Thread: Do you get attached to specific physical copies of games?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Do you get attached to specific physical copies of games?

And I don't mean if you break a game or lose a game.

Here's a scenario fitting for our forum:

You have a black label version of Final Fantasy VII. A friend comes over with the exact same game and you sit them next to each other.

A little time goes by and when you go to pick up your game you can't figure out which one is yours. They are both identical, black label copies with no scratches or marks.

Would the idea of your friend taking your copy of the game home bother you? There's no way of knowing, but would you be sad knowing that the version left at your house wasn't the one that was sitting on your shelf for years before?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If everything is identical about them (case was in same condition, discs were scratch-free, etc), I wouldn't care that much. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with Super Smash Bros parties friends and I had a couple of times. I do remember leaving one of those with someone else's Gamecube controller somehow (which meant someone else threw it in my bag). The only physical copy of something I probably really have any attachment to is my copy of FFVIII. It is possible I'd get sad at the thought of somehow going home with a copy of that game that wasn't my own.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Depends on the game. I have a few that have been given to me by others and I would loathe to part with them. I also don't care if they are the exact same as someone else's copy, I want my own copy, damnit!

edit: after thinking about it, yes, I would be bothered if I knew I had an imposter copy instead of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    If everything is identical about them (case was in same condition, discs were scratch-free, etc), I wouldn't care that much.
    Truthed.

Cartridge games are another matter because they can look fine on the outside but still be scrambled on the inside.

I actually thought this thread was going to go into a discussion about whether we're ready to shift from purchasing physical copies, to simply paying the price to download the game onto your console (which I don't like because what if something happens to my console? Do I have to buy the game again in order to put on a new console which I also had to buy? At least with PC games, you can download the content onto any compatible device without having to return to the store and buy the material again.)
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

It would not bother me unless the imposter copy was really dirty and gross or something.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If they are 100% identical (as far as human perception can tell), I wouldn't care.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

If they were unaltered version I dont think I'd have any real problems with it.

However if me and my friend both went to the creator or voice actor or whatever and got it signed by them then I might care a little if I didnt have the one that I personally handed to whoever and got signed.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

Yeah not really. I love my physical copies, but I wouldn't care if I took the wrong copy of Mario kart Wii home after a party. So long as there is nothing wrong with it, then I'd be fine

If there's something special about mine, sure. If it's just a copy of the disc, I'll usually only care because I have a tendency to take extremely good care of my discs, and I wouldn't want one in inferior condition.

That said, I'm extremely protective of my cartridges and handheld games because I am very protective of my save files.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I have issues trusting other people changing my discs, it's ridiculous and I think it would bother me if somehow even identical copies got mixed up.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I love my physical copies, but if they were 100% identical I wouldn't mind.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes and I wouldn't set them down next to each other for that very reason. Not without something to be able to tell them apart.

Blog Entries

If I was autistic, maybe. As a matter of fact I'd rather take other people's copies of my games as most of mine are old and falling apart anyway.

there was a picture here

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'd only care if the other copy was damaged in some way.

I had it real bad with XBOX controllers where I accidentally took a friends home, and got home and realised it rattled and was all stick. Of course he denied it being his, so I was stuck with a gammy controller.