Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stores Without Cardreaders

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

man even the guy selling strawberry preserves at the park yesterday had a card reader on his iphone

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Yeah, SQUARE and other such pay-by-phone things are super awesome.

There's an awesome dive bar here in town that I love, but it's been cash only since the day it opened. I only get cash now when I plan on going to Tanstaafl or bar-hopping in general, because it's easier to budget rather than open a tab and accidentally spend $400 at a bar.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I use my credit card for almost everything, but I do like to keep $50-60 cash in my wallet. Sometimes my colleagues and I will go out for a happy hour somewhere and share appetizers, and then it's nice to have some cash to help split a bill or leave a tip. And I'll make some smaller purchases with cash.

Stores without card readers are still very annoying, even if continuously less common.

Blog Entries

I get tips so I usually always have some cash on me, which is nice because most gas stations around here charge 10 cents less a gallon when paying with cash. Also I worked at a shop a couple years ago that didn't have a card reader, or a computer for record keeping for that matter. It was kind of embarrassing to tell clients "I'm sorry, we live in the stone age here".... I don't think that shop owner will ever get with the times, technology scares her

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh. I just remembered. My barber doesn't have a card reader. And that is really annoying because their ATM doesn't work either.

Also. I need to go get my hair cut.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I continually misread this thread title as "Stories without Caretakers".

I don't even.

Blog Entries

It's a real problem for caretakers working on the story above who have to pick up the slack.

there was a picture here

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    Oh. I just remembered. My barber doesn't have a card reader. And that is really annoying because their ATM doesn't work either.

Also. I need to go get my hair cut.
    Your barber doesn't have a card reader but they have their own ATM? I don't even...
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

NFC 4 lyfe suckas

Blog Entries

I don't even know what a card reader is... I use cash most the time. Debit card for online purchasing and bills. Checks for rent. I don't want any of this Newfangled crap. I hole punched that stupid little microchip out of m debit card.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Why. Do you think the government can track you less if you use your card the old fashioned way?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

In New Zealand, even door to door salespeople had their EFTPOS terminals attached to their belts. If somewhere didn't take card then it was basically an easy way to lose customers.

Coming to the UK was like walking back in time for me. Only about half of the corner shops accept card. Good luck finding an ice cream van that will accept card, too. I dunno if it's just the places I've been, but yeah, cash is still very much in use on this end of the world. Most decent organisations will still have cards, though, and one of the two corner shops just outside our block of flats takes card now too. Shames it's the grumpy one... the other people are way friendlier, and they get our service because of that.

I tend to carry a few coins on me but not much. I don't like small change, only a couple of £1 coins will meet my general needs (mostly for the sake of getting a shopping trolley).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Why. Do you think the government can track you less if you use your card the old fashioned way?
    A) I don't have a credit card
    B) I only have a debit card and have run across people who's card have been wrongly picked up by the readers and charged for things they didn't buy. I don't want that to happen to me
    C) yes, its a RFID chip so it can be tracked and picked up.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I never said you had a credit card. I said "card". You never said it was an RFID chip either . Cards over here usually only have a chip that you need to insert into a machine and then input a code. It's functionally the exact same as swiping a card with a magnetic stripe, except that in my experience, the chips last longer than the magnetic stripes do before card readers start getting problems reading them.

I also wonder how people would manage to pay for things they didn't intend to pay for though. Don't you need to input your PIN when you use NFC cards? I would never want to have something that didn't require me to prove who I was before paying, and I find it hard to believe that you actually have cards over there where this is possible. The NFC cards I do have (public transit card, work access card) also have a really short range. I need to be within 5-10 cm of the reader and keep it stationary for a second or two for them to register it, so I doubt it would be a more reliable way for people to keep track of where you are (compared to how you'd normally use a debit/credit card), unless you are the kind of person who brushes your wallet up against every detector-like thing you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    In New Zealand, even door to door salespeople had their EFTPOS terminals attached to their belts. If somewhere didn't take card then it was basically an easy way to lose customers.
    I haven't had a door to door salesman at my door in... almost forever, but everyone who delivers food or such on your door have wireless card readers with them. I doubt I'd order pizzas anywhere near as often as I do if I couldn't pay with my card.

A place that doesn't accept my card digitally is likely to not get a purchase by me. It's as simple as that. Coins are heavy, notes are bothersome. When I want to travel really light, I just put my card into phone's protective case and that's it.
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-28-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's really annoying on my University campus as there's only two cash machines and they're right next to each other, and the building they're in closes at like 8:00 or 9:00 in the evening.

This is usually fine, as the vending machines take card. But for some reason, both food places on campus do not take card. There's a fantastic pizza internet cafe place, and a learning cafe, and both don't have card readers. I don't understand it. At least make it a '£5 or more' rule or something.

It is annoying. It's why I try to have around £20 or so on me. Just in case.