Thread: X-Men

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

X-Men has been better at including minorities in its ranks than most, though. I also would have liked Bishop to have a larger role though I understand why they sent Wolvie back instead.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Well yes, but when The Avengers/Spiderman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Green Lantern/The Hulk/Ghost Rider/Electra/The Flash/Fantastic Four/Daredevil/The Punisher/Captain America and all of their supporting characters/villains are white, it doesn't take very much to "improve" on that!

One of the previews we saw was for Guardians of the Galaxy - it makes me sad that we are more likely to have a tree and a raccoon and an alien as major characters in a superhero movie than a person of colour

Points for War Machine, I guess! Wait, and The Invisible Woman maybe (there's a joke there...)!

Okay, I'm going to make a list of minorities as major superhero characters as depicted in film/TV. Help me add to the list!

Invisible Woman, War Machine, Lucius Fox (not a superhero, but I'll add him), Nick Fury, Storm, Catwoman, Blade, Hancock
    Last edited by Calliope; 06-09-2014 at 04:01 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Take a victory when you can, even if it's a small one. Are there any Maori superheroes?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't seen a ton of X-Men but there was one, Storm I think she's called? That I absolutely loved when I was a little girl because I had a doll of her and she had pretty hair

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yes, Storm is one of the X-Men.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Take a victory when you can, even if it's a small one. Are there any Maori superheroes?
    Other than Maui? Nah.

And yes, I edited my previous post to try make a list and perhaps glean a more substantial victory! I'm trying to be grateful instead of fuming over "ugh bishop = angry black man packing heat as only black man in movie" xDD

PS - This is pretty interesting, I'm not done reading it yet though.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Bishop didn't come off as any more angry than any of the other mutants being attacked.

Zoe Saldana is in Guardians of the Galaxy, albeit, she's playing a green alien.

Kingpin was re-imagined as a black man for Daredevil.

I've already mentioned Falcon in Captain America & Johnny Storm in the F4 reboot.

Morgan Freeman was in the Batman Trilogy.

Wraith in Wolverine Origins.

Agent Trip, Agent May, Dethlok, "Flowers" & Skye are all minority characters in Agents of SHIELD.

Most of the cast of The Wolverine was Asian.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Well, wasn't The Wolverine set in Japan? But thanks! Some of those I have mentioned, and some of them I haven't seen, so that's good to know. I'm excited about the new Fantastic Four, although I liked the old Mr Fantastic. I'm about done with this tangent I think, but it's a shame that I have to stretch so much to cobble together a group of characters who are mostly just supporting characters in a sea of white people (see also: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc.).
    Last edited by Calliope; 06-09-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Electro in the new Spidey film was black!

I just saw X-Men. I'm hoping that the next movie will deal us some flashbacks of exactly what happened to Xavier's and Magneto's teams. (SPOILER)Emma, Angel, Azazel, and Riptide were captured, obviously, but how? Did they go down one-by-one or all at once during an assault led by Erik? What about the others? I may have blinked a bit when (SPOILER)Mystique was looking at the pictures in Trask's lab but I don't think the question of what happened to (SPOILER)Banshee was ever truly answered. We know that (SPOILER)Havoc was drafted. Is he coming back?

There's also question as to the correlation between Days and the rest of Logan's history. If (SPOILER)Emma is dead, then who was that girl in (SPOILER)Origins? Obviously, the simplest explanation is that despite splicing scenes from the past movies into Logan's memory flashes, those movies are not canon with the story of First Class and Days of Future Past. But I'm personally hoping that the stinger's introduction of who I assume is the past incarnation (as a pharoah) of (SPOILER)Apocalypse will provide a canon explanation for the existence of (SPOILER)two Emmas... that being two mutants who can turn their skin into diamond perhaps in saying she was resurrected in a younger body which is supposedly within his span of power. It is somewhat difficult to imagine how a movie/story featuring (SPOILER)Apocalypse can precede the original trilogy chronologically. I suppose the in-story explanation would have to be that Xavier uses Cerebro to erase the event from the memories of people all across the world.

Another question that arose at watching First Class that hasn't been answered is that Beast designed and built Cerebro... but in the original X-Men movie, Xavier told Logan that Erik helped him build it. I'm hoping the next movie shows Cerebro being destroyed and, of course, being needed for the plot, Magneto helps to re-"build" it. That's the only explanation left to satisfy the question, imo.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Spiderman was almost a black guy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Kingpin was re-imagined as a black man for Daredevil.
    Unfortunately this did not improve the quality of the movie, but then again nothing could.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockharted View Post
    Electro in the new Spidey film was black!

And Jamie Fox smurfing killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    Well, wasn't The Wolverine set in Japan?
    Yes, but considering Hollywood hasn't been afraid of whitewashing actual minority characters in the past for the sake of having a recognized name in their cast, I'd take it as a victory.

Also, Harry Lennix and Laurence Fishburne were in Man of Steel, the latter of which was playing Perry White, chief editor of the Daily Planet.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Spiderman was almost a black guy.

That would've been awesome. Fun Fact: Joel McHale played a banker in Spiderman 2 of the Tobey Trilogy. I would've hoped they had cast him in that part again.

Also, Jaime Foxx was awesome as Electro.

Mercen-X, there's a LOT of issues w/ continuity in the X-Men franchise. I hope whatever they do now, they can get it all together. As for the Wolverine stuff, I hope Wolverine 3 answers all of our questions.

What do you think they'll call the next Wolverine movie?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.