-proclaimed immortal who has lived since the pharaohs, and perhaps the Phantasm should also be hinted as being an earlier persona of the Joker (of course, minus the spooky outfit). Or better than the Phantasm angle, what if there were a version of this "potentially the Joker" that was the actual Gray Ghost so as to imply that Joker started out not as a thug or a villain, but as a vigilante in a trench coat and fedora.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

so my worst joker nightmare has come true, heller particularly references The Killing Joke as being one of the great batman comics and it seems likely that he will base the Joker's origin on that storyline

Joker confirmed for 'Gotham'

An awesome interview with Bruno Heller all the same. Pretty smurfing bold statement about Gotham surpassing the Batman movies in visuals. I am doubtful, but we'll see.

Extremely interested to see who they will cast as Joker and if they can fill such large shoes, but also I'll probably hold onto my reservations and not really give the character a chance because I don't believe in that story

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can we get some armed guards outside of Barbara's house?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Did he rape her, though? It's never actually stated. All we know for sure is (SPOILER)he took pictures of her naked and showed them to Gordon to drive him mad.
    re: off-topic graphic/disturbing comic spoilers regarding Joker and Barbara GordonIt's true that it is never outright stated in the comics that Joker rapes Barbara. Nonetheless, I believe it is heavily implied. Some months ago, previously unreleased original artwork for The Killing Joke* was revealed with even more hideous and uncomfortable scenes depicting the Joker's torture of Barbara, furthering the fact that I find it very difficult to believe he did not rape her. Additionally, there is talk of Alan Moore confirming during a reading that "as far as he was concerned the Joker did rape her", and that he possibly raped Jim Gordon as well. More sources in the trivia portion of this page.

*Please note that this link has nsfw comic drawing excerpts.

While I understand how far Moore wanted to push The Joker and his classic sentiment that "the world is just one bad day away from becoming like him," this is too far for me and it is why I don't like The Killing Joke or any portion taken from it (among previously stated reasons).

little bit explicitThe page does nothing to convince me that Joker either truly raped Barbara or that his motives were sexual in nature.
    1) An argument made in the page comments that stripping a character naked to shame them is a common tactic, further it isn't restricted to "villains" but also used by larger-scale institutions such as armies.
    2) Even if Joker did assault Barbara, it isn't proof that his motives shifted to the sexual. There were a few episodes of Nip/Tuck that involved a rapist who was a man who didn't even have a penis. He had to use a strap-on. His motives certainly weren't sexual, he just wanted to destroy the victims' self-esteem and sense of security.

Also, responding to a suggestion made in the article: Joker is a "psychotic evil villain", so it's not as if he's being made out to be some kind of role model for people to follow his example. This bull about sexualizing violence. He's smurfing evil.......!

And as for the wiki, I'd take anything said on those pages with a grain of salt.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was Two-Face confirmed before? If not, he is now.

Have to say, I think that revealing these characters little by little is a pretty genius move to get folks interested.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Why are they putting in all these villains when Bruce is only about 10 in this? The only villains that were relevant in his childhood as far as I know were Oswald Cobblepot and Thomas Elliot.

I wanted a Gotham Central show for years, but this looks like it's just going to be bad. My take would've been during Batman's years , but with just a focus on Gordon and him dealing with corrupt officers in his department, stopping villains without the aid of Batman (I doubt Gordon and his crew could stop the like of Clayface, Ra's, The Joker, and Mr. Freeze on their own, but criminals like Zsasz and Two-Face I think are within their skills), and just some more looks into Gordon, Renee, and Harvey Bullock's personal lives.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 05-12-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not about Bruce, though, that's the thing. It's bigger than Bruce Wayne.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I am skeptical about this show, but I'll almost certainly watch at least a few episodes. I did enjoy both Smallville and Arrow, but I am wary of how well they can do a good Gotham origin show -- especially without Batman. Maybe it would appeal more to hardcore DC nerds who care about the villains, but I really just like Batman.

It would be great if they could do a cross over with Arrow. Now before you say "this is Gotham's past, Arrow is in the present" consider that some characters have lived a lot longer. Ra's al-Ghul makes this a very real possibility. It would probably only work on an episode of Arrow where while Ollie is reading notes on an immortal, we flash back to events occurring on an episode of Gotham.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They''re on different networks, so that won't be happening.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ho...kay, there's that.

How did Fox even get Gotham? That dilettante network won't have sense enough to hold onto Gotham past its first season. Hopes... dashed... irrevocably.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gotham wasn't created by Joss Whedon so it'll be fine.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

This could go really well or really terribly. I hope that it becomes more than a tour of Batman villains becoming the forms we recognise though, because that sounds like a bit of a cop out.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.