Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Virtual Boy

Did any of you guys ever mess around with this thing?

I remember trying a demo one at Wal-Mart and thinking it was so weird (and slightly absurd).

Later when they failed and were getting clearanced out, I found a bunch of them new in box for $20. This was when I was still a kid and didn't have any of my own money, and I didn't feel like hassling my parents for it, so I passed on it. But thinking back on it now I wish I had managed to snag one. You know, just to own a ridiculous piece of gaming history.

The Wario game was actaully really fun, though OH DEAR GOD THE HEADACHE FROM THAT THING!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was something... I agree with NeoCracker that the Wario game wasn't half bad but the red on black visuals and 3D effect just made the whole thing a mess. It's a shame this system cost Gunpei Yokoi his job at Nintendo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't know this thing existed until years after the fact. It's one of the things I was glad to be left under the rock for.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've always wanted a Virtual Boy just for the sake of collecting. I've never played one so I don't know if it would have the whole headache effect on me since I know some people that had no issues with it. It's a pretty weird system with it's lack of a headstrap and it's color scheme. I also find it amusing that it tries to give you the impression of playing virtual reality type games in the name, but only 1 or 2 games really seemed to attempt that.

From what I've seen, it has some pretty solid games that just have the misfortune of being a part of this system. Jack Bros, the 3D Tetris type game, Wario, Mario Tennis, a new spin on the Mario Bros arcade game... These are all things that I would love to see on the 3DS virtual console.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    But thinking back on it now I wish I had managed to snag one. You know, just to own a ridiculous piece of gaming history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer
    I've always wanted a Virtual Boy just for the sake of collecting.
    Same, I kinda wanna get one as a cool retro pick up!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember back when this started. There was an big box store that rivals Best Buy that sells electronics. It was like a mega Best Buy, and it had a room solely for video games. They were doing demos of the Virtual Boy, and I had the chance to try it out. From what I could tell, it was terrible to play. Controls were confusing, and I didn't like the visuals as well. ;P

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Had a friend who let a friend borrow it. The friend's friend didn't care for it, so my friend let me borrow it for a period of time. I never got a headache from it, but I didn't really think much of it. I hated how you just couldn't get comfortable no matter what with the thing.