Thread: Public Protests

Blog Entries

Default Public Protests

So today I was reading the news as I rarely do and wondered if anyone here has ever been part of a public protest/rally/riot

Have you ever been to a protest?
    What were you protesting?
    Was there ever a protest you wanted to go to?
    Have you ever had a protest made at you?
    Did you have a sign?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Every day I protest, every day I protest why blackmage_nuke hasn't made our anniversary thread yet OR even bought me flowers. My whole life is a protest.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah. There was a moment in time that I felt compelled to be a part of the Occupy [This Place] during the peaceful protests - especially with the UC Davis atrocity that went on - before I realized there were tons of jerks who were being smurfing assholes about it. I was working as a dispatcher for security and technicians for banking locations, and we got calls every single day that the Occupy movement had come in the night and put superglue in the locks of each and every banking building within blocks of eachother as a form of protest. What is even the point of that? We aren't on Wall Street! Your acts of vandalism aren't sending a message other than "We are a nuisance to a community of local people who just want to go to work and support their families"! You assholes made my job harder and now I don't like you anymore.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I went to a counter-protest against Westboro Baptist Church while in law school. I had a sign that said "God Hates Fraggles."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Back when I was still a loyal church goer I took part in an abortion protest. We just stood on the sidewalk holding signs while cars pass us by. A couple honks here, a couple of middle fingers there, a woman berating one of the protestors here, called an idiot by a little kid over there. Fun times.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Sort of.

Back in 2006, my then girlfriend invited me to go to a local 4th of July parade in her local area. She told me her father's group were part of a minor protest group against Bush and other aspects of his presidency that they didn't like. I thought it was going to be a casual thing were some people would hold signs and march along a parade route.

Now, I don't really mess with politics that much. I really won't get into it, but I think both extremes of mainstream politics (Left vs Right) are way...out there, and mostly serve to make their own interests/ideals look bad.

So when I get there, I see that one of the people in the group had a George W. Bush effigy in a noose on a flag pole. I quickly figure out that I am about to march in one of those groups. I'll admit that I wasn't Bush's biggest fan, but again, how do people who do something like that (no matter what their cause is) think are going to make people suddenly switch to their point of view?

The rest of the group seemed normal, so at first I thought there were just a couple of extreme people. No big deal. Then my exgirlfriend's father reveals why he was in an orange jump suit (I thought it was to protest some sort of prison policy on the way there). He then pulls out a George W. Bush mask and a sign that says "MISSION AKCOMPLISHED!!"

Oh boy.

I should note here that I had to real issue with these people, and I still don't. In fact, my ex's father was a pretty cool dude, aside from being extreme into politics. What I don't like is to have tons of attention on myself. Now, I have no problem giving a speech in public or whatever, but I just don't like it when people draw unnecessary attention to themselves. I feel that when people do something extreme in public it becomes less about the message or action they are conveying or more about "look how edgy I am!"

Anyway, we had a group of Conservative bikers behind the group roaring their engines the whole time to drown them out. Right when we joined the parade route people, including children, were booing us. Some guy got in my face and screamed in a drunken rage, "GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!" Right before the group joined the parade, a dude came out from a nearby house with nothing but jean shorts and an Air Force baseball cap on and tried to start a fight with the group (nothing happened).

As the parade went down the street there were more supporters for their opinions, so it thankfully became less intense.

When the route went off the main streets, some edgy teens/very young adults joined us. To the groups credit, whenever they said anything over the top ("LOL WE SHOULD KILL BUSH!!111") they told the young people to knock it off. However, I thought it was strange that they would let in more extreme members in their group, like the effigy guy.

That's about it. So basically I got in over my head over some protest section of a local parade. It made me pretty uncomfortable (at the time I tried to play it off as amusing) in the end.

PLEASE NOTE: If it wasn't clear already I didn't exactly agree with the protest group. That doesn't mean I am some crazy Conservative as a result. Yes, I have been accused of that for sharing this story before. I just don't care for politics in general, so don't try to engage in a discussion about them with me. I seriously don't want to hear it, nor do I care.
    Last edited by Sephex; 05-22-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: I can't make one post without a typo. One! Perhaps the same could be said of ALL posts!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Have you ever been to a protest?
    Only when it's gone on long enough and I'm ready to negotiate with them.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

By "negotiate" do you mean "drench with a Nerf SuperSoaker"?