Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by magemasher View Post
    FFX
    Shadow Hearts
    FFXII
    Shadow Hearts 2

I don't think I played any other rpg's to completion, they were never any competition to the four above.
    Until you came along, I was going to say how it was interesting that people either said X or XII and nobody said both

Wow. I hadn't realized until now that I didn't really enjoy any RPGs on that console. Not in its lifetime anyway. Right now I've went back and bought Persona 3 and 4, and am enjoying them. But of the ones I played I only beat like 2 of them and didn't really consider them anything special. FFX, XII, Xenosaga 1, Disgaea, Kingdom Hearts, La Pucelle Tactics, nothing really captured me. I should probably wish I were exposed to SMT games a lot sooner. Digital Devil Saga always interested me. But I never came across it in stores and never went out of my way to get anything back then like I do now. I guess if we're counting Diablo clones, I would put Champions of Norrath games far and above Baldur's Gate games. Which is almost sad, really because the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games had such a more rich universe to pull from, and had a lot more going for them. But they weren't quite as finely tuned. Very clunky and awkward in comparison. But all really good games

The girlfriend however super enjoyed RPGs of that generation. The Suikoden games, the Shadow Hearts games, Grandia games, Legaia 2: Duel Saga, I think there was a Wild Arms in there somewhere? And Tales of the Abyss

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's kind of funny how the two previous generations had a general love of FF and very similar tastes for most people and then you reach this generation and it feels like it is all over the place.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's kind of funny how the two previous generations had a general love of FF and very similar tastes for most people and then you reach this generation and it feels like it is all over the place.
    But isn't that a good thing? It kind if implies we get more variety.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    But isn't that a good thing? It kind if implies we get more variety.
    Yes, but I wonder if the genre is splintering too much into niche games. It just seems like this is the generation where JRPGs lost their footing.

1. Persona 3: FES
    2. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
    3. Suikoden V
    4. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
    5. Persona 4
    No Xenosaga love, Wolf? For shame. Heck, FFXII didn't even make your list!

Granted I have played none of the games on your list so....

FFXII
    FFX-2
    FFX
    Star Ocean 3 (all-time favorite OST!)
    Xenosaga I-III (seems impossible to prefer one...they all go together! III was probably my favorite for gameplay though)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    1. Persona 3: FES
    2. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
    3. Suikoden V
    4. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
    5. Persona 4
    No Xenosaga love, Wolf? For shame. Heck, FFXII didn't even make your list!

Granted I have played none of the games on your list so....
    Xenosaga is a good series but I don't love it as much as I used to, it's also difficult for me to choose between Episode 1 (story) or Episode 3 (gameplay). I also really enjoy FFXII but I feel these games give a more well-rounded experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Episode III is better

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Episode III is better
    I can't get over how the plot resolved itself, which knocks it down a few pegs for me. Episode 1 might have some awkward pacing but it makes it all worth it by the end, and the story overall gave off a lot of potential. Episode III is good but I can't help but feel like everything is rushed. It's like 10-minutes of bringing you up to speed and then the rest of the game is just whipping you through like a roller coaster trying to resolve every plot thread as quickly as possible.

If this list was top 10 instead of 5, they would be on it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is rushed. I think they had to cut the games short whereas they were expecting a few more games after ep. III, but with that in mind I think they did the best they could considering they had to compact what, 4? games in to 1. The pacing was a bit weird, especially on disc 2. It was basically major boss fight after major boss fight, but the story it did have I thought was excellent, it had some awesome scenes, and it was even nice enough to let you go back and watch the scenes any time you wanted. I also think it did a good job of combining the first 2 games to find a happy medium.

Edit: Not trying to argue, just stating my opinion since III is on my list :P

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well sadly the game's development was kind of screwed over from the very beginning. Technically Episode 1 was suppose to be all of Shion's story as in all three games were suppose to be the first episode and then it was going to jump into a new timeline. The first major trailer for Episode 1 had stuff from Episode 2 in as well. Then they got split into two games and then Episode 2 and 3 were suppose to rap up Shion's plot but some executive decided they could drag the series out by making the series smaller so a lot of content was cut from Episode 2 that ended up in Episode 3, but Episode 2's redesigns were such a turn off for fans and gamers alike that the team had to fight to get Episode 3 done and it's success would determine the fate of the series. While the game got great reviews, it didn't sell as well as Namco had wanted and the franchise got unplugged.

Course I do commend them for doing a better job with finishing the series over what happened with Xenogears but I actually liked how Xenogears resolved itself whereas I have objections to how Shion and KOS-MOS story resolved and Wilhelm's part in everything. After the party deals with Yuriev, I start to lose interest in the plot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's a shame. I love episode I but I actually liked it less on my last playthrough. Some moments were genius, like the Cherenkov story, but overall I found the pacing too slow and some of the areas were just such a pain and I didn't enjoy them at all.

It's still a great game though. It's a really good series. Shame it got unplugged.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree, it would have been interesting to find out what Xenosaga: Frontier and Xenosaga: Exceed were going to be.

I prefer Episode 1 but there are definitely many strong points about Episode 3. Yuriev is my favorite Saga Villain for starters and even after he's defeated you have bgreat showdowns with Voyager and Margulis, wrapping up Ziggy's and Jin's arcs. And who can ever forget Allen facing down Kevin?

Overall I agree that the way the main story comes together in Episode 3 is much less satisfying and well done than in Xenogears but I think they managed to tie most of it up pretty well It's just the nebulous excuse of "an ancient civilization did it!" for everything that bugs me.