Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use everyone in battles?

Get creative with Ability/Magic spheres and Kimahri can be king with his seemingly limitless mp. Mug and Hastega are recommended.

Anywho I used to switch everyone in and out all the time, but now I don't really bother anymore. I use whoever gets the job done which usually means everyone gets screen time because of monsters' unique weaknesses.

I always start with Tidus/Rikku/Yuna however, since having the quickest chars in your party when the battle starts is basically free "First Strike" ability. Ambushes excluded.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

All this non-switching out is just insanity. I try to get everyone in, to @ least do something. Even if it does drive me crazy sometimes.

Yeah I switch each round, usually just press triangle to defend with Yuna. Wakka is only doing 250 damage entering Zanarkand so thinking of dropping him. Kimarhi is literally a beast when you complete him, it's a first for me.
    Ride ze shoopuff

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, you can get exp for just defending half a turn so it's not a big problem. Everyone usually gets screentime just because of enemy weaknesses, but kimarhi kinds of doesn't have a specific enemy he's strong against so he's forgotten about more often.

I kind of think the exp sharing in ffx is dumb anyway. Considering most characters are gonna be needed most of the time, everyone should either just have gotten the same exp, or at least be given 50% exp if they weren't used. That way, the people you use remain strongest, but you don't have to spend annoying amounts of time to make certain characters catch up.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Tlo be honest, you can probably win the game easily just using Wakka (for aerial enemies), Auron (for high defense enemies) & Tidus (for agile enemies). The only thing, you might need Lulu for weapon-immune enemies.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You don't really need tidus either. Wakka can easily hit agile enemies too, due to his high accuracy. He might just need two rounds to do it because often times he'll hit for like 5% less than an agile enemy's hp. A 10%str ball usually takes care of that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Very true. You can also get him into Auron's zone & Wakka could raise his attack quite nicely.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Meh, I tend to just switch every so many battles and then stick with the same team for awhile.

I often see people say Kimahri is difficult to find a use for, but personally I've always found myself using Lulu the least. Guess I'm not a big magic user.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I try and use everyone, and to be honest it led to me being quite overpowered with doing little to no real grinding. Just following the story. Definitely worthwhile, and doesn't take that much longer.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Lord no. Who is Kimahri again?
    OMG what! Kimahri is amazing and I use him all the time. The very 1st time I played I never used him in battle so he was kind of pointless, but now I have him taking Lulu's path and it is awesome having 2 black mages. I used to have him follow Auron or Wakka's path, I don't remember which, but I already have 3 great "strong" fighters (Auron, Wakka and Tidus) but only 1 black mage so I thought it'd be better having him learn black magic and it's seriously the best thing ever. I'm very happy and I use him in every battle. Well, I use every character in every single battle so they can all get exp.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

In my past games, I've tried to use all the characters, but it's quite tedious to cycle between 7 characters and have 4 of them defend, while you really need just 3 characters to beat the enemies. Therefore, as I progress in the game, I can't be bothered to use all the characters all the time, so usually Kimahri and maybe Lulu get left behind. I use the expert sphere grid, so it's quite easy to teach Yuna the level 2 black magic spells (Fira, Thundara etc) early in the game, which makes Lulu somewhat unnecessary.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Here's the problem with Kimahri: he's not in your party during the single best level-grinding spot in the entire game (the Highbridge). So when you hit the Calm Lands, suddenly you have six world-destroyers and one non-specialized guy who's lagging way behind. It basically cripples him for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Here's the problem with Kimahri: he's not in your party during the single best level-grinding spot in the entire game (the Highbridge). So when you hit the Calm Lands, suddenly you have six world-destroyers and one non-specialized guy who's lagging way behind. It basically cripples him for the rest of the game.
    Perfect description of the issue.
    Pray to Yu Yevon. Dream, fayth. Forever and ever, grant us prosperity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I never really used the Highbridge, just Omega Ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I never really used the Highbridge, just Omega Ruins.
    But how do you get strong enough to kill the guys in Omega Ruins?

Highbridge!