Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you clean your teeth after every meal?

Default Do you clean your teeth after every meal?

This includes brushing or flossing or using mouthrinse or all of it.

Personally, my oral hygiene has been a thing of horror for years. As a child, I would wet my toothbrush. When my mom told me she saw things on my teeth, I started to brushing only my front teeth. Just enough to get the crud off but not with toothpaste. I was even worse when it came to flossing. I considered it such a hassle considering the few times I did it, I saw nothing on the string. I thought I obviously didn't ever get food caught in my teeth. Mouthwash was a waste of time in my thoughts too. I didn't bother doing it but once a month or two.

Obviously, these past few years, I've been living with the consequences of my irresponsibility. Hell, I was told about nine years ago by dentists that I had several cavities needing to be filled. I already had one and had six other teeth (wisdom teeth though they may have been) pulled. Now I'm need of five root canals and I can't even afford one.

So, how about it? Do you treat your teeth as sacred or do you take them for granted?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty in-between. I brush a couple times a day, mouthwash and floss basically whenever I feel like my mouth is a bit grotty, I don't make a big deal out of it but I don't neglect it either.

Course I'm a Bongistani so I've got horrible teeth anyway

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Not really, but I often pop a sugar free gum.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

I floss if I ever get food stuck in my teeth but I only brush in the morning and before bed
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

I eat all the time, so that would be a tedious task.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I brush my teeth with wire brushes, I floss with gristle and I use chocolate milkshake for mouthwash.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I snack a little more than I should so brushing after every meal would be overboard for me.

You aren't supposed to brush your teeth so obsessively, especially immediately after eating a sugary or acidic meal since brushing can cause corrosion.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't clean my teeth after every meal, no. Morning and night, mouthwash each time, mouthwash more during the day after coffee or if I've eaten something that requires it (garlic/onions). I have a thing about flossing - it's like nails on chalkboard to me to go between my teeth like that, so I try to stick to toothpicks and ways around it because I really cannot stand it

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

I used to brush my teeth a lot more frequently when I had braces (two and a half years of hell, that was) but now it's like, once a day, maybe twice if I eat something particularly sticky/sugary/starchy/s...bready. I use a manual brush and a wire brush, and sometimes floss. I rarely use mouthwash - just if my mouth is feeling kind of floury or whatever. Probably less attention than I should be giving them, but I've never really had any trouble from this.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.

There's actually a theory going around that if you want great teeth, you should brush after every swallow of food. Meals would take longer, but your teeth will thank you for it!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Alive-Man View Post
    There's actually a theory going around that if you want great teeth, you should brush after every swallow of food. Meals would take longer, but your teeth will thank you for it!
    This is a silly theory. When you brush your teeth, it is advisable to not consume anything immediately after as your teeth are more susceptible to corrosion after just brushing. There are different time limits you should wait to eat/drink anything that are thrown out there ranging from fifteen minutes to an hour. Brushing after every swallow is a terrible idea and would likely do just as much damage as if you were to not brush at all xD

Morning, Nighttime. Sometimes I'll use mouthwash as well, other times I'll only use it if I really need to.

I don't floss but I usually have a toothpick around after a meal.

My teeth are pretty troutty due to neglecting them a little when I was younger. Gotten on track with them in the past few years but I've got two in bad shape that need removing that'll be coming out in the next month or two.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If I'm at home I do brush my teeth after meals. But I only mouthwash and floss for the morning (twice - once before shower, once before leaving home) and bedtime brushes.

I also brush my teeth every time I'm about to leave the house. Even if I've been home for half an hour and I haven't eaten anything. I'm so scared of my teeth going bad. I know it's irrational and actually counter productive because over brushing can cause problems.

Something else to consider;

Time all your meals during the week - how long it takes to eat everything. Then at the end of the week add it all up, and brush for the total amount of time.

Saves a lot of time during the week but on brushday you may be going for a while!