Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: X-Men

I like it when the sharp fingers come out of the wolf man's knuckles

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Came back from watching Days of Future Past. It seemed to stay true the most out of all these films and I can't think of anything that bugged me with this one. Blink's powers were smurfing dope in this! I still thought Quicksilver and the 70s sentinels looked lame.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Just got home from seeing this.

I think I have a new favorite X-Men movie. Love it! LOVED. IT.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post

I think I have a new favorite X-Men movie. Love it! LOVED. IT.
    This sums it up for me. Great film, a nice intertwining and redefining of the 'old' and 'new' movie universes, and it opens up a raft of possibilities for future installments. I won't say much more for fear of venturing into spoiler territory, but I will mention a couple of things I felt were pretty unique about this movie:

1) Kill the bad guy to save the world!

Unlike virtually every other action movie ever, the entire point of the plot is to *avoid* killing the antagonist, on the basis that the escalation of violence would only end badly. Good idea, and it meant that the story had to play out in new and interesting ways.

2) Peter Dinklage as Dr Trask

His height isn't a plot point, nor is it a running gag, or his motivation, or a hint that he's secretly a self-hating mutant or something. I don't think I've ever seen another film or TV show with a little person in the cast, where the script did not feel compelled to keep reminding us that OMG HAY GUISE DID U NOTICE HE ISN'T BIG!?!?! Days of Future Past was commendably mature in this respect. Also, Mr Dinklage was brilliant in the part and had a crap-ton of gravitas and presence.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I get why comic book fans wouldn't like the movies. I didn't either at first. Over time I managed to see them as their own entity (there's a crapton of alternate universes in comics so why not?) and I manage to enjoy them better. Doesn't speak well for how true they stay to the source material, but there you go. I thought 1 and 2 were good. 3 would have been better if they didn't try to be two movies in one. Both Wolverine movies sucked. First Class was great.

X-Men: Phoenix Saga, please. kthx

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    2) Peter Dinklage as Dr Trask

His height isn't a plot point, nor is it a running gag, or his motivation, or a hint that he's secretly a self-hating mutant or something. I don't think I've ever seen another film or TV show with a little person in the cast, where the script did not feel compelled to keep reminding us that OMG HAY GUISE DID U NOTICE HE ISN'T BIG!?!?! Days of Future Past was commendably mature in this respect. Also, Mr Dinklage was brilliant in the part and had a crap-ton of gravitas and presence.
    This pleases me.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saw this last night. It was really really good. The only thing that saddens me is that the awesome Quicksilver we see in this film isn't going to be the same one in Avengers 2. Anyway, this was the best X-Men.

I was surprised at how well they handled Quicksilver. Aaron Taylor-Johnson has a lot to live up to when he plays Quicksilver in Avengers 2.

Dinklage was great, as was most of the cast. Loved the Kelsey Grammer cameo at the end. I hated The Last Stand with a passion, but Grammer as Beast was one of the best casting decisions of the franchise.

I'm a huge fan of the comics so whenever one of these movies is released I usually pick it to pieces and end up hating it, but I quite liked First Class and even though I wasn't expecting much, DoFP surprised me. Loved it and I'm excited to see where the franchise goes now that it doesn't have so much baggage. Hopefully they keep up the quality with X-Men: Apocalypse. Aside from them casting Channing Tatum as Gambit, I have so much hype.

Saw this over the weekend, it was a good X-men movie but I don't know, it left me feeling like there was a hole somewhere. As much as I enjoyed it all being in the past, I think having more in the future would've been good too. I just feel half and half about it.

Post credits scene was good.
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Discussed this film today with a few of my co-workers and a good point was brought up, why does everyone else look exactly the same in the future? Iceman looks the same yet he doesn't have the same non-aging immortality powers that Wolverine has. I'm guessing it's not that far in to the future then?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Discussed this film today with a few of my co-workers and a good point was brought up, why does everyone else look exactly the same in the future? Iceman looks the same yet he doesn't have the same non-aging immortality powers that Wolverine has. I'm guessing it's not that far in to the future then?
    The future part was 2023, so it's really not too far into the future.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I couldn't help but keep feeling sorry for the new cast though, as (SPOILER)they kept getting killed in sometimes horrific ways.

I was introduced into the X-Men films literally a week ago. My boyfriend wanted me to watch Days of Future Past with him in the cinema, but I haven't seen a single film. Because of this, he made me watch the two most pertinent films in quite a short space of time: The first X-Men film, just to give me a grounding, and then X-Men: First Class, as DoFP is sort of a sequel of that and introduces me to the past versions of some characters.

I still haven't seen X-Men 2, X-Men 3 and the two Wolverine Films, but I've been filled in on the highlights of the remaining two films in the original trilogy. I have to say, I'm not really into superhero type movies but I'm pretty impressed with the three films I've seen from the series. I hear X-Men 3 is terrible though, so I may just avoid that.

Lastly, anyone else think that Hank is pretty hot?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Saw it yesterday. Dragged the twins out to the drive in just to see this movie. I was not disappointed. It was pretty good. Not better than X2 or First Class, but still pretty good (X2 is still the best X-Men movie). It was really cool to see the future X-Men fight it out with old favorites like Storm, Iceman and Colossus along with new faces like Kitty Pryde and Psylocke. I wish the movie had more of the future in it rather than taking place mostly in the past.

While the movie was good, there were some big flaws:

1. Lack of mutants. It was great to see a full X-Men team going at it in the future, but where were the mutants in the past? Other than the obvious quartet of Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine/Mystique, the only other X-Men was Beast and the only other mutant was (SPOILER)Quicksilver and he was only in it for one part. First Class had a nice array of mutants both good and bad and it was pretty dumb that it was just briefly mentioned that (SPOILER)they all died! Even Banshee . There was a brief cameo at the start with the soldiers but they weren't really a part of the film. I would have liked to see more mutants involved in the final action scene rather than just Beast and Wolverine. They're great and all but even they can't take down 8 sentinels on their own.

2. Magneto's character. Magneto has always been a little crazy in his ideals, but he was inconsistent in this movie and went waaay off the deep end. (SPOILER)In the beginning, he was perfectly willing to kill Mystique to prevent the war, which is already against his character because he would never sacrifice a mutant to preserve the relationship with humans. Then, he does a complete 180 and decides to drop RFK stadium on top of the White House and murder the president and his cabinet in front of everyone. It's almost like we saw two extremes of Magneto's personality without any sense of transition. Also, it makes sense that Charles would believe Wolverine is from the past pretty easily but I don't know why Magneto bought into it so quickly, especially since it was leading down the path of murdering a mutant he shares ideals with.

3. Mystique changing into her real self at inopportune times. Hello? If you are going to (SPOILER)infiltrate Trask's office then why would you change back to your blue self once you are in there? And if you are going to assassinate a guy, why make sure everyone sees you are a mutant after you kill him? Are you trying to get caught? Makes no sense.

But obviously the best part was that (SPOILER)they retconned the entire third movie which is what I've wanted this entire time. Now only poor Wolverine has to remember that atrocity. If this movie did nothing else, doing that made it worthwhile. Dinklage as Trask was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Heavy heaaaavy Days of Future Past spoilers, you've been warned It was so awesome seeing Scott and Jean again! One thing I wondered throughout the movie was when it actually took place. The future part of it. How was Xavier still alive? Also, I wonder who that was building the pyramid after the credits rolled? Guess I should google these things.
    (SPOILER)That was Apocalypse. The four horsemen in the background gave it away for me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mystique changing bothered me too and her CGI body was distracting. I also didn't like how flighty Magneto was.(SPOILER) He had just professed how much he missed Mystique and then moments later tried to kill her. Seriously, what in the hell? Everything else was awesome though. No issues here. Xmen 2 might still be the best, I'll have to watch it again, but it was definitely better than First Class which I thought was a bit of a well-acted borefest.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I couldn't help but keep feeling sorry for the new cast though, as (SPOILER)they kept getting killed in sometimes horrific ways.
    I have to say, I'm not really into superhero type movies but I'm pretty impressed with the three films I've seen from the series. I hear X-Men 3 is terrible though, so I may just avoid that.

Lastly, anyone else think that Hank is pretty hot?
    I really wouldn't call the X-Men superheroes though. They're more like activists if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Saw it yesterday. Dragged the twins out to the drive in just to see this movie.
    Drive-Ins still exist?
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 05-28-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I bought the first two X-Men movies today for $5 each. For some reason, they were out of the 3rd one. I'll try to find that @ another store. Next week I plan on watching all of these again to refresh my memory.

I really don't remember X-3 being terrible. I do remember liking the other two a bit more, but I think this is a case of haters running amuck.