Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, what really bugs me the most about the DS remake is that they should have remade Lufia 1. Lufia 2 is an amazing game but Lufia 1 has so many problems and clunky design that it really needed an overhaul.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

As we leave the town of , we find ourselves on a traditional SNES world map.

Nothing too remarkable about it. I honestly expected something more from that mode-7 animation at the beginning. But oh well, what can you do We can actually go in two directions now, north and south. Since south is where the old man wanted me to join him, that is where I go!

But wait! I am interrupted by a random encounter!

*gasp* Is that the fabled jelly?

Pfft. The thing went down in one hit. Does that mean Maxim is just that strong, or is the entire population of the town just incredibly useless? I also find it weird how the games says Maxim "gets" money and exp without any name, pronoun, not even a simple "you got X xp!". It just states it matter-of-factly, nonchalantly. It's as if even the game doesn't like Maxim very much.

Let's get to the point, though. Here's our destination.

I'm still not sure if this is the right place.

Alright, so apparently encounters are random only on the world map. In dungeons, all enemies are visible on the map and move along with you, which is actually kinda smart and sounds fun. We'll see how that works out for me! It's just jellies for now, so of course there's no need to try and avoid that (though I'm not reall given much of a choice now anyway. This is a tutorial dungeon).

"You're wrong... That jelly meant a lot to me..."

Aw crap.

So, in the next room I get access to the "arrow" skill. Basically, I can shoot stuff from a distance, so that enemies freeze in their tracks. I can also shoot switches!

Okay, now that actually looks pretty darn adorable.

Next comes the room with my first ever switch puzzle. Essentially, I need to step on the switch to hold the door open, but if I step off it, it closes instantaneously. Luckily, there's a statue nearby that I can push (but NOT pull!) by moving while pressing the A button.

Why, for one of such academic prowess as I, this puzzle is insultingly easy. If it were only-

Well, f**k.

Thankfully, I wasn't stupid enough to push it all the way and managed to easily manoeuvre the statue back on the switch. It later turns out I can fix my mistakes with the free "Reset" spell anyway, so there's that Trying to ignore the agonizing screams of my injured academic pride, I continue along the corridor and stumble upon a peculiar room, where the old man teaches me the most awesome technique yet.

"... And you're telling me this NOW?!"

I feel so much better now...

And so I cut down the last patch of grass to reveal a switch. Don't need to keep standing on this one, it opens up the door for good. Beyond it is another puzzle, where I get to carry around a jar and put it on switches, which is pretty neat. When I'm done with it, that's it for the tutorial dungeon and I can go back to the world map. Now, that wasn't so bad I can actually see where Golden Sun took inspiration from. I always loved the puzzle elements in that game, so let's just hope the fun will just keep coming in the later dungeons.

Join me next time (tomorrow, hopefully), wherein I shall go back to where love is blooming and something smells... fishy

I do hope that Golden Sun style puzzles continue, because they were indeed awesome. I'd love to see more abilities for use in the field, too. I mean, you have an arrow and sword, but what about magic (or Psynergy)?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, nothing yet aside from "Reset", but that's just an emergency thing as it resets the whole floor, including monsters. I'm hoping for some more cool stuff once I get more party members.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! That "arrow" thing is in my inventory and apparently there's gonna be more types of projectiles later on

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yaaay, good update!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I do hope that Golden Sun style puzzles continue, because they were indeed awesome. I'd love to see more abilities for use in the field, too. I mean, you have an arrow and sword, but what about magic (or Psynergy)?
    Nothing like Psynergy I'm afraid but there are additional tools and stuff. This game is a blend of typical JRPG and Legend of Zelda but the heavy emphasis on puzzle solving sets it apart from other JRPGs of the 16-bit era.

Have you made it back to town yet?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I do remember that Lufia II had some decent puzzles. I really liked that pyramid puzzle that's coming up shortly. It was tough as a little kid but still possible. I don't know how confusing it would be for Fynn with his academic brain though

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want an update!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm sorry these updates are so sporadic nowadays. I will do my best to post something up today, but this is just a hectic time for me in more ways than one

Just as I looked into the lets play forum, I see this one I am interested in only to have my hopes dashed. ;_;

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Just as I looked into the lets play forum, I see this one I am interested in only to have my hopes dashed. ;_;
    As in it's updated so rarely? Sorry I intend to post something today!

....O_O

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The funny thing is that this Let's Play got me replaying this game. So on the brightside, when you start this up again, I can actually be helpful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yay positives!