Thread: Anime Spring 2014 Season - Watching anything?

Articles

Default Anime Spring 2014 Season - Watching anything?

Besides my millions of posts in the video game forums and perhaps the FF9 forum, I am an anime fan too. Myself and Shauna tend to peruse through the upcoming anime list season to season, pick about 10 things to watch and then whittle down the list to about 3 shows to watch on a week to week basis.

With the Spring 2014 Anime season in effect for about 4-5 weeks now, is anyone watching any newly released anime?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

For reference.

No, I prefer to watch shows when complete, as these are only halfway through. So far, I've heard high marks/hype for Jojo, No Game No Life, and Ping Pong. Situational recommendations for Black Bullet, WIXOSS, Date Alive part 2, and the still ongoing Nisekoi. Everything else has had some promotional images/poster artwork that I have seen and recognize the title of. Would recommend against Soul Eater NOT! if you really liked the original work; it's very different in tone and is mostly cute girls doing moe things compared to the kinda-shounen action battle plot of Soul Eater. Just because it shares characters means nothing.

Blade and Soul, of course, is "based" on the MMO of the same name. I remember lots of time trying to figure out how to play in the Chinese beta that had a UI translation by some random soul. Unfortunately, I don't know all that much about these shows. I may have been trolled about everything except Jojo.

No one has any idea what is going on with Monogatari Second Season parthash Sigma Hanamonogatari. It's supposed to be the Suruga part of the story in the books that was left out of the last season and some extra stuff.

But summer, that's where it's at. Aldnoah Zero, Sailor Moon, Space Dandy 2. I'm not worthy.

Articles

We are continuing Nisekoi from last season, and have picked up Jojo, No Game No Life, and Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? I like watching things week to week, with the exception of shows such as Kaiji. Watching season 2 of Kaiji was insane.

If you are not watching things until the season is done, did you pick up anything from winter 2013?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Space Dandy. I picked up Golden Time and Kill la Kill, but those were 24 episode shows that started in Fall '13, and they were finished over the course of a few days.

I did the whole "watch things week by week" thing, and it bit me in the ass so unbelievably hard that I refuse to do it again. Watched Endless Eight live when it came out, and got the episodes as soon as they were subbed. It was bad. What really pushed it over the edge for me was watching Fate/Zero. I hate pacing issues in works that I've read the source material for.

EDIT: Found your/Shauna's MAL.

Articles

I think I updated MAL once, shauna tend so to keep hers up to date. AS for endless 8, I never watched the second season of Haurhi. I always ment to, but I was probably advise by my friends who had watched the series not to.

How is Kill La Kill? I watched the first episode thinking this is super over the top and something I could pobably enjoy, but then never got into it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If you watched the first season and liked it, the second season is a good supplement; i.e., it's not its own season, really. It may answer questions you might have had from the first season (John Smith, filming issues). No "airing order" crap, but you only get 7 (9?) new episodes. You should watch it if you plan on watching the Haruhi movie, which is pretty good.

Kill la Kill is very over the top, definitely entertaining, like TTGL. If you've heard people having issues with "fanservice" then you can safely ignore them as they probably have not watched the show. I never viewed any of the characters as sexual objects because I was so focused on trying to figure out what the hell I just watched.

On the other hand, don't think too much while watching this. Literary analysis about this show revolves around female identity issues as a result of puberty. Yeah.