Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Let's Play Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals!

Hello and welcome to my first ever Let's Play! For this particular Let's Play, it was you - yes, you, you wonderful posters! - who've decided what I should play. I wanted this to be a game I had not experienced before, so the choices were narrowed down to Lufia and Tales of Phantasia, so I made a poll and... it was a tie But still, when I read the posts in that thread, people were way more passionate about me playing Lufia, so there you go Also, Wolf Kanno recommended it, and I would trust that magnificent man with my life, and Skyblade seemed to really want to see me play it, so I humored him.

Alright, let's get this over with! Say hello to your host, Fynn! I am wearing glasses throughout this playthrough because I am an academic.

ACADEMIA!

So this game has got an interesting title. I don't know if you knew this, but the Old English word "lufian" (pronounced /ˈluviɑn/, or "loovian" if you can't read IPA) means "to love". I have no idea if this was the intention behind the title. But that's what it is. The more you know

So, we start with this marvelous screen:

Yeah, I already disagree with this game. Natsume was not a seriously fun anime. It wasn't even just fun. It was a serious bore.

If you don't click a button by accident (which usually happens to me), you get graced with a very atmospheric scene of a castle being hit by balls of light.

Then it sends off some balls of its own.

But seriously, this scene is really beautiful with some creepy music to further enhance this foreboding atmosphere. But I digress. Who could be the denizen of this obsidian fortress?

Okay, so it's apparently some lady and her master. He seems pretty nice. I mean, he's her boss, but the way he speaks to her is super polite, even respectful, almost as if he cares about her. I kinda already like this Arek fellow.

That face looks really trustworthy.

Ah, but he asks some difficult questions. Turns out these two aren't humans but something they call "Sinistrals". Your guess is as good as mine. Erim is pretty sure that Sinistrals are the clearly superior race, but is puzzled why her boss would ask her something like that. Turns out a legendary artifact called the "Dual Blade" is supposed to decide the fate of this planet. The fated time of judgment is to come, a time where it shall be once and for all settled if it's humans or the Sinistrals that should stay. You know, it's kinda like the nineties, when you were either camp Backstreet Boys or N'Sync. Though, sadly, I think there's substantially less fangirling involved here.

So Arek asks Erim to... go? I dunno, I guess she's supposed to get the Dual Blade or something?

Hey look! The balls of light are actually people! So she flies around the Mode-7 worldmap a bit and up comes the title screen.

Totally not a triforce.

Now, if you don't press anything for a longer period of time here, you will get another nice cinematic showcasing the many characters I presume will join the party later on in the game. None stand out at this moment, though, apart from one character who speaks like a Southern gentleman, yessuh!

Anyway, moving on straight to the game, this is our hero, Maxim.

I wish they served jellies where I work. Oh wait, I don't have a job.

Here he is with his not-girlfriend, Tia. Apparently, he hunts monster and sells her the loot, as she runs a shop. The rate for jellies is really low as the town is really struggling financially lately, what with so many monsters about, so she pays him 120 instead of 180. Love is in the air. He's an insensitive dick, she's a complete ditz! These two are made for each other.

"Um... My job is the only job I can think of..." "Yeah, well, your job is stupid."

You tell'im, gurl!

She gets angry and goes to the back of the shop. Don't worry, she'll still sell you items. Even though she shouldn't. Dick.

Anyway, hope you liked this one as a start. I'll try to post something up tomorrow, as I've still got quite a bit of gameplay captured. So tune in as we take a tour of the beautiful town of Elcid and perhaps even venture out of it as we follow Maxim in his pursuit of more Jellies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

God I haven't played this game in yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrs, might give it a whirl after I finish my VII playthrough.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, one more thing! If any of you guys have some tips, please feel free to share as long as they're spoiler free! I've noticed some of the item descriptions are poorly translated and it's sometimes hard to make out what does what.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is interesting! I wonder who these non-human human look alikes are. Was that covered in the first Lufia, maybe? I have played neither.

Your write up is excellent!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't be too hasty about selling gear in this game, weapons have special abilities and sometimes the ability makes up for the low stats. Yeah, poor Tia, I kind of feel really bad for her with putting up with Maxim. The biggest thing I would remind you is to make a note about pivoting. It's a skill shown only once in the first dungeon but then becomes paramount to completing puzzles later in the game. When I originally played this I forgot that ability and was completely stumped with a very simple puzzle that required it...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thankfully, I take screencaps of practically everything, so the tutorial stuff is there and I won't forget it

Articles
    Blog Entries

Great job with the commentary Fynn. Can't wait for the next one!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Needs moar update!

I still lol at "My job is the only one I can think of..." "Yeah well your job is stupid"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I apologize for the delay! I was too caught up with things and stuff yesterday that I couldn't do a proper write-up. Expect an update later today!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Maxim is such a moron. Tia totally digs you, dude.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry for the humongous delay. My academic endeavors have been keeping my large brain at bay. Now, let us engage in more Lufing.

Welcome to the fabulous town of Elcid!

Close, but not quite as fabulous as this guy.

So apparently the whole town is in on board the Maxim/Tia ship. That is, everyone except Maxim himself, because, like all shonen protagonists, he's got all the sensitivity level of a teaspoon. Also, you can't see it on his map sprite, but Maxim has one magnificent coiff.

I want his stylist here. Like now. We need to talk.

Indeed it is! Some people are concerned about the growing monster population, but others have more pressing matters to attend to.

I smell a subquest!

"... Whatever it was, I think it had boobs."

"Like, I know, right?"

"Oh, don't be silly! I'm sure it's just gas."

So as I take a walk around town, I notice there is a church here. You guys probably know I'm a big fan of churches, so I go in. It's all nice and churchy and I just wanna pray but it turns out churches are extremely useful in this game!

Oh game. You so clever and fourth wall-breaking.

So yeah, churches allow you to save. You can't save on the world map, but you get save points in dungeons. Seems pretty fair. Just keep in mind, you guys, that I don't intend to use the emulator's save states. I want this to be as close to a normal playthrough of the game. We'll see how long I can make it with that mindset

So I go to the spell shops. Apparently, everyone in this game can learn spells, but not all of them. Still, the prices are pretty over the roof, so I can't buy any now anyway. And this girl gives me a nice explanation of how to target multiple enemies with them.

Alright game, we need to talk. It was funny once. Now it's just stupid.

I've visited most of the town now. The inn's free of charge for me, which is pretty neat. I guess despite being a dick Maxim is still pretty well liked in this town. But of course. Otherwise, Al-Cid would have to deal with the constant invasions of demonic jellies. Anyway, I go South to leave town and meet this guy.

Oh, cool! I love secret techniques!

"... If you know what I mean."

Alright! That's it for now. Join me next time as I follow this old man into his dungeon, hoping he can show me some useful... techniques
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maxim definitely has some swagger to go with that coiff.

maxim2.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Maxim definitely has some swagger to go with that coiff.

maxim2.jpg
    That is simply magnificent.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

tia.jpg

Tia isn't too bad either.