Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transistor

Yeah, it's pretty fun! Not to far into it though.

Blog Entries

krissy has been overeager about this for ages and I can see why. This is gorgeous and looks fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't believe I've heard of Bastion before. Should I play that first before looking into this game?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

They are unrelated to each other, other than being made by the same people. Bastion absolutely captured my heart though, so whether you play it before or after Transistor, I definitely recommend playing it. It is one of my favourite games of all time.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

*adds that to his list*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

When people talk about indie games. There's Fez, Meat Boy, Braid, Castle Crashers. Bastion. It didn't really do anything special for me. But it did something special for a LOT of people. So here's hoping you're one of them. But it's worth owning just to have as part of your collection. Especially if you enjoy Kingdom Hearts style gameplay where you run around and thwack stuff. Except imagine it with the world being created around you (literally the path falls in place in front of you Alice in Wonderland style) and your whole adventure is being narrated by a top notch Samuel L Jackson knock-off from Afro Samurai or something. The game definitely helped put indie games on the map. And Transistor has some HIGH quality pedigree. They knew exactly what they wanted to create and they pretty much knocked it out of the park as near as I can tell. Can't wait to sink a few more hours into it. Its always nice when a game completely meets and exceeds your expecations

Similar to Bastion, it executes atmosphere and style excellently (personally, I prefer Transistor on both counts). However, I am finding the gameplay itself extremely frustrating. I'm continually getting killed on the first boss, and I don't really have enough options to switch around or try many different strategies.

Ok, so the key is using Turn() way more frequently. It's actually far more turn based than I initially thought.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-23-2014 at 06:43 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Yeah. They give the option of playing it like an action game, but its nearly impossible once the tutorial stuff is done and gone. Anymore, I can't really even imagine trying to face some of these enemies in real time. Also be wary of limiters. They tend to make the game a lot harder when active and I'm not really sure the level bonus is worth the headache. I had a lot of situations where I'd lose a skill due to being "killed", but I only just finally died on a huge boss fight and it asked if I wanted to restart without the limiters and I realized they were kind of holding me back. I should have read them more carefully to begin with. They'd been causing me a huge pain for quite a while really lol

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah limiters are a huge handicap for very little reward. They're for challenging yourself, not actually for improving your XP, because if you're good enough to consistently win with them on you don't need the XP anyway.

It's a novel concept. I don't really enjoy being godlike in most RPGs. So I'll probably end up using them eventually. But I was obviously not ready yet

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, I wanted to play this game, but I don't have a good enough graphics card to play this on my PC, nor do I have a PS4. Looks like I'll just have to play this some other time.

The people in the comments section on Polygon's review were saying a potato could run the game. I never bothered to check to specs to see. Though my computer runs pretty hot while playing it, I imagine the inclination was that it didn't take much. Unless you just have an intel integrated GPU or something. Then I could understand. Otherwise you may be able to run it and the recommended specs might be off. Who knows. Supposedly the developers have also said the game runs better offline so that could boost something too if anyone is having chugging issues. The first time I ran it, I used my Game Booster software, but it still kinda chugged here and there. The last few times I've played, I let all the Windows systems stay on and it's been running fine. Still makes my system hot for some reason though

Well, the second big boss, the Spine, was giving me a lot of problems. Until I found the ability combo that seems to utterly break the game.

Spark() with Mask() as an upgrade. Then you just sit there and spam Spark.

With Mask as an upgrade, it makes you temporarily invisible while casting Spark. Everything loses track of you, even bosses. Heck, even the Spine's tail will miss if you're invisible before it hits you (though it does aim for you, and if it catches you off the cycle, it hurts).

Also, never go anywhere without Jaunt() installed. Way too useful to have a quick escape that can teleport through most small barriers and enemies and doesn't get crippled by Turn().
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

played 5 minutes

goty

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man I loved this game until it ended because god damn was that an abrupt ending that left you with damn near zero answers.

I feel like Supergiant was trying to do two things, one to create an atmosphere (and my god did they succeed) and one to tell a story, but the latter just didn't come together in the end.

e; That was too harshly phrased. I still love this game. I'm just disappointed that there were so many ideas never explored and so many questions never answered, unless you want to take the most oblique of hints and extrapolate hugely from them.